iPhone to s6 edge

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi- I'm strongly considering buying the s6 edge bc it's design is just amazing. I never thought I would say a Samsung product looks better than an iPhone but on this one I definitely think so. For the people that switched from iPhone to s6, was it worth it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say so. I had the Note 4 .. then went to the iPhone 6+ for awhile to try Apple out (I had them back in the day). It wasn't bad... I enjoyed my 6+ but knew I would come back to Android once something came out .. And the S6 was it.

The S6 feels very snappy and the design is great. I did get a case because I wanted a kick stand but .. Honestly one of my favorites features is the wireless charging. I keep my phone in the same spot at home pretty much so it is nice to just have a pad there and .. while it sits it charges :D. I would suggest going to a store if I were you and play around with it to see.

Have you ever used Android before?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi- I'm strongly considering buying the s6 edge bc it's design is just amazing. I never thought I would say a Samsung product looks better than an iPhone but on this one I definitely think so. For the people that switched from iPhone to s6, was it worth it?

I used the iPhone 6 for a couple of months last year (eventually went to a Note 4). It's a fantastic phone in almost every way. I have to admit, I was a little worried about bending it as I had a few friends that were able to do it with the 6+ without trying, but my device held up just fine. To compare the two, they're very different. I'd say that iOS is ever-so-slightly smoother than Android still, but even with Touchwiz, the S6 Edge flies. The touch response, typing experience, and overall UI performance is very comparable to the iPhone 6. So much so that the jump between the two isn't going to leave you wanting. Almost everything else about the S6 Edge, however, is superior. The screen is just ridiculous. Auto brightness works very well and even goes into super contrast/brightness mode when in direct sunlight under that mode. You won't have any issues using it outside. The actual edges, while not as useful as they could be right now, still feel amazing to swipe menus in on. Typing with the edges feel natural, too.

The camera is better than the iPhone 6. The 6+ is a little closer, but the camera between the S6 and iPhone 6 sees the S6 as the winner. It's fast, it produces excellent images, excellent video, and launches with a double tap of the home button. The fingerprint sensor is every bit as good, or better, than TouchID. It has an amazing in-hand feel, but it's not for everyone. Hold one first.

Battery life gets discussed ad nauseum here, but it's not terrible. Some devices get saddled with cell standby/WiFi/Google Services bugs and it can affect battery life. Even so, some tweaks can make it manageable until 5.1.1 is out (which Samsung is working on). If you're not seeing those issues, however, your battery life should be very solid. Mine certainly is.

Overall, I'd say this is a good jump for you, but it all comes down to iOS vs Android. If you're not tied to Apple's ecosystem, I highly recommend the S6 Edge. In my opinion, it's the best smartphone on the planet right now.

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I would say so. I had the Note 4 .. then went to the iPhone 6+ for awhile to try Apple out (I had them back in the day). It wasn't bad... I enjoyed my 6+ but knew I would come back to Android once something came out .. And the S6 was it.

The S6 feels very snappy and the design is great. I did get a case because I wanted a kick stand but .. Honestly one of my favorites features is the wireless charging. I keep my phone in the same spot at home pretty much so it is nice to just have a pad there and .. while it sits it charges :D. I would suggest going to a store if I were you and play around with it to see.

Have you ever used Android before?

I have but it was back in 2009? I believe it was a Motorola. Haven't had one since then. My only worry is that battery issue. I'm worried that it's a hardware defect and then ill be stuck with a defective device :/

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I used the iPhone 6 for a couple of months last year (eventually went to a Note 4). It's a fantastic phone in almost every way. I have to admit, I was a little worried about bending it as I had a few friends that were able to do it with the 6+ without trying, but my device held up just fine. To compare the two, they're very different. I'd say that iOS is ever-so-slightly smoother than Android still, but even with Touchwiz, the S6 Edge flies. The touch response, typing experience, and overall UI performance is very comparable to the iPhone 6. So much so that the jump between the two isn't going to leave you wanting. Almost everything else about the S6 Edge, however, is superior. The screen is just ridiculous. Auto brightness works very well and even goes into super contrast/brightness mode when in direct sunlight under that mode. You won't have any issues using it outside. The actual edges, while not as useful as they could be right now, still feel amazing to swipe menus in on. Typing with the edges feel natural, too.

The camera is better than the iPhone 6. The 6+ is a little closer, but the camera between the S6 and iPhone 6 sees the S6 as the winner. It's fast, it produces excellent images, excellent video, and launches with a double tap of the home button. The fingerprint sensor is every bit as good, or better, than TouchID. It has an amazing in-hand feel, but it's not for everyone. Hold one first.

Battery life gets discussed ad nauseum here, but it's not terrible. Some devices get saddled with cell standby/WiFi/Google Services bugs and it can affect battery life. Even so, some tweaks can make it manageable until 5.1.1 is out (which Samsung is working on). If you're not seeing those issues, however, your battery life should be very solid. Mine certainly is.

