iPhone to s6 edge

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Iphone is good out the box, with android I always find I need about three days to set everything up the way I like. Just changing the keyboard or choosing a a default messaging app or setting up a launcher can give a completely different experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have but it was back in 2009? I believe it was a Motorola. Haven't had one since then. My only worry is that battery issue. I'm worried that it's a hardware defect and then ill be stuck with a defective device :/

It's not affecting all devices. I have an S6 on ATT and the battery life is the best of any phone I've owned and I also own a Note 3 (love it, but it's slightly too big for me too carry around).

pixeline

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So are there any maintenance tasks one should do every now and then to keep the phone running smoothly?

I have two maintenance task I swar by

1. A daily reboot. I start the day by checkking Play store for updates. After that I reboot my phone. I have done that as long as I have had smartphones and they have repaid me by smooth and problem free running. It clears away the cobwebs and starts the memory fresh every day :)

2. A couple of times a month I use CCleaner (from Play store). It clears cache and get rid of junk (empty files and folders and whatever else you want it to). I have tried several cleaning apps - but this one is the least intrusive. It doesnt get ny bright ideas of its own. Does what it is asked to - and nothing else.

I do also have Avast anti virus running in the background ... but to be quite honest, I'm not sure it's nessecary. BUT - better safe than sorry!

pix

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the iPhone 6 plus then note 4 then s6. All great devices but for me , the s6 is the best choice

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Nerf72

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you do get an android (coming from IOS), for God sake don't get caught up in all of the voodoo pushed out by (Android and IOS) users alike.
*Take a few minutes to read the quick guide to android (Its a google booklet on the play store)
*Set your phone up properly with a google account/store etc
*Give the phone a few days/cycles to settle down
*Make sure everything is up to date (check the update setting )
*Spend a few minutes going through all of the settings and sub menus one-by-one to get you upto speed as to what and why the phone works
*Remember its not an iphone (ie, you don't need any program to load music etc to it, just drag and drop)
*Set up your google accounts to ensure photo backups, cloud services etc.
*Take advantage of google NOW and "OK Google". Its really, really good (You could install the google launcher of you do like it!)
*Try to use hangouts. Its really good if you give it a chance (the desktop plugin is awesome)
*Enjoy :)

If it was me, i'd get a wireless charger as well. Use the tech the phone is supplied with! Go and buy a few NFC tags, have a play, you might find them useful (or not).

But really, my first point is the most important. Geeks and nerds like to rummage into the guts of android and start doing stuff to it because they can. Android doesn't need that (anymore) Set it up and use it as Samsung intended.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Maintenance:

I've been using Android now for 10 months, never installed any anti virus software and have been completely clear of problems. When i had my S3 it was a different story, i think android has come a long way since then. Just be cautious of the apps you install and you'll be fine. Samsung touch wiz has some form of security built in, whether its good or not I'm unsure but it's all I will use.

Regular maintenance, honestly there isn't really much required. I clear my.cache ever week or so and takes a few seconds, otherwise I've done nothing else after I completed the configuration settings that make me satisfied with the phones performance (battery life, what to keep off/on, etc).

Posted via S6

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 and an S6 Edge. Prefer the Edge over iPhone, but, messaging on android is frustrating.
Sometimes MMS won't work, a lot of the time, they do.
Sometimes, android sends a text message twice, at random, for no reason at all.
Auto correct on iOS is better. iMessage is 10X better than anything android has.
But, iOS is boring. You can't even put icons where you want on the screen thanks to auto arrange.
You can't have any real widgets ( iOS lock screen widgets don't count as a real widget)
Customization is what wallpaper you chose.
iOS apps, in some cases are better than their android cousins. Some apps aren't any different at all.

Both OS' are great. Just be aware, things ARE different. You give up some stuff for customization.
You gain some stuff for giving up iOS. There are trade offs. Only you can decide if the trade offs are worth the switch.

Try the Samsung. You will love it. If not, you have 14 days. take it back for a refund.
Just don't trade in / sell your iPhone until you're sure about the switch.

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I decided to give the edge a try. I've had it for a couple of days already and so far I'm very impressed so far by how much android OS has changed. I'm not sure if I have a battery problem since it's still going through it's cycles but how do you check how many Sot hrs you're getting?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I decided to give the edge a try. I've had it for a couple of days already and so far I'm very impressed so far by how much android OS has changed. I'm not sure if I have a battery problem since it's still going through it's cycles but how do you check how many Sot hrs you're getting?

Im getting between 4-5 SoT, it depends on what im doing while the screen is on. Browsing can allow the battery to drain much faster than using intensive apps such as games.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Can you comment on battery life on s6 vs ip6? as a switching iphone user, I'd like to know what im getting myself into in terms of battery. I hear a lot of people complaining about the s6 battery -- but I think apple has a lower bar set in that department (due to putting form above battery life) and s6 may be comparable or even better.

Android users are spoiled by huge batteries in most flagships, so I'm hoping their complaints will equate to adequate battery life for what a former iphone 6 user is accustomed to.

I have an iPhone 6 and an S6 Edge. Prefer the Edge over iPhone, but, messaging on android is frustrating.

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I was in your position 2 years ago when I made the switch from the iPhone 4S to the S4. I had owned several iphones and was just bored with them and wanted to try something new.

At first, there was a little uneasiness, as I was used to how the iPhone operated, but it didn't take long to adjust and learn to like the S4 as much or more than the previous iphones. They are all great products, but each my have features that are more valuable to different individuals.

I hope that you enjoy your transition. I'm upgrading in a week and I'm still torn between the S6 and the edge. Originally, I was going to get the edge, then the S6 took the lead, now the edge has caught up and has the momentum.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi- I'm strongly considering buying the s6 edge bc it's design is just amazing. I never thought I would say a Samsung product looks better than an iPhone but on this one I definitely think so. For the people that switched from iPhone to s6, was it worth it?

If you own an iPhone 6 plus and battery life is important to you, do not switch.

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I was in your position 2 years ago when I made the switch from the iPhone 4S to the S4. I had owned several iphones and was just bored with them and wanted to try something new.

At first, there was a little uneasiness, as I was used to how the iPhone operated, but it didn't take long to adjust and learn to like the S4 as much or more than the previous iphones. They are all great products, but each my have features that are more valuable to different individuals.

I hope that you enjoy your transition. I'm upgrading in a week and I'm still torn between the S6 and the edge. Originally, I was going to get the edge, then the S6 took the lead, now the edge has caught up and has the momentum.

Yeaa I've noticed pros and cons to both OS already. Only thing that I don't like is that I feel as if the battery drains more when it's on standby. Other than that, very satisfied with my purchase

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeaa I've noticed pros and cons to both OS already. Only thing that I don't like is that I feel as if the battery drains more when it's on standby. Other than that, very satisfied with my purchase

I agree, i also believe iPhone drains less battery during idle state. But I do think this is related to how iPhone idle processes as oppose to android which has specific processes always running (like a pc). Too bad we don't have the option built into the os to shut off most unnecessary things while in idle state.

Posted via S6