Another battery thread

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You're both right in your own ways. I personally have no doubt the s6 is a superior device overall. That's why I've switched to it after almost ten years straight of iphones and am loving most of what I'm experiencing far better than my previous iphone. And one of the major selling points for me was to get much better battery life as I read a lot of reports about how the battery under stress tests did better.

Unfortunately in my real life usage so far, regardless of benchmarks or anyone else's personal experience, I am having way worse battery life on the s6 than my 5s, which is supposed to be worse than the 6. That's even after factory reset and trying to optimize various settings. I'm hopeful that some more charge cycles and app/os updates will fix the issue for me though, that and my wireless charger which is arriving tomorrow which I'll be able to plop the phone down on whenever I'm not using it at my desk. In the meantime, I get why people are peeved, especially when many of us know we should be getting better based on those reports.

If you have done the factory reset and did the tweaks and still don't have the expected results, look for the battery stats post them here including screenshot of the screen and whatever app or service that is showing high usage, also if you want more details install GSAM Battery Monitor as it will provide more details about it.

If everything else seem to be normal then I'd advice you to get a replacement, you may have a defective phone.

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
For heaven's sake, i don't want this to turn into a 'you're a troll,' 'no, you're a troll' galaxy vs. iphone debate. I'm just worried about my own phone--that perhaps there's something wrong with my battery hardware and reseting/optimizing my phone will just mask the fact that my battery's not ideal.

Anyways, I'm going to follow the suggestions tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you have done the factory reset and did the tweaks and still don't have the expected results, look for the battery stats post them here including screenshot of the screen and whatever app or service that is showing high usage, also if you want more details install GSAM Battery Monitor as it will provide more details about it.

If everything else seem to be normal then I'd advice you to get a replacement, you may have a defective phone.

Here's what it shows right now from today...

Screenshot_2015-04-22-21-29-33.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-22-21-46-38.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-22-21-46-48.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-22-21-46-57.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-22-21-28-54.jpg

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Here's what it shows right now from today...

View attachment 173187
View attachment 173188

They don't look add bad as others but definitely Android System is the biggest offender then the infamous cell standby, for the Android system that one is very complicated as it involves A LOT of apps and services from Google and Samsung, is suggest to look for any Account that may be stuck syncing or maybe some Samsung backup or account sync, in my case I have all Samsung Account services not syncing, don't need any of them, I don't use any of their services, see if you have something like that and turn it off and see if it gets better.

For the cell standby there are dozens of threads already covering that so I won't add anything more for the moment.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
They don't look add bad as others but definitely Android System is the biggest offender then the infamous cell standby, for the Android system that one is very complicated add it involves A LOT of apps and services from Google and Samsung, is suggest to look for any Account that may be stuck syncing or maybe some Samsung backup or account sync, in my case I have all Samsung Account services not syncing, don't need any of them, I don't use any of their services, see if you have something like that and turn it off and see if it gets better.

For the cell standby there are dozens of threads already covering that so I won't add anything more for the moment.

Like I said, the factory reset definitely did a lot to help and got me to where I'm at. Previously it was dropping 1% every minute or so when the screen was on and doing something. I'll try to take a look, but I do have Samsung sync totally turned off as well as half the google related ones. Thanks for your help.

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Like you said it yourself, another battery thread and another response of please, go to this thread and do a full backup with Samsung's Smarty Switch and try the Wipe Cache Partition and or Wipe data/factory Reset and of course then when you set it up again remove all Bloatware, and turn off Google services you won't use, do the tweaks suggested there and see what happens. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html

OK so I started following the instructions and I realized half-way through that it almost changes nothing compared to before. I went to recovery mode, cleared the data nad reset the device, restarted, followed the initial setup. And that's when I realized that with your instructions, not much changes from before. Before the reset, I already had all the bloatware disabled, my screen brightness was always on low, location was usually off, and smart network and scanning always available were also off. I have no idea what VoLTE and Wifi calling are, nor could i find the option to disable them on my phone. Bluetooth was always off as well. The only change this time is that some of the sync options for my google stuff are off (newstand, etc.). I could not find a Samsung accounts or how to turn off samsung syncs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
OK so I started following the instructions and I realized half-way through that it almost changes nothing compared to before. I went to recovery mode, cleared the data nad reset the device, restarted, followed the initial setup. And that's when I realized that with your instructions, not much changes from before. Before the reset, I already had all the bloatware disabled, my screen brightness was always on low, location was usually off, and smart network and scanning always available were also off. I have no idea what VoLTE and Wifi calling are, nor could i find the option to disable them on my phone. Bluetooth was always off as well. The only change this time is that some of the sync options for my google stuff are off (newstand, etc.). I could not find a Samsung accounts or how to turn off samsung syncs.

