ETA to work app?

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm driving to work today. As I stop at the light I connect my bluetooth and as I go to dial home, I see this notification that says something about ETA to work. I glance at it and it has a little map with my destination (job) and something about traffic, etc.

How I think that's pretty cool (1) I don't recall every inputting my work address or any data of the sort, and (2) I absolutely cannot find what program that was. Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about because I feel silly posting about an app I saw pop up then disappear. LOL. I assume this is maybe some stock app, Samsung tools, or something of the sort? I'm completely lost. I would however like to figure out what it was so I can play with settings, etc. Under the right circumstances I could definitely see it being beneficial. It just took me off guard.

Suggestions?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Google Now. Google knows my work and home address and going to the Google Now cards will show my drive time to Home, Work, and other locations I frequently go.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like Google Now. Google knows my work and home address and going to the Google Now cards will show my drive time to Home, Work, and other locations I frequently go.

I'm almost positive that's what it was. Thank you! I do faintly recall messing with some Google Now settings. But I don't remember. I need to play around with it more. Does it have an option to alter settings online? I haven't seen anything. And I've been reading the website, but not sure I actually understand the cards concept.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It is definitely Google Now cards. If at any point you wish to stop this, or any Google Now cards, each one has three dots on the upper right hand corner, by pressing these, it gives to continue to get that particular card. I have attached a screen shot of what is offered after pressing the three dots..

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 3693.jpg
    3693.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 84

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Since we have a real home button, the normal shortcut for Google Now doesn't work (swipe up from home through all drawer button). Open the GOOGLE app, and you can tweak your card settings there.

The Time to Work/Home card uses Google Maps/Navigation for the most part, but it also inputs data from the Waze app. It really is pretty cool... it will even pop up alternate locations if you do it regularly.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Since we have a real home button, the normal shortcut for Google Now doesn't work (swipe up from home through all drawer button). Open the GOOGLE app, and you can tweak your card settings there.

The Time to Work/Home card uses Google Maps/Navigation for the most part, but it also inputs data from the Waze app. It really is pretty cool... it will even pop up alternate locations if you do it regularly.

Pretty cool. Thanks loraque! I found it nestled in a Google Apps folder. I'm going to have to play with it. Pretty wild how it had some previous Google searches and suggested a television show. Also downloaded that Waze app.

So many toys to play with, so little time.

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Also, you can press and hold the home button to bring up Google Now.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd younmiss the swipe feature, you can install Nova Prime Launcher...aside from the many awesome things it does, it allows yiubtonset up swipe gestures, so you can tell it Swipe Up opens Google Now...

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Also, you can press and hold the home button to bring up Google Now.

Thanks for that! I had done it accident, but did not know how :).

And to the following with Nova... already there! My swipe action on the app drawer icon is for the Play Store though ;).

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I'd younmiss the swipe feature, you can install Nova Prime Launcher...aside from the many awesome things it does, it allows yiubtonset up swipe gestures, so you can tell it Swipe Up opens Google Now...

I'm a S6 noob. Prior to this I had a Motorola Photon 4G that I rooted and tweaked like crazy just to get it to work the way I needed. What is this Nova Launcher? I downloaded it last week because I read somewhere it was needed to update a theme or something. But I guess I really don't understand the concept of these launchers and what all they do. Is there a tut thread somewhere? Or can somebody give me the cliffs notes version?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a S6 noob. Prior to this I had a Motorola Photon 4G that I rooted and tweaked like crazy just to get it to work the way I needed. What is this Nova Launcher? I downloaded it last week because I read somewhere it was needed to update a theme or something. But I guess I really don't understand the concept of these launchers and what all they do. Is there a tut thread somewhere? Or can somebody give me the cliffs notes version?

Nova launcher is just a launcher that gives you some flexibility in the look of the main UI. For example, you can change grid sizes, change the icons by installing icon packs, change margins, change different effects, etc. I use Nova for its features and I love it, but there are plenty of users on here that don't use any 3rd party launcher so Nova is by no means necessary.

