04-27-2015 08:52 PM
63 123
tools
    Like you said it yourself, another battery thread and another response of please, go to this thread and do a full backup with Samsung's Smarty Switch and try the Wipe Cache Partition and or Wipe data/factory Reset and of course then when you set it up again remove all Bloatware, and turn off Google services you won't use, do the tweaks suggested there and see what happens. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...y-s6-edge.html
    OK so I started following the instructions and I realized half-way through that it almost changes nothing compared to before. I went to recovery mode, cleared the data nad reset the device, restarted, followed the initial setup. And that's when I realized that with your instructions, not much changes from before. Before the reset, I already had all the bloatware disabled, my screen brightness was always on low, location was usually off, and smart network and scanning always available were also off. I have no idea what VoLTE and Wifi calling are, nor could i find the option to disable them on my phone. Bluetooth was always off as well. The only change this time is that some of the sync options for my google stuff are off (newstand, etc.). I could not find a Samsung accounts or how to turn off samsung syncs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    04-23-2015 12:04 AM
    OK so I started following the instructions and I realized half-way through that it almost changes nothing compared to before. I went to recovery mode, cleared the data nad reset the device, restarted, followed the initial setup. And that's when I realized that with your instructions, not much changes from before. Before the reset, I already had all the bloatware disabled, my screen brightness was always on low, location was usually off, and smart network and scanning always available were also off. I have no idea what VoLTE and Wifi calling are, nor could i find the option to disable them on my phone. Bluetooth was always off as well. The only change this time is that some of the sync options for my google stuff are off (newstand, etc.). I could not find a Samsung accounts or how to turn off samsung syncs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    The reset is more than just begin again, is to get rid of all cache and Data files so it can begin from scratch with new system files, a lot of issues on these phones are solved by Wiping Cache and/or data.

When you set the phone the first time it asks you to Create a Samsung Account or to Sign in to an existing one, if you did this you should have a Samsung Account under Settings-Accounts.

Wifi calling and VoLTE are both part of T-mobile features, each carrier has different ones, Sprint has Wifi Calling also, and I think AT&T also has VoLTE but the rest of options and combinations varies between carriers, I'd suggest you look in the actual threads the ones that are more related to your specific carrier, it will provide a better understanding of what the other users of that carrier are doing.
    04-23-2015 07:18 AM
    In almost every one of these threads i see Erasat being downright hostile towards people's FACTUAL posts about battery life issues.

We get it Erasat you love the product It doesn't take away the glaring OUT OF BOX problems it has.

If this was an iPhone problem/Launch it would be #BatteryGate all over the nightline news. Believe it.
    04-23-2015 07:43 AM
    The reset is more than just begin again, is to get rid of all cache and Data files so it can begin from scratch with new system files, a lot of issues on these phones are solved by Wiping Cache and/or data.

When you set the phone the first time it asks you to Create a Samsung Account or to Sign in to an existing one, if you did this you should have a Samsung Account under Settings-Accounts.

Wifi calling and VoLTE are both part of T-mobile features, each carrier has different ones, Sprint has Wifi Calling also, and I think AT&T also has VoLTE but the rest of options and combinations varies between carriers, I'd suggest you look in the actual threads the ones that are more related to your specific carrier, it will provide a better understanding of what the other users of that carrier are doing.
    There's got to be a better way to clear the cached files than a device reset.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-23-2015 08:16 AM
    In almost every one of these threads i see Erasat being downright hostile towards people's FACTUAL posts about battery life issues.

We get it Erasat you love the product It doesn't take away the glaring OUT OF BOX problems it has.

If this was an iPhone problem/Launch it would be #BatteryGate all over the nightline news. Believe it.
    Ehh excuse me, are you seriously talking about me? Hey man, I don't really know what may be your issue with me but tell me where I was hostile here or any other thread, the only thing I do is to come here to help others that need help with my experiences and knowledge, and I clearly remember trying helping you with your issues, sorry if it didn't work for you.

Only 2 posts I have changed the tone was one a couple of weeks ago with techno-guy and I clearly explained to him why, so far, we have kept trying to help each other like adults, and yesterday with stevelan, because this is a guy that have been talking negative about the S6 even before it was released, then he said that got one and just keep doing the same and always comparing it with the iphone, don't keep coming to a S6 forum to try to trash talk it, that's plain simple trolling, provoking and inciting heated discussion. If you don't like the phone don't come here to interrupt what a lot of us are trying to do, to help people with issues.

Now as a side note, I'm not a Native English Speaker, so what you may perceive as a different tone it may easily be what we called "Lost In translation", but, I'm very sure that the only 2 times I indeed changed the tone and directly expressed myself was in the 2 occasions I described above. BUT, if what you are referring to is because of me saying that there are already dozens of threads that can help, is because they are indeed dozens of threads about the same, why create another one to ask the same that has already been asked and already been replied to?

