Another battery thread

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Sigh. THe main reason I bought the S6 was because I read the battery was supposed to be relatively decent. But on medium usage, after 9 hours I'm down to 30%. And when I say medium usage, I mean some bus stop schedule checking, very light browsing, maybe 1 hour of screen time in total (with screen set to automatic brightness at the lowest level). Here are some screenshots:

Screenshot_2015-04-22-17-08-30.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-22-17-08-23.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-22-17-08-16.jpg

And on light usage, after 12-15 hours I'm down to 22%:

Screenshot_2015-04-21-23-15-23.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-21-23-15-15.jpg

Is this normal/average? Or is my poor phone stuck with a crap battery?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Looks like your phone will make it past midnight at the current pace and has lasted you almost all day. Not sure how long you're expecting it to go. Are you asking in terms of you plan on using it a lot more tomorrow?

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Looks like your phone will make it past midnight at the current pace and has lasted you almost all day. Not sure how long you're expecting it to go. Are you asking in terms of you plan on using it a lot more tomorrow?

Well no, it won't make it through the day if I stay medium active with it. For example, in 10 minutes of checking Uber and browsing the web, it went from 40% 33%. 10 more minutes like that and it'll go to 20%. And I still have 6 hours to go before I get home!

I just expect, maybe wrongly, that with the kind of usage I have, after 14 hours, I'm still at or above 40%. My screen is not that bright, I don't surf a lot, GPS is usually off, etc.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Like you said it yourself, another battery thread and another response of please, go to this thread and do a full backup with Samsung's Smart Switch and try the Wipe Cache Partition and or Wipe data/factory Reset and of course then when you set it up again remove all Bloatware, and turn off Google services you won't use, do the tweaks suggested there and see what happens. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Just going off your "light usage" image showing it going from about 8am to what looks like 10 or 11ish pm. I've been having battery woes too. Something that definitely seems to have helped was doing a factory reset. Although, mine is worse off than yours, but I might have used it more than you. Currently 9.5 hours since last full charge and down to 23%. Been using it since about 7:30am and expected to die around 8pm. So you're doing better than me anyway.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yep battery life on this thing has been terrible. When my wife and I are out, her iPhone 6 lasts way longer then my s6 does. We both do equal google mapping and she actually takes way more photos then I do. By the time we leave our apartment in the morning till about 5pm, I'm down to 22%. She would still be around 65%.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Try to not let the battery get below 40% before charging it.

2. Something's using the battery that's not showing, or the battery is defective. 10% screen on time in 13 hours should mean about 50-60% charge left, unless Android or Play Store are updating a lot of things, but that should be showing, and I don't even see Android there.

Run GSam Battery Monitor for the next discharge cycle and see what's using the battery. If it still looks about the same, and you can, try fully charging the battery (100% plus 30 minutes), then turning the phone off for 24 hours. If it's less than 98% when you turn it on, something's wrong with the battery or the phone.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yep battery life on this thing has been terrible. When my wife and I are out, her iPhone 6 lasts way longer then my s6 does. We both do equal google mapping and she actually takes way more photos then I do. By the time we leave our apartment in the morning till about 5pm, I'm down to 22%. She would still be around 65%.

That doesn't even sound plausible considering even by benchmarks the S6 has better battery life than the iPhone 6. In fact, that's not even really up for debate (and yes, I've owned both phones).

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
OP, just try what I suggested, don't listen to people that just say that the battery suck and are expecting the phone to work flawless in that department, but have never posted a single Screenshot of the battery stats so we can see what may be wrong or even tell us what exactly has been done to try to fix it.

People, it's obvious that some of you got phones with some wifi settings related Bugs and others the famous Lollipop Google Play services drain bug, but NOT ALL phone are like that, the ones that are working as expected are giving great battery life between 5-6 SoT, stop just spreading this info as it's a fact that this phone will suck, it's obvious that it's not a Design flaw, if people are getting bad battery life is a Software issue in the majorority of cases with the usual hardware exceptions, for those hardware exceptions, just go to your carrier and ask for a replacement.