The S6 does allow for themes, but these are themes directly from Samsung. Themes will change your UI, icons, color scheme, and wallpapers all in one. You can change your wallpapers again, but the other settings are an all or nothing. You can download more themes through the main phone settings screen. You will see an option for themes. When you get to that setting, you will see themes already installed and you can access the store (top right of the screen) and download more themes.

Note that you can combine the use of Samsung themes with a third party launcher. I'm using the Black Widow theme from Samsung with Nova launcher and the Stealth icon pack.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Nova launcher is just a launcher that gives you some flexibility in the look of the main UI. For example, you can change grid sizes, change the icons by installing icon packs, change margins, change different effects, etc. I use Nova for its features and I love it, but there are plenty of users on here that don't use any 3rd party launcher so Nova is by no means necessary.

The S6 does allow for themes, but these are themes directly from Samsung. Themes will change your UI, icons, color scheme, and wallpapers all in one. You can change your wallpapers again, but the other settings are an all or nothing. You can download more themes through the main phone settings screen. You will see an option for themes. When you get to that setting, you will see themes already installed and you can access the store (top right of the screen) and download more themes.

Note that you can combine the use of Samsung themes with a third party launcher. I'm using the Black Widow theme from Samsung with Nova launcher and the Stealth icon pack.

Gotcha. Ty for that reply. Do you have any screenshots of your theme? I know that's getting off subject here, but just wondered.

Yeah I downloaded Nova just for that reason alone...to have access to change themes. But after looking around, I didn't see too many of interest...outside of this one called Flight Dark, Flight Light? Forget the actually name. And I think that was just an icon pack. Also tried 500 firepaper, but wasn't impressed. But I was just curious about Nova because in the previous post Mike mentioned the many awesome things it did. Wondered what else it did.

Along those same lines of customization...another dumb question. Will any of those launchers let me move the grid to the middle of the bottom tray? I don't know the verbiage. Bottom row of the screen you can place shortcuts to apps. Far right there is the grid that takes you to the list of apps. Anyway to move that grid to the middle? More of an ocd thing for me than anything. lol

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. Ty for that reply. Do you have any screenshots of your theme? I know that's getting off subject here, but just wondered.

Yeah I downloaded Nova just for that reason alone...to have access to change themes. But after looking around, I didn't see too many of interest...outside of this one called Flight Dark, Flight Light? Forget the actually name. And I think that was just an icon pack. Also tried 500 firepaper, but wasn't impressed. But I was just curious about Nova because in the previous post Mike mentioned the many awesome things it did. Wondered what else it did.

Along those same lines of customization...another dumb question. Will any of those launchers let me move the grid to the middle of the bottom tray? I don't know the verbiage. Bottom row of the screen you can place shortcuts to apps. Far right there is the grid that takes you to the list of apps. Anyway to move that grid to the middle? More of an ocd thing for me than anything. lol

Nova changes the bottom of the screen to do as you say. So the bottom row of my phone is set up as "Phone Camera ListApps Hangouts Chrome". Sorry, I can't post a screenshot currently because I'm working 2 stories below ground right now so I don't have internet access on my phone.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I love Google Now! You can really get some useful information on it-- when your favorite TV show is going to be on, calendar appointments, etc. I like to keep the Google Now widget on the screen left of the main homepage (I disable Briefing).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I love Google Now! You can really get some useful information on it-- when your favorite TV show is going to be on, calendar appointments, etc. I like to keep the Google Now widget on the screen left of the main homepage (I disable Briefing).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a good idea nesting it to the left of the home screen. I'm going to try that. Question. When I ended up deleting that screen left to home when I first got the phone. How do you get it back?

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Long press on the home screen. Scroll all the way to the right to the "ghost" screen with the plus to add one. You can then arrange them as you like.

6thSense

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Long press on the home screen. Scroll all the way to the right to the "ghost" screen with the plus to add one. You can then arrange them as you like.

I tried that but it wouldn't let me drag one of those panels to the left of the home screen. I will try again. Maybe I did it wrong.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
You use to be able to drag screens around but idk if you can anymore. You might have to just shift all your icons to get it the way you want it. Maybe someone else will chime in here that knows.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1