And to end this, and if you haven't read it before, I'm not a Samsung fanboy, In the past year alone I've had Sony, LG, OnePlus, Motorola and Samsung phones, I'm a fan of technology and the phone that satisfy my needs at the moment. If you see me in every thread is because I've been trying to help in every thread, I don't even know where does this comment of yours come from, Show me exactly where I did what you are saying I'm doing, otherwise, don't come here saying such things. Plus, I'd suggest you also to put me in your Ignore list, that way you don't need to see my posts, it works great.
    04-23-2015 08:18 AM
    There's got to be a better way to clear the cached files than a device reset.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    When you go to Recovery Menu you see Wipe cache Partition and separate, Wipe data/Factory reset, so you don't need to do a factory reset to wipe your cache.
    04-23-2015 08:20 AM

Thanks for your tips on this and previous threads. I've been testing and tweaking things to get the 4-5.5 SoT that most are seeing, so far I was getting 3.25 at best. I've just done a factory reset and wipe partition and going through and do some tweaking of features I won't use. I'll see how the next few days god and charge cycles.
    04-23-2015 08:47 AM
    I think >4 hours SOT is pretty ambitious with a 2550 mAh battery. As I'd mentioned in another thread, it just might not be doable based on your usage and how strong your cellular/data signal is where you are. Then you have to decide if you want to change your usage (i.e. turn off more things, turn brightness down even further), top off more frequently, or switch to a different device.
    04-23-2015 08:55 AM

Think you might have the wrong guy, erasat has been super helpful in this and a lot of other posts.
    mferrinda and erasat like this.
    04-23-2015 09:04 AM
    So it's a bit early, but today I've tried turning wi-fi off entirely and so far it seems to be draining less quickly and cell standby is only 1%. I'll post an update later.
    04-23-2015 09:05 AM
    Think you might have the wrong guy, erasat has been super helpful in this and a lot of other posts.
    Thanks man, I really don't understand this guy, I've been more than respectful with everybody even when I don't agree with all of the posts, obviously, but even when I disagree I always try to do it with respect, like I said before, the only 2 times (I know because I did it on purpose) that I changed the tone and directly called out the other guy, were the ones I mentioned above.

But like I mentioned before, you can't please everybody, and that's why sometimes people just stop coming to this forums, it makes you wonder if it really worth it, but then you take a look at the top right corner of any of this forums, where it says MEMBER SHOUTOUTS and under TOP THANKED you see your username there, and then you think that it indeed worth it, and that there are still people that appreciate that you take your free time to try to help others.
    iLL0GiCaL L0GiC likes this.
    04-23-2015 09:15 AM
    I've been on the S6 forum ever since it was a 'rumored' phone. Been watching and reading the posts about a lot of the aspects of the S6 as I will be needing to update my phone in the near term.

I'm a business power user and really need a strong battery or one that can be replaced as I'm in rural areas a lot and generally pop in another spare battery, reboot and under way in less than forty five seconds.

If the 'kinks' get worked out, and I truly hope they do, the S6 is a phone that I could see myself buying. I've got UDP and will be paying full boat for the phone out of pocket.

There's another poster on the forum that must have at least 2500 or more posts on the S6! It's getting to the point where what he says, I cannot read anymore.

Erasat's posts appear to be right on and his commentary is a positive!
    erasat likes this.
    04-23-2015 09:16 AM

I think you're thinking of me, not Erasat. My patience with some of you has gone out the window so I'm not nearly as nice as Erasat is. That said, he's been providing tips and options from day one and it's a shame that some people aren't using them.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    erasat likes this.
    04-23-2015 09:24 AM
    I've been on the S6 forum ever since it was a 'rumored' phone. Been watching and reading the posts about a lot of the aspects of the S6 as I will be needing to update my phone in the near term.

I'm a business power user and really need a strong battery or one that can be replaced as I'm in rural areas a lot and generally pop in another spare battery, reboot and under way in less than forty five seconds.

If the 'kinks' get worked out, and I truly hope they do, the S6 is a phone that I could see myself buying. I've got UDP and will be paying full boat for the phone out of pocket.

There's another poster on the forum that must have at least 2500 or more posts on the S6! It's getting to the point where what he says, I cannot read anymore.

Erasat's posts appear to be right on and his commentary is a positive!
    By how you say you use and what you need for your phone the S6 will never be the one for your kind of use. Software tweaks and updates can never defeat the physical limitations of the battery size itself. A small battery is just that, small. I suggest you look at something else or wait to see what comes down the pipe that might be better.

I live in a rural area and I had to take the S6 back as the battery just can't make it and I can't be tethered to a charger all the time. But that's just my opinion.
    04-23-2015 09:38 AM
    By how you say you use and what you need for your phone the S6 will never be the one for your kind of use. Software tweaks and updates can never defeat the physical limitations of the battery size itself. A small battery is just that, small. I suggest you look at something else or wait to see what comes down the pipe that might be better.

