Which Keyboard do you use?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying I'm not a keyboard aficionado ... I haven't extensively used the Google keyboard, Swiftkey, etc. But I have tried each at one time or another ... and I just keep going back to the stock Samsung keyboard. I used that 99% of the time on my S4, and am using it now on my S6.

I think the layout is great, you can adjust the size, the "swype" function works great (including the predictive text, though I don't use that very much), etc. I like that I don't need another app/keyboard installed too ...

RyanG220

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I came over to the S6 from the M9 and I was actually pretty impressed with the Samsung keyboard. It feels pretty solid. Swiftkey is my default, but I've been known to switch things up from time to time by going back to the Samsung keyboard and even using the Google keyboard.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Same. Samsung stock keyboard is actually quite good. I love the spacing between the keys which is something most 3rd party keyboards dont have.

With Swiftkey i find myself constantly hitting the space bar when trying to hit the bottom layer letters...the space bar is too big and i cant find an adjustment for it...went back to Samsung's for now.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
With Swiftkey i find myself constantly hitting the space bar when trying to hit the bottom layer letters...the space bar is too big and i cant find an adjustment for it...went back to Samsung's for now.

I know what you mean. I had the same problem.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Been using SwiftKey for more than a year, tried a few others.

Began to realise lately there are compromises in any keyboard layout.
(duh!)

Not crazy about swiping left and right for exclamation and question marks, but I have the arrow keys taking space.
Samsung's layout on the Note 3 is a PITA, so hopefully they have improved as mentioned.

Not got an S6, but may do.

Using SwiftKey on a 'smaller' screen than 5.7 would be a harder test for it, and my fingers. I don't know how I typed on an S2, or do on my Moto G 2013, but I am more inaccurate and hate it.

Come to think of it this may be another factor to push me towards a Note 4 or 5.

I don't know if carriers do 14 day returns in the UK, though I have bought outright in the past when the price drops a little; so it's more of a gamble for me if I end up mistyping constantly on an S6.

It's funny you mention this. The single biggest thing I don't like about my S6 is the smaller keyboard than my Note 3. I'd gotten so used to it that it's now taking me some effort to get used to this smaller one.

I loved swype on the Not 3, but it's not working very well on the s6 for some reason. I tried Swiftkey, but while it's better than Swype now, it's still not that great. I'm currently using Google keyboard and it's been by far the best for me yet. Which is funny because it sucked on the Note.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It's funny you mention this. The single biggest thing I don't like about my S6 is the smaller keyboard than my Note 3. I'd gotten so used to it that it's now taking me some effort to get used to this smaller one.

I loved swype on the Not 3, but it's not working very well on the s6 for some reason. I tried Swiftkey, but while it's better than Swype now, it's still not that great. I'm currently using Google keyboard and it's been by far the best for me yet. Which is funny because it sucked on the Note.

Glad someone recognises an issue, if only when coming from a larger screen.

I haven't had a 5.1" screen, only the Note 3 or much smaller devices.

I might not find the smaller screen with a higher resolution a problem for browsing and reading (and it's convenient), I would just need to find a keyboard to adapt to.

Just shows then it's best to try a few keyboards on a new device.

Interesting SwiftKey doesn't suit the S6 for you. I squeeze a lot of keys into Landscape mode on the Note 3, and those are as small as I wanted to go.

I may need to type differently, though I rely a lot on predictions still.

ivanmmj

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the stock Samsung keyboard. It's pretty decent and I love having the extra number row. It also takes less steps to enter a question mark without having to use the Sym option.

#sprintemployee

jrowlings

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey... except one problem. When using the quick reply pop up box in Handcent or Chomp... the secondary keyboard (long press keys) don't work for me. I've not found a setting to correct this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad someone recognises an issue, if only when coming from a larger screen.

I haven't had a 5.1" screen, only the Note 3 or much smaller devices.

I might not find the smaller screen with a higher resolution a problem for browsing and reading (and it's convenient), I would just need to find a keyboard to adapt to.

Just shows then it's best to try a few keyboards on a new device.

Interesting SwiftKey doesn't suit the S6 for you. I squeeze a lot of keys into Landscape mode on the Note 3, and those are as small as I wanted to go.

I may need to type differently, though I rely a lot on predictions still.

Yeah I love my Note 3, I'm definitely keeping it, but I'm keeping the S6 also, as is just much better tech.

After I made my comment yesterday I decided to give SwiftKey another try and is working out pretty well for me.

Coopsdm

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Been really struggling with the s6 keyboard so just swapped to SwiftKey.... Really impressed so far.... Very responsive and the auto correct is so far nailing what I wanted everytime

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I might have to eat crow on this one. Since getting my replacement S6 on Thursday (due to bad home button), I've been using the default keyboard exclusively and finding that it actually gives SwiftKey a run for its money. It seems to have similar smarts in terms of word prediction, and I find the lighter theme kind of refreshing (admittedly, I could just use a different theme with SwitfyKey). At the moment, I left the sound effects turned on, though I don't know how long I'll keep that up. If you don't care to enter words by swiping, you can configure it so that swiping moves the cursor around. I really like the idea of this feature, though you have to do it just right or it thinks you're trying to type a letter.

Anyway, if you've been a long-time SwiftKey user like me and didn't really give the new S6 keyboard a fair shake, you might be surprised.

And that experiment is now over. Back to SwiftKey. Gradually, I came to realize that the default Samsung keyboard just can't match SwiftKey in terms of word prediction, and that's the most important factor by far if you want to get your thoughts down as quickly and accurately as possible.