Anyways, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

The reset is more than just begin again, is to get rid of all cache and Data files so it can begin from scratch with new system files, a lot of issues on these phones are solved by Wiping Cache and/or data.

When you set the phone the first time it asks you to Create a Samsung Account or to Sign in to an existing one, if you did this you should have a Samsung Account under Settings-Accounts.

Wifi calling and VoLTE are both part of T-mobile features, each carrier has different ones, Sprint has Wifi Calling also, and I think AT&T also has VoLTE but the rest of options and combinations varies between carriers, I'd suggest you look in the actual threads the ones that are more related to your specific carrier, it will provide a better understanding of what the other users of that carrier are doing.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
In almost every one of these threads i see Erasat being downright hostile towards people's FACTUAL posts about battery life issues.

We get it Erasat you love the product It doesn't take away the glaring OUT OF BOX problems it has.

If this was an iPhone problem/Launch it would be #BatteryGate all over the nightline news. Believe it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The reset is more than just begin again, is to get rid of all cache and Data files so it can begin from scratch with new system files, a lot of issues on these phones are solved by Wiping Cache and/or data.

When you set the phone the first time it asks you to Create a Samsung Account or to Sign in to an existing one, if you did this you should have a Samsung Account under Settings-Accounts.

Wifi calling and VoLTE are both part of T-mobile features, each carrier has different ones, Sprint has Wifi Calling also, and I think AT&T also has VoLTE but the rest of options and combinations varies between carriers, I'd suggest you look in the actual threads the ones that are more related to your specific carrier, it will provide a better understanding of what the other users of that carrier are doing.

There's got to be a better way to clear the cached files than a device reset.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
In almost every one of these threads i see Erasat being downright hostile towards people's FACTUAL posts about battery life issues.

We get it Erasat you love the product It doesn't take away the glaring OUT OF BOX problems it has.

If this was an iPhone problem/Launch it would be #BatteryGate all over the nightline news. Believe it.

Ehh excuse me, are you seriously talking about me? Hey man, I don't really know what may be your issue with me but tell me where I was hostile here or any other thread, the only thing I do is to come here to help others that need help with my experiences and knowledge, and I clearly remember trying helping you with your issues, sorry if it didn't work for you.

Only 2 posts I have changed the tone was one a couple of weeks ago with techno-guy and I clearly explained to him why, so far, we have kept trying to help each other like adults, and yesterday with stevelan, because this is a guy that have been talking negative about the S6 even before it was released, then he said that got one and just keep doing the same and always comparing it with the iphone, don't keep coming to a S6 forum to try to trash talk it, that's plain simple trolling, provoking and inciting heated discussion. If you don't like the phone don't come here to interrupt what a lot of us are trying to do, to help people with issues.

Now as a side note, I'm not a Native English Speaker, so what you may perceive as a different tone it may easily be what we called "Lost In translation", but, I'm very sure that the only 2 times I indeed changed the tone and directly expressed myself was in the 2 occasions I described above. BUT, if what you are referring to is because of me saying that there are already dozens of threads that can help, is because they are indeed dozens of threads about the same, why create another one to ask the same that has already been asked and already been replied to?

And to end this, and if you haven't read it before, I'm not a Samsung fanboy, In the past year alone I've had Sony, LG, OnePlus, Motorola and Samsung phones, I'm a fan of technology and the phone that satisfy my needs at the moment. If you see me in every thread is because I've been trying to help in every thread, I don't even know where does this comment of yours come from, Show me exactly where I did what you are saying I'm doing, otherwise, don't come here saying such things. Plus, I'd suggest you also to put me in your Ignore list, that way you don't need to see my posts, it works great.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There's got to be a better way to clear the cached files than a device reset.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

When you go to Recovery Menu you see Wipe cache Partition and separate, Wipe data/Factory reset, so you don't need to do a factory reset to wipe your cache.

mferrinda

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your tips on this and previous threads. I've been testing and tweaking things to get the 4-5.5 SoT that most are seeing, so far I was getting 3.25 at best. I've just done a factory reset and wipe partition and going through and do some tweaking of features I won't use. I'll see how the next few days god and charge cycles.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think >4 hours SOT is pretty ambitious with a 2550 mAh battery. As I'd mentioned in another thread, it just might not be doable based on your usage and how strong your cellular/data signal is where you are. Then you have to decide if you want to change your usage (i.e. turn off more things, turn brightness down even further), top off more frequently, or switch to a different device.