Overall, I'd say this is a good jump for you, but it all comes down to iOS vs Android. If you're not tied to Apple's ecosystem, I highly recommend the S6 Edge. In my opinion, it's the best smartphone on the planet right now.

I'm bored of using the iPhone so a new change of system would not be bad at all. I've played with the s6 at the AT&T store and it was great. The design and display were amazing. Surprisingly responsive. I guess my main worry is the battery bug and how will the OS hold up over time? Androids are notorious for their "lagginess".

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm bored of using the iPhone so a new change of system would not be bad at all. I've played with the s6 at the AT&T store and it was great. The design and display were amazing. Surprisingly responsive. I guess my main worry is the battery bug and how will the OS hold up over time? Androids are notorious for their "lagginess".

I completely get the "bored of iPhone" concept, I had my 5S for 7 months and while the OS was solid it was a snore. Android gives you the customization flexibility to change things up, design and features whenever you like. As for the "lag over time" thing, I had my Nexus 5 for 9 months and it never slowed down once...but that was stock Android. The S6 is my first Samsung since the S3, so i hope the experience holds up. My sister still has an S3 and after all the updates it surprisingly runs very well. All the guys at work with S4/S5 have no complaints.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I wish I could answer the battery question for you. Right now, with Google working on fixing these bugs for Lollipop, it's a toss up. There's those of us that are getting excellent battery life and those of us that aren't. I know Samsung is working on 5.1 for both variants, but when that'll be released is anyone's guess. If you're willing to make a few tweaks and be patient if you unfortunately get hit with these bugs, this won't be a bad decision. The phone is that good.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

blackhawksfan75

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't believe this is a valid argument anymore as it was a few years back. You can just transfer your iTunes library over to the Google Play music store with ease. Most free (not sure if paid apps work the same way) apps/games nowadays are available on both platforms with options to either login with Facebook or your email account and can carry on without losing progress. .

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I completely get the "bored of iPhone" concept, I had my 5S for 7 months and while the OS was solid it was a snore. Android gives you the customization flexibility to change things up, design and features whenever you like. As for the "lag over time" thing, I had my Nexus 5 for 9 months and it never slowed down once...but that was stock Android. The S6 is my first Samsung since the S3, so i hope the experience holds up. My sister still has an S3 and after all the updates it surprisingly runs very well. All the guys at work with S4/S5 have no complaints.

That's very encouraging to hear. I also want to be a rebel by going to "dark side" 😎

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could answer the battery question for you. Right now, with Google working on fixing these bugs for Lollipop, it's a toss up. There's those of us that are getting excellent battery life and those of us that aren't. I know Samsung is working on 5.1 for both variants, but when that'll be released is anyone's guess. If you're willing to make a few tweaks and be patient if you unfortunately get hit with these bugs, this won't be a bad decision. The phone is that good.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Well, I guess if it's a hardware defect Samsung will probably exchanged it? Also how does the glass back and front hold up? Any scratches?

cajunB

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
what i can say for sure is that the camera is AMAZING on the S6.

and also it responses IMMEDIATELY to any app selections and movements without any delay

ThyWillBeDone

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
If you're bored of the IOS sytem and would like to try something new out then the Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge is for you. They made the phone much more user friendly and the phone looks great. If you've been out in the market looking for a new phone, then I say give it a shot!

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe this is a valid argument anymore as it was a few years back. You can just transfer your iTunes library over to the Google Play music store with ease. Most free (not sure if paid apps work the same way) apps/games nowadays are available on both platforms with options to either login with Facebook or your email account and can carry on without losing progress. .
Paid apps are only paid for on one platform. I doubt many people would want to re-buy their apps so they can change platforms. That could get expensive.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
To touch on the android "lagginess"... Whenever I have a friend complain about Android I ask them about their device. It's never a flagship device.

It's not much of a comparison if you're going to say a $700 iOS device is better than a $100 android device... of course it is. This happens all the time with laptops as well. People try to compare a $1300 Macbook Pro to a $400 HP running Windows and expect the same quality. This is where quality devices like the S6 are going to stand out.

I love my android devices. I'm not saying iOS is horrible I just don't prefer it. I love how open and customizable everything is. I usually tell people that iOS vs android comes down to what you want. If you want to just have a phone, aren't a very tech savvy person, just want a few apps, and don't spend a lot of time on your device iOS could be the better choice. If you love technology and want to play around with customizing etc android is a great choice.

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
To touch on the android "lagginess"... Whenever I have a friend complain about Android I ask them about their device. It's never a flagship device.

It's not much of a comparison if you're going to say a $700 iOS device is better than a $100 android device... of course it is. This happens all the time with laptops as well. People try to compare a $1300 Macbook Pro to a $400 HP running Windows and expect the same quality. This is where quality devices like the S6 are going to stand out.

I love my android devices. I'm not saying iOS is horrible I just don't prefer it. I love how open and customizable everything is. I usually tell people that iOS vs android comes down to what you want. If you want to just have a phone, aren't a very tech savvy person, just want a few apps, and don't spend a lot of time on your device iOS could be the better choice. If you love technology and want to play around with customizing etc android is a great choice.

