Might return my GS6 - but for what?

anon(9422122)

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster here, so go easy on me, lol. :)

Just got a GS6 this past Sunday to replace my S5 (which was all but bricked by the Lollipop update)

I set the S6 up exactly like the S5 was (including a lower screen brightness and such), but so far, the battery is killing me. With only very light use today, the battery is already down 38% since 8am this morning. (yes, I got the Samsung push update, and no, I hardly ever stream music or videos) I've already disabled all the usual suspects, plus more, for a total of 35 disabled apps/services, but I'm more than a bit frustrated at the moment.

So, I'm considering returning it and swapping it for a diff. phone, but which one? The Nexus 6 looks intriguing, but does its bigger battery actually help? OR should I look at the HTC M9?

Thanks!
GMJ

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Just got a GS6 this past Sunday to replace my S5 (which was all but bricked by the Lollipop update)

I set the S6 up exactly like the S5 was (including a lower screen brightness and such), but so far, the battery is killing me. With only very light use today, the battery is already down 38% since 8am this morning. (yes, I got the Samsung push update, and no, I hardly ever stream music or videos) I've already disabled all the usual suspects, plus more, for a total of 35 disabled apps/services, but I'm more than a bit frustrated at the moment.

So, I'm considering returning it and swapping it for a diff. phone, but which one? The Nexus 6 looks intriguing, but does its bigger battery actually help? OR should I look at the HTC M9?

Thanks!
GMJ

Your issue could be caused in part by the Lollipop bug discussed in this forum, therefore you won't be solving anything necessarily.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!
GMJ

I agree with Alex_NJ. The LG g4 is unveiled next week. Why don't you wait and see what it's like?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!
GMJ

M9 battery and camera worse than the GS6. It's also slower than the GS6.

anon(9422122)

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Your issue could be caused in part by the Lollipop bug discussed in this forum, therefore you won't be solving anything necessarily.

Which bug? I see various thread about issues/bugs, so not sure which you're referring to. Thanks! :)

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Look at what led you to the S6 to begin with. Did you get only because you had an S5? For me, when I get a phone, I look at my priorities and how I weight those priorities and then I try to find the device that fits the bill. I can't really offer any educated guess as to what phone you should get because I have no idea what your priorities are or how you would weight them. For example, I really wanted a great camera, wifi charging, large amount of onboard memory, great display, no bigger than 5.2", and speed. Those are specific to me and others might think that some of those are stupid, but I don't care it is what I want.

I say pick on the biggest things you want and then go hunt for a phone that checks that list the best. I know it is a lame answer, but I don't want to just try to point out phones to you. For example, the G4 was off my list due to its screen size, same as Nexus 6, Note 4, etc.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!
GMJ

Note 4 or 6 Plus

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I would suggest doing a hard reset to see if that corrects your battery problem before returning. If you really like the device aside from the battery draining, a lot of users are reporting a factory reset resolved their problems.

TrekScout

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I was about to turn in my Verizon S6 also and I called and talked to a Verizon/Samsung expert (at any place that sells the phone) and got a lot of tips. The BIGGEST thing is that my phone was factory set to Global network mode which makes it thrash inside the USA looking for the other types of signals. When I set it to LTE/CDMA much of my battery issues went away. Also, I turned on Power Save mode, which is under a different icon than in the past and I couldn't find it on the S6. Look under the pencil icon when you pull down the top status bar. This is my 5th Android phone and I thought I could do it alone. I was wrong. The S6 is a different breed.

The "expert" gave me a lot of little tips and tricks like turning off all the things you are not actively using, Wi-Fi, GPS, BlueTooth. I'm not having battery problems now. I hope this helps you also and if not, talk to an expert before you decide.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I was about to turn in my Verizon S6 also and I called and talked to a Verizon/Samsung expert (at any place that sells the phone) and got a lot of tips. The BIGGEST thing is that my phone was factory set to Global network mode which makes it thrash inside the USA looking for the other types of signals. When I set it to LTE/CDMA much of my battery issues went away. Also, I turned on Power Save mode, which is under a different icon than in the past and I couldn't find it on the S6. Look under the pencil icon when you pull down the top status bar. This is my 5th Android phone and I thought I could do it alone. I was wrong. The S6 is a different breed.

The "expert" gave me a lot of little tips and tricks like turning off all the things you are not actively using, Wi-Fi, GPS, BlueTooth. I'm not having battery problems now. I hope this helps you also and if not, talk to an expert before you decide.

Global or lte/cdma neither uses more battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

lutin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the point that's being made is that the G4 battery life might be better. Not saying will be, just saying it might be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie