Google Play Music rarely plays the last song where it was paused from. To clarify, this is when used via bluetooth in my car. Example: I go to lunch, connect bluetooth to my car, start playing Google Play Music. I get to my destination, pause the music, and I go inside to order my food to go. Come out 5 minutes later, bluetooth automatically connects, and the song is no longer at the 3:28 mark of the song, but rather at 0:00. 9 times out of 10. Yep, everyone once in a while it will work as it should. Had my Galaxy S4 for 2 years, and it ALWAYS played from where the song was paused. So this is driving me crazy. I won't return the phone for this reason, but I am hoping there is a way to fix this.

This app was recommended and it worked initially, like the first 2 times I used it, and now has a success rate of about 20%, marginally better than not using it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.player&hl=en

So here I am, hoping you all have some good news, tricks or fixes for me. Also, does anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only one that listens to music in my bluetooth enabled car and uses Google Play Music. If you do, can you report here if this happens to you, or does it always playback from where it left off? Thanks!
    04-22-2015 06:49 AM
    This drives me nuts also. Its very annoying especially if its a long song and i get back in my car and it starts from the beginning. I use Google Play music and PowerAmp and it happens on both. This never happened on my iPhone. I hope there is a fix.
    04-22-2015 08:48 AM
    I'm also having this problem as well but as an add on, the music metadata isn't being displayed. Sometimes it will but most if the time it says "NO DATA." Music plays fine through the system though.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
    04-22-2015 08:52 AM
    Weird, I am not experiencing this issue. Works for me the way it always has, resuming right where I left off. T-Mobile S6, Stock, unrooted.
    04-22-2015 10:18 AM
    I use an app called "Bluetooth connect & Play" from the playstore, by someone named Carl Parziale. Sorry, my androidcentral account has too few posts to allow me to post links, or I'd just post the play store url.

This is an automation tool that can set preferences based upon connecting / disconnecting to or from a particular device. In my case, I use it for the car stereo. It allows for the following:

As I walk to my car, I enable Bluetooth on the phone (...I normally leave it off, for battery savings).
    When I start the car, my phone connects to the car stereo.
    Upon connection to this bluetooth device, the app automatically starts the music player of my choice (Google Play Music), and from my experience, it always starts where I left off.
    When I turn off the car, my phone obviously disconnects from the car stereo. Upon disconnect, the app (by my choice) then stops the music player and Also turns off Bluetooth for me on my phone.

I'm on an AT&T Galaxy S6, and this works for me.... best of luck.
    04-22-2015 11:32 AM
    LOLLL I thought I was the only one with this problem. Nice to know that there are others hahahaha hopefully they fix it soon
    04-22-2015 11:57 AM
    I use an app called "Bluetooth connect & Play" from the playstore, by someone named Carl Parziale. Sorry, my androidcentral account has too few posts to allow me to post links, or I'd just post the play store url.

This is an automation tool that can set preferences based upon connecting / disconnecting to or from a particular device. In my case, I use it for the car stereo. It allows for the following:

As I walk to my car, I enable Bluetooth on the phone (...I normally leave it off, for battery savings).
    Upon connection to this bluetooth device, the app automatically starts the music player of my choice (Google Play Music), and from my experience, it always starts where I left off.
    When I turn off the car, my phone obviously disconnects from the car stereo. Upon disconnect, the app (by my choice) then stops the music player and Also turns off Bluetooth for me on my phone.

This is the app I linked to and referenced in my original post. It works sometimes, but more times than not it does not play where I left off. I have not used any of the "Tweaks" though. Based on your description, you have checked "Force pause and kill of player" (On BT disconnect force pause/kill) and "Bluetooth off" (When device disconnects)? Can you verify you have checked those options? I just checked those options and will see my results later. Thanks.
    04-22-2015 12:00 PM

I've tried your settings (based on the example you gave) and am not having any better luck. It still only plays back from where it was paused randomly, and it does so maybe 25% of the time at best. I've tried to determine the exact circumstances that make playback work, but it doesn't appear these exact circumstances exist, as I've repeated the same steps when it works and it doesn't work the next time. It's maddening!
    04-23-2015 09:17 AM
    I installed Spotify and gave it a try. So far, 5 out of 5 times, it has played the song right from where it was paused. That is about 5 more times than Google Play Music would playback from where it was paused. Based on that, Google Play Music and the S6 have a quirky issue.