So are there any maintenance tasks one should do every now and then to keep the phone running smoothly?

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you're bored of the IOS sytem and would like to try something new out then the Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge is for you. They made the phone much more user friendly and the phone looks great. If you've been out in the market looking for a new phone, then I say give it a shot!

I might. I'm 80% convinced I should get the s6 edge

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So are there any maintenance tasks one should do every now and then to keep the phone running smoothly?

I have found the most important thing is to maintain your apps list.
This means a few things:
- Making sure your installed apps are up to date.
- Making sure you actually use or have a need for apps that you keep installed. (No "clutter")
- Not installing apps with an overall bad rating or a majority of negative reviews.

Friends who come to me and hand me their phone and ask me to fix something. It's almost always because they are having issues with a bad app like ads popping up or "Force Close" messages from something they probably should never have installed. Google is getting better at filtering these out but some still exist. These issues usually come from what I call "crapware". Things like coupon apps, unknown anti-virus apps, or battery saving apps.

Stay away from those battery saver apps. In early versions of android and before hardware was better they were somewhat useful. With new versions of android and certainly with good devices like the S6 these will most likely just cause problems. These apps will check every few minutes for things to close and many times it's a service or something required that the phone will just start right back up. Then your phone is just opening/closing things constantly which uses more energy than just letting it sit idle.

As for the anti-virus and security apps... I like the security side of the features like Lookout and others that provide tools to remotely find, erase, and lock your phone. Some even let you remotely capture pictures with the camera to help find who has it or send you an email if someone puts in the wrong password too many times. The anti-virus part seems rather useless to me. If you stay away from the apps with bad reviews and only install things from the Play Store you won't have a problem.

As with anything many of us on here have our own opinions. I can only suggest coming here or other android friendly places with questions and ask when you don't like a particular feature or have a problem. The great thing about android is that it's open and you can do most anything with it.

Last edited:

alexander0003

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have found the most important thing is to maintain your apps list.
This means a few things:
- Making sure your installed apps are up to date.
- Making sure you actually use or have a need for apps that you keep installed. (No "clutter")
- Not installing apps with an overall bad rating or a majority of negative reviews.

Friends who come to me and hand me their phone and ask me to fix something. It's almost always because they are having issues with a bad app like ads popping up or "Force Close" messages from something they probably should never have installed. Google is getting better at filtering these out but some still exist. These issues usually come from what I call "crapware". Things like coupon apps, unknown anti-virus apps, or battery saving apps.

Stay away from those battery saver apps. In early versions of android and before hardware was better they were somewhat useful. With new versions of android and certainly with good devices like the S6 these will most likely just cause problems. These apps will check every few minutes for things to close and many times it's a service or something required that the phone will just start right back up. Then your phone is just opening/closing things constantly which uses more energy than just letting it sit idle.

As for the anti-virus and security apps... I like the security side of the features like Lookout and others that provide tools to remotely find, erase, and lock your phone. Some even let you remotely capture pictures with the camera to help find who has it or send you an email if someone puts in the wrong password too many times. The anti-virus part seems rather useless to me. If you stay away from the apps with bad reviews and only install things from the Play Store you won't have a problem.

As with anything many of us on here have our own opinions. I can only suggest coming here or other android friendly places with questions and ask when you don't like a particular feature or have a problem. The great thing about android is that it's open and you can do most anything with it.

Thank you for those suggestions. I'll make sure to follow them. What about deleting the cache? I hear that all the time

Philip Manwaring

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I made the jump recently. I really liked my iPhone, but I've been very happy with the change. Android is a very well designed OS on several levels and I really like the way it works. The notification system is superb (especially after iOS), the background task handling is excellent and very flexible, and you can generally make it do anything you want with a little effort. A certain arcane video format won't play? There's a replacement video player that will handle it. You want to serve media directly from your phone? Sure it'll drain battery, but it's your choice. Want/need to move files around, save back up copies, and otherwise generally exchange data between programs? No worries - file system works just like Windows/OS X. Want your whole calendar to display right on the phone home screen? Simple to do with widgets available right out of the box.

You may have a few quirks here and there, but Android was nothing like the wild west I expected coming from iOS. Fast, smooth, apps work together, and the hardware is superb.

Just be sure to give yourself a little while to re-learn things and get comfortable. Once you get over the initial conversion hump, which isn't terrible in any event, you will be glad you did.

Best,
Philip.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I came over about 1 year ago. I am far from tech savy...there is definitely a learning curve but once you get the hang of things it's really cool. I have never had any lagginess on my devices or any other issues. I switched to an iPhone 6 for about 5 days and just couldn't do it...I'm not saying its not a good phone or a bad OS, I just prefer Android now. I took the iPhone 6 back & got the Galaxy S6. At first I was having battery issues and was thinking maybe I should have stuck with Apple. I took the phone back to the AT&T store, they checked it out and said it was bad, swapped it out and I haven't had any battery issues since (battery lasts me about a day & a half). Like Philip said, it's not the wild west. Its pretty cool what you can do with these phones. Hope this helps some.