hello everyone I recently bought a galaxy s6 yesterday it has been great so far! Waaaaay better than any iphone i have ever had :P I am very new and unfamiliar with samsung stuff so I was wondering what are some apps you reccomend or 'must have'? Im a casual user (games, social media, ect) but I am open to try anything

Also I have some other questions, my carrier is verizon but I did get it through best buy (I dont know if that makes a differance or not) and I see they have installed their own bloat ware how do i disable this? Im pretty sure I will never use them.

I am also plauged by this cell stand by issue although I have done a lot of research on the subject I've tried just about everything except the factory reset, which I will do sooner or later depending on this. Should I 'calibrate' my battery first and then do it? Would it make a differance?
    Also, when I go into settings ---> battery there isn't a view of SOT only usage since last fully charged

Another thing. do I have to enable VoLTE to turn it off? What I mean by this is in Settings ----> advanced calling (which im assuming is VoLTE) it says activate advanced calling.

One other thing, my whole family are iphone users they get my texts just fine but when I try and send them pictures (screen shots of all the awesome customazation) they dont recieve them.the message app I use is verizon messages. Being a previous iphone user do I need to disable anything on that phone to make it work or should I just use another message app? (If yes how do I swtich to another message app?)

Thanks for your help and I hope to hear from you guys soon! This phone is seriously the best phone I've ever had very fluid and smooth the camera is AMAZING! No lag no nothings just this cell stand by thing is the only issue so far.
    04-22-2015 08:34 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Glad you are liking your new toy!!
    -As for the Cell standby, I am not sure what to suggest as I don't have an S6. I have heard of the problem, but I haven't (and should) been keeping up with solutions.
    -There is no need to calibrate the battery. A reset may not be a bad idea, if you got a couple system updates to the device.
    -There should be a screen on time report. Go to Settings>Battery>then click on the screen listing. That should break down how long your screen has been on.
    -VoLTE...I am not sure. I have heard conflicting reports over extended battery life with it off.
    -iPhone users...if they are using iMessage, that may be part of the problem. Can you clarify if they are?

Again, welcome to the forums. I will flag down a couple Ambassadors/Mods who have an S6 who might be able to elaborate on your questions.
    dpham00 and sswimp like this.
    04-22-2015 08:47 AM
    Advanced calling on Verizon...to use it, your have to activate the feature on Verizon. If you do not wish to use it, you do not need to activate it. If it is activated then you can turn off advanced calling,if you don't want to use it

new to samsung!-uploadfromtaptalk1429711177026.jpgnew to samsung!-uploadfromtaptalk1429711189762.jpg

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    04-22-2015 09:01 AM
    One other thing, my whole family are iphone users they get my texts just fine but when I try and send them pictures (screen shots of all the awesome customazation) they dont recieve them.the message app I use is verizon messages. Being a previous iphone user do I need to disable anything on that phone to make it work or should I just use another message app? (If yes how do I swtich to another message app?)
    Did you deregister your Phone number from iMessage? If not or for more information follow this link.
    04-22-2015 10:06 AM
    When switching from iPhone to Android, I've found the best and simplest thing to do is to turn off iMessage before you switch and send a few texts to the person you text the most who still has an iPhone to test it out. This has worked for me when I've been plagued by problems in the past.
    04-22-2015 10:18 AM
    1) I would format first, then worry about calibrating the battery later.
    2) For Verizon, if you search the XDA forums, it looks like having advanced calling on helps with battery life. I have it on my phone and no issues with the battery. Also, you will want advanced calling on if you want to talk and surf at the same time.
    3) Not sure about the issue you are having with Message+. I use it all the time to text with my wife who has an iphone, and I haven't had any issues sending or receiving pics. Perhaps as someone suggested above, try to deregister your number from iMessage. I've also heard that you should make sure that the other iphone users should delete any existing threads with your number. Not sure if that would help, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Hope this helps.
    04-22-2015 10:20 AM
    Oh, and to disable bloatware, go to manage applications, then all applications. Select the app you want to disable, then press the disable button.
    04-22-2015 10:22 AM
    There are a couple of settings you may want to try disabling under Settings -> Connections -> Wifi -> More (top right) -> Advanced

1. Network Notification (will not constantly scan for open Wifi networks)
    2. Passpoint (scan for and connect to Passpoint network access points)
    3. Always allow scanning

The cell standby usage appears to actually be related to certain Wifi settings and environments. I've disabled the above and do not have abnormal cell standby usage. Once you get things the way you like them you can always try re-enabling these features.

I've also found that there are a few software updates your phone will pull down over the first couple of days that will improve things. I've had my phone about a week and battery performance is no longer a concern for me.

I hope you get things where you want them and enjoy your new device.
    04-22-2015 12:48 PM