I'm going to be using Spotify (free) for a bit, see how long that works for me while I wait for a fix. If enough time passes without a fix, I guess I'll have to consider paying Spotify every month rather than Google.
    05-01-2015 06:31 AM
    Update: Verizon update to 5.1.1 seems to have fixed this. Have only tried it once, but it worked as it should. Even went from the bluetooth in my car to a portable bluetooth speaker and it remembered it's place in the song. As well as kept the time in the song, which use to reset to 0:00 every time I paused it even if it played from where I paused it. We'll see...but so far good news.
    08-17-2015 10:57 AM
    Google Play Music rarely plays the last song where it was paused from. To clarify, this is when used via bluetooth in my car. Example: I go to lunch, connect bluetooth to my car, start playing Google Play Music. I get to my destination, pause the music, and I go inside to order my food to go. Come out 5 minutes later, bluetooth automatically connects, and the song is no longer at the 3:28 mark of the song, but rather at 0:00. 9 times out of 10. Yep, everyone once in a while it will work as it should. Had my Galaxy S4 for 2 years, and it ALWAYS played from where the song was paused. So this is driving me crazy. I won't return the phone for this reason, but I am hoping there is a way to fix this.

This app was recommended and it worked initially, like the first 2 times I used it, and now has a success rate of about 20%, marginally better than not using it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c.player&hl=en

So here I am, hoping you all have some good news, tricks or fixes for me. Also, does anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only one that listens to music in my bluetooth enabled car and uses Google Play Music. If you do, can you report here if this happens to you, or does it always playback from where it left off? Thanks!
    I have the same exact problem. I don't know if it's because I'm just streaming my music or if the app has an issue. Because it can't be the RAM as I always have about 700 to 800 MB so it shouldn't be the RAM or could it? Anyways I think I'll wait for another update to app, if not I'm gonna start thinking it could be a RAM issue.
    08-17-2015 11:20 AM
    I have the same exact problem. I don't know if it's because I'm just streaming my music or if the app has an issue. Because it can't be the RAM as I always have about 700 to 800 MB so it shouldn't be the RAM or could it? Anyways I think I'll wait for another update to app, if not I'm gonna start thinking it could be a RAM issue.
    I doubt it's RAM, because the Verizon 5.1.1 update fixed this. My Galaxy S4 did not do this, so I think this was a bug introduced with the S6.
    08-17-2015 11:28 AM
    I doubt it's RAM, because the Verizon 5.1.1 update fixed this. My Galaxy S4 did not do this, so I think this was a bug introduced with the S6.
    You might be right. Actually I just cleared the cache and unchecked cache during playback. And that seemed to do the trick for me. It worked this morning. I'll check again later to make sure that fixed the issue for good.
    08-18-2015 02:42 PM
    You might be right. Actually I just cleared the cache and unchecked cache during playback. And that seemed to do the trick for me. It worked this morning. I'll check again later to make sure that fixed the issue for good.
    Well I've had a few more days of use with 5.1.1 and it is still fixed. Works like it should! Which carrier are you with and have you updated to 5.1.1?
    08-19-2015 06:48 AM
    Well I've had a few more days of use with 5.1.1 and it is still fixed. Works like it should! Which carrier are you with and have you updated to 5.1.1?
    I have Sprint. And yes I have. I think Sprint was one of the first to release the update. But I couldn't tell you if the issue was caused because of that update or not because I started using Play Music after I got it. But these is working well for me. I guess I'll just keep it this way for now.
    jimbl likes this.
    08-19-2015 10:09 AM