Now, everything that is software related can be fixed, either via Software updates or via some tweaks, or both, of course this means you should have patience to work with this. Samsung already updated the Samsung Push app that for some people helped with the issue, Google updated Google Play Services and for a lot of people it has also helped, so there is definitely hope for the ones that are still having issues.

There are already dozens of threads that can help those of you that want to try, if you are not one of those, and you don't want to wait for software update to fix it, then just ask for a replacement if you still want to have it or simply return the phone and ask for a refund or whatever you may claim to your carrier. But don't keep saying battery is bad and do nothing about it, you have 2 options or do something and see if that help you or simply give up and move on. If you want to try something yourself, just follow the link I told you in the OP and follow those suggestions or at least the ones you like, and go from there.

OP no, this phone's battery life doesn't suck when the phone is working as expected, why it isn't? then there are different factors affecting it, first, Google 's Lollipop has been plagued ALL devices with mostly the same drain issues, all brands and models are showing the same, not all phones but in some of them, sounds familiar? Then you have the different Carriers software and features, Like T-Mobile's Wifi calling and VoLTE that seems to be causing the majority of the cell Standby issues, Not all of them, but a lot, so again, once the carriers, Google and even Samsung do their part with the bugs that they are obviously receiving at this moment, things can change with just 1 update, then ALL devices should be performing as more than half of the users here and I'm assuming everywhere, giving normal users between 5-6 SoT and Power users between 3.5-4.5 SoT hours.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
That doesn't even sound plausible considering even by benchmarks the S6 has better battery life than the iPhone 6. In fact, that's not even really up for debate (and yes, I've owned both phones).

Benchmarks are irrelevant when they clearly don't reflect what I'm going through. I'm not even steaming video or using my rdio account. So far I've just been taking photos and using google maps. Maybe there will eventually be some magical update that fixes all. So far its been underperforming to my standards.

Today I had to turn on power saving mode in hopes of stretching the battery life more. By around 3:30pm (starting from around 10am) I was down to 40%. Luckily I've resorted to bringing power banks with me now in order to actually last a day out. The wife doesn't even need one at all with her iPhone 6.

So yeah its great that benchmarks are showing otherwise. Who cares.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Benchmarks are irrelevant when they clearly don't reflect what I'm going through. I'm not even steaming video or using my rdio account. So far I've just been taking photos and using google maps. Maybe there will eventually be some magical update that fixes all. So far its been underperforming to my standards.

Today I had to turn on power saving mode in hopes of stretching the battery life more. By around 3:30pm (starting from around 10am) I was down to 40%. Luckily I've resorted to bringing power banks with me now in order to actually last a day out. The wife doesn't even need one at all with her iPhone 6.

The S6 doesn't have worse battery life than the iPhone 6. It's better. Whether by benchmarks or by anecdotal reviews, it's better. Maybe you have a defective unit or need a factory reset.

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
OP, just try what I suggested, don't listen to people that just say that the battery suck and are expecting the phone to work flawless in that department, but have never posted a single Screenshot of the battery stats so we can see what may be wrong or even tell us what exactly has been done to try to fix it.

People, it's obvious that some of you got phones with some wifi settings related Bugs and others the famous Lollipop Google Play services drain bug, but NOT ALL phone are like that, the ones that are working as expected are giving great battery life between 5-6 SoT, stop just spreading this info as it's a fact that this phone will suck, it's obvious that it's not a Design flaw, if people are getting bad battery life is a Software issue in the majorority of cases with the usual hardware exceptions, for those hardware exceptions, just go to your carrier and ask for a replacement.

Now, everything that is software related can be fixed, either via Software updates or via some tweaks, or both, of course this means you should have patience to work with this. Samsung already updated the Samsung Push app that for some people helped with the issue, Google updated Google Play Services and for a lot of people it has also helped, so there is definitely hope for the ones that are still having issues.