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Think you might have the wrong guy, erasat has been super helpful in this and a lot of other posts.

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
So it's a bit early, but today I've tried turning wi-fi off entirely and so far it seems to be draining less quickly and cell standby is only 1%. I'll post an update later.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Think you might have the wrong guy, erasat has been super helpful in this and a lot of other posts.

Thanks man, I really don't understand this guy, I've been more than respectful with everybody even when I don't agree with all of the posts, obviously, but even when I disagree I always try to do it with respect, like I said before, the only 2 times (I know because I did it on purpose) that I changed the tone and directly called out the other guy, were the ones I mentioned above.

But like I mentioned before, you can't please everybody, and that's why sometimes people just stop coming to this forums, it makes you wonder if it really worth it, but then you take a look at the top right corner of any of this forums, where it says MEMBER SHOUTOUTS and under TOP THANKED you see your username there, and then you think that it indeed worth it, and that there are still people that appreciate that you take your free time to try to help others.

Last edited:

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I've been on the S6 forum ever since it was a 'rumored' phone. Been watching and reading the posts about a lot of the aspects of the S6 as I will be needing to update my phone in the near term.

I'm a business power user and really need a strong battery or one that can be replaced as I'm in rural areas a lot and generally pop in another spare battery, reboot and under way in less than forty five seconds.

If the 'kinks' get worked out, and I truly hope they do, the S6 is a phone that I could see myself buying. I've got UDP and will be paying full boat for the phone out of pocket.

There's another poster on the forum that must have at least 2500 or more posts on the S6! It's getting to the point where what he says, I cannot read anymore.

Erasat's posts appear to be right on and his commentary is a positive!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I think you're thinking of me, not Erasat. My patience with some of you has gone out the window so I'm not nearly as nice as Erasat is. That said, he's been providing tips and options from day one and it's a shame that some people aren't using them.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the S6 forum ever since it was a 'rumored' phone. Been watching and reading the posts about a lot of the aspects of the S6 as I will be needing to update my phone in the near term.

I'm a business power user and really need a strong battery or one that can be replaced as I'm in rural areas a lot and generally pop in another spare battery, reboot and under way in less than forty five seconds.

If the 'kinks' get worked out, and I truly hope they do, the S6 is a phone that I could see myself buying. I've got UDP and will be paying full boat for the phone out of pocket.

There's another poster on the forum that must have at least 2500 or more posts on the S6! It's getting to the point where what he says, I cannot read anymore.

Erasat's posts appear to be right on and his commentary is a positive!

By how you say you use and what you need for your phone the S6 will never be the one for your kind of use. Software tweaks and updates can never defeat the physical limitations of the battery size itself. A small battery is just that, small. I suggest you look at something else or wait to see what comes down the pipe that might be better.

I live in a rural area and I had to take the S6 back as the battery just can't make it and I can't be tethered to a charger all the time. But that's just my opinion.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
By how you say you use and what you need for your phone the S6 will never be the one for your kind of use. Software tweaks and updates can never defeat the physical limitations of the battery size itself. A small battery is just that, small. I suggest you look at something else or wait to see what comes down the pipe that might be better.

I live in a rural area and I had to take the S6 back as the battery just can't make it and I can't be tethered to a charger all the time. But that's just my opinion.

I agree! I'm giving the S6 all the time in the world to see if it will work for me given its constraints. I like Samsung's quality and find their screens, voice quality and overall ease of use... all positives.

I would have jumped on the Note 4... but it's really large... and my hands can handle it... but on a belt holster, it's a chunk of high tech.

Currently running an S4, up to date, still runs fine, four spare batteries, car charger..

The ONLY negative to the S6 that I can see is my hesitancy to commit to a non removable battery! And I wonder if this is the direction of all future smartphones.