I live in a rural area and I had to take the S6 back as the battery just can't make it and I can't be tethered to a charger all the time. But that's just my opinion.
    I agree! I'm giving the S6 all the time in the world to see if it will work for me given its constraints. I like Samsung's quality and find their screens, voice quality and overall ease of use... all positives.

I would have jumped on the Note 4... but it's really large... and my hands can handle it... but on a belt holster, it's a chunk of high tech.

Currently running an S4, up to date, still runs fine, four spare batteries, car charger..

The ONLY negative to the S6 that I can see is my hesitancy to commit to a non removable battery! And I wonder if this is the direction of all future smartphones.
    04-23-2015 09:45 AM
    I agree! I'm giving the S6 all the time in the world to see if it will work for me given its constraints. I like Samsung's quality and find their screens, voice quality and overall ease of use... all positives.

I would have jumped on the Note 4... but it's really large... and my hands can handle it... but on a belt holster, it's a chunk of high tech.

Currently running an S4, up to date, still runs fine, four spare batteries, car charger..

The ONLY negative to the S6 that I can see is my hesitancy to commit to a non removable battery! And I wonder if this is the direction of all future smartphones.
    Nothing wrong with a non removable battery if it is of adequate size. I just can't tolerate a small non removable battery. See what else will be out that might peak your interest which is the same thing I'm doing. If your phone is still in good working order I would wait as this year has indeed started off with a whimper as smartphones seem to have plateaued.
    04-23-2015 10:03 AM

If you're worried if a new S6 will last you as long as your S4 then don't worrie. The S5 without tweaks should last you longer than your S4. But if you have to swap batterys often, than maybe it's not for you.

Also, sadly us this is the direction that most phones are going in.

Here is my phone with everything turned on and pushing it hard with games and streaming videos.

This was before a few little updates so it may have gotten even better as I get almost zero cell standby now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Another battery thread-147.jpg   Another battery thread-145.jpg  
    04-23-2015 10:12 AM
    Ironically enough, owning an s6 actually makes me want a removable battery now. If I don't put it in power saving mode and turn basically everything off, it doesn't last even half the day.
    04-23-2015 10:54 AM
    Ironically enough, owning an s6 actually makes me want a removable battery now. If I don't put it in power saving mode and turn basically everything off, it doesn't last even half the day.
    Sounds rough. Not having that problem at all, actually.

Attached Thumbnails Another battery thread-263.jpg   Another battery thread-264.jpg  
    04-23-2015 11:25 AM
    I have had phones with poor battery performance before so I know how frustrating it is. I am not much for diving into the deeper levels of configuration and I know we all use our phones differently, but just to let you know there is hope. My verizon g6 was taken off the charger at 3am yesterday when I woke up and checked the time. I got up at 6 and used my phone off and on all day (light usage, but still usage) by 10pm, I was at about 40%. I did enable battery saving but not the ultra saving mode and otherwise my phone is pretty much as it came from Verizon.

So for me, the battery is more than acceptable. I do know this. In the past, my very worst performance with batteries has been when I am in areas of low signal. If the phone is constantly searching for signal that will drain the battery faster than playing a graphics intensive game.

Hope you get it sorted. The battery does have the potential to last all day with light to moderate use.
    04-23-2015 11:35 AM
    turning the phone off for 24 hours
    Your are kidding, I bet most smartphone users can not stand to turn there phone off for 24 minutes and you want 24 hours. A lot of people do not have land line phones, so turning if off for would be tough. I for one would not be able, my phone is the only phone and most of the time my PC is tethered to it for internet access.
    04-23-2015 11:44 AM

I have a Note4 and use a belt holster.

When I first got it I compared it to my S5 and the screen on my S5 looked small. Before that the S5 was perfectly adequate.

So there's no going back me when it comes to screen size now.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    04-23-2015 12:29 PM
    The S6 doesn't have worse battery life than the iPhone 6. It's better. Whether by benchmarks or by anecdotal reviews, it's better. Maybe you have a defective unit or need a factory reset.

He gave an anecdotal review and you're telling him he's wrong. I'm not sure that's fair.

04-23-2015 01:00 PM
    He gave an anecdotal review and you're telling him he's wrong. I'm not sure that's fair.

I don't really care about fair, but I'm also done talking about this. You, or anyone else, can believe what you want about this phone or any other.

04-23-2015 01:41 PM
    If I can charge once a day with medium use I call that good. I was charging twice a day until a Samsung rep told me to change my Mobile Network Mode from Global, to LTE/CDMA for Verizon (or LTE/GSM for ATT and the like). Global setting means the phone is always looking for multiple signals when it only needs to look for your own carrier's 1 type of signal while inside the USA. This and turning on Power Saving Mode helped me a lot. I also turn off things I am not actively using, Wi-Fi, GPS, BT are big battery drains and if you are not using them, shut them down.
    04-23-2015 01:58 PM
63 123