There are already dozens of threads that can help those of you that want to try, if you are not one of those, and you don't want to wait for software update to fix it, then just ask for a replacement if you still want to have it or simply return the phone and ask for a refund or whatever you may claim to your carrier. But don't keep saying battery is bad and do nothing about it, you have 2 options or do something and see if that help you or simply give up and move on. If you want to try something yourself, just follow the link I told you in the OP and follow those suggestions or at least the ones you like, and go from there.

OP no, this phone's battery life doesn't suck when the phone is working as expected, why it isn't? then there are different factors affecting it, first, Google 's Lollipop has been plagued ALL devices with mostly the same drain issues, all brands and models are showing the same, not all phones but in some of them, sounds familiar? Then you have the different Carriers software and features, Like T-Mobile's Wifi calling and VoLTE that seems to be causing the majority of the cell Standby issues, Not all of them, but a lot, so again, once the carriers, Google and even Samsung do their part with the bugs that they are obviously receiving at this moment, things can change with just 1 update, then ALL devices should be performing as more than half of the users here and I'm assuming everywhere, giving normal users between 5-6 SoT and Power users between 3.5-4.5 SoT hours.

Ok I will try the reset and the steps that you provided in the link. And tomorrow I will install the GSam battery monitor to see if it shows anything different.

By the way, if i add the percentages of battery use used by the apps in my screenshot, it never adds up to the total % of battery used. How come? Does the batter y usage screen just not show apps that have used battery below a certain threshold (such as below 4%)?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Why aren't the mods closing all the repetitive battery topics?? I mean the topic title itself speaks volumes...why couldn't this be in one of the other dozen threads??

Posted via S6

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok I will try the reset and the steps that you provided in the link. And tomorrow I will install the GSam battery monitor to see if it shows anything different.

By the way, if i add the percentages of battery use used by the apps in my screenshot, it never adds up to the total % of battery used. How come? Does the batter y usage screen just not show apps that have used battery below a certain threshold (such as below 4%)?

I've been wondering the same. My numbers don't add up either. I installed GSam battery monitor earlier today and find it paints a better picture of what's being used overall, although it somewhat varies from what the built in battery section shows.

Fairly normal use today; texting, taking some photos, listening to a podcast. Got down to 6% about a half hour ago before I finally stuck it on the charger. Battery life right now is definitely worse than my previous phone (iphone 5s). But I'm expecting updates will come along to help fix a lot of the issues. Do try what they're suggesting, it definitely helped my performance from what I was getting on day 1.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I've been wondering the same. My numbers don't add up either. I installed GSam battery monitor earlier today and find it paints a better picture of what's being used overall, although it somewhat varies from what the built in battery section shows.

Fairly normal use today; texting, taking some photos, listening to a podcast. Got down to 6% about a half hour ago before I finally stuck it on the charger. Battery life right now is definitely worse than my previous phone (iphone 5s). But I'm expecting updates will come along to help fix a lot of the issues. Do try what they're suggesting, it definitely helped my performance from what I was getting on day 1.
"That isn't even possible. You must be lying. Benchmarks prove the s6 outlasts the iPhone 5s easily." - expect this as an incoming comment.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Taking denial to a whole level. This the second thread that you are spreading your disingenuous comments. Facts are only inconvenient to those in denial after being persuaded by clever advertising.

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
You're both right in your own ways. I personally have no doubt the s6 is a superior device overall. That's why I've switched to it after almost ten years straight of iphones and am loving most of what I'm experiencing far better than my previous iphone. And one of the major selling points for me was to get much better battery life as I read a lot of reports about how the battery under stress tests did better.

Unfortunately in my real life usage so far, regardless of benchmarks or anyone else's personal experience, I am having way worse battery life on the s6 than my 5s, which is supposed to be worse than the 6. That's even after factory reset and trying to optimize various settings. I'm hopeful that some more charge cycles and app/os updates will fix the issue for me though, that and my wireless charger which is arriving tomorrow which I'll be able to plop the phone down on whenever I'm not using it at my desk. In the meantime, I get why people are peeved, especially when many of us know we should be getting better based on those reports.

Owen Kim

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar drain rate and now mine seems to have improved by changing location settings to WiFi and mobile, not GPS. If u haven't done this, try it and see what happens

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech