S6 in reality - How is it in day to day life?

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 in reality

Camera is great. But overall app quality is very subpar compared to iOS which is what I'm used to. Battery life has been extremely disappointing. This is after turning off smart network, WiFi scanning and disabling some apps.

One gripe about the camera though is its low light performance in auto mode is absolutely awful. Expect to use pro mode at all times at night unless you want terribly noisy low light shots. Samsung for whatever reason made its auto low light performance to be insanely aggressive which makes photos unusable.

Also disappointed in chrome browser performance. The stock browser is definitely quicker but I prefer chrome. Found this kind of odd as I would have assumed chrome would be optimized for android more than it is for iOS. Also not sure why this phone has 3 GB of ram yet chrome still needs to refresh tabs when jumping back into the browser?!?

Screen is great. I came from an iPhone 5 and the bigger size is also wonderful.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I love the phone it's very quick, its battery life is average at best but very workable if you take advantage of quick charge and have a few Wireless chargers. I top mine off all day at work off and on with wireless and then run the battery in the evening through the night and then in the mornings I do a quick charge so I can start off the day at a hundred percent. The camera is great ama the phone looks great, I have the s6 edge and I can now say I'm used to the edge now and when I hold another phone it feels odd and bulky lol.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

It's the best smartphone that I have ever owned so fast and smooth, no lag.

Seriously? For some reason I sense a hint of sarcasm. I have heard that a lot of people have been experiencing different con's to the handset. Waiting for mine, just curious to how it actually holds up in a real day to day environment.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Seriously? For some reason I sense a hint of sarcasm. I have heard that a lot of people have been experiencing different con's to the handset. Waiting for mine, just curious to how it actually holds up in a real day to day environment.

It's the best device I've ever owned or used, no major complaints from my end. But then again I don't get the latest device every year, so for those who buy practically every single big release their opinion may differ from mine. Take that for what it is.

Posted via S6

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Its a really good phone. May be the best android that I have ever had but I won't know that for awhile. Great camera, I use it a lot. Build on par with my iPhone 6. I think when people say it's the best ever they are still not over the newness. Tw is actually not bad but it's still tw. A lot of the same old Samsung crap is still buried in the s6 but it is a very nice phone. I don't know but for now it's my daily driver.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am serious. On preorder day at Best Buy, I had a chance to personally test the GS6 and the Edge. No matter how hard I tried I could not duplicate,the lag that everyone complained about with TouchWiz. The demo devices were fast and smooth with no noticeable lag. The experience only got better the day that I picked up my GS6 on April 10th. Is it perfect? No. I was fortunate enough to get a device on AT&T with no issues not even hardware or workmanship related. It's all a matter of personal preference. Everyone has different experiences and useable habits. Give it a try. You won't regret it. If you do, you can always return it.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Once you set it up right like launcher, theme, gestures, keyboard and apps it's unbelievable, the only real con is the battery - it's crap , but at least it charges really super fast.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If storage is an issue, the 64GB model should be more than enough. I have more than 50GB free. The battery life has fine for me so much so I have put off any thoughts of a power bank. Rapid charging and wireless charging are wicked fast. If you're planning to get a case, even though there are a ton to choose from, I can personally recommend the Defender.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone!

How's the S6 now that everyone has had awhile to use the device in the real day to day life?
Have you not been reading the plethora of bug/problem threads that are dominating this forum from those who have been using the device for awhile? Therein lies your answer. Poor battery life, high cell stand by time, screen rotation and finger print scanner issues, to name a few.
Samsung sold its soul and deleted all the things that differentiated it from iphone and made it stand out. Now the Galaxy is just a neutered, soulless pretty metal brick.
Just like an iPhone.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a specific concern? I am experiencing none of the cons that some people in these forums are describing. (This handset is selling at record numbers so of course you are going to have some people with a variety of issues, whether hardware QC, software bugs, or user error.)

The big advantages for me for day-to-day life are that the outstanding fingerprint scanner and the slightly narrower profile than my previous device makes it much easier to open and handle. LOVE the double tap to open camera. Got quick chargers for my car and my wife's car, which is a huge plus since otherwise car charging is incredibly slow. No complaints about performance. Battery is fine for my usage and expectations.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a specific concern? I am experiencing none of the cons that some people in these forums are describing. (This handset is selling at record numbers so of course you are going to have some people with a variety of issues, whether hardware QC, software bugs, or user error.)

The big advantages for me for day-to-day life are that the outstanding fingerprint scanner and the slightly narrower profile than my previous device makes it much easier to open and handle. LOVE the double tap to open camera. Got quick chargers for my car and my wife's car, which is a huge plus since otherwise car charging is incredibly slow. No complaints about performance. Battery is fine for my usage and expectations.

Not sure what is meant by deleting all differentiating features.

QHD display vs HD
Exynos chipset vs Snapdragon
Both more energy efficient.
UFS 2.0
Glass and aluminum vs plastic.
Improved fingerprint scanner.
More base storage options.
More RAM, DDR4 vs DDR3 and less RAM
Better camera in low light and auto HDR and OIS.

Rapid charging and dual wireless charging standards built in.
Dual mobile payment formats

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Asking for people to share their experiences isn't the same thing as asking to be trolled. Can we give it a rest for awhile?

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Liking mine alot so far after 3 weeks of use. I think I've used almost every major feature at least once. Fortunately I haven't had the battery issues many people here have had. Im getting 14-15 hours with moderate use and if I use power saving mode and turn off sync I can get 20 hours. Camera is amazing and fast. Very minimal lag, and i mean rarely. and if it does its just for a second or 2. My only complaint has to do with Android OS and not the phone itself. Like someone else said coming from iOS you really realize how subpar some of android apps are in quality. iOS apps seem to be alot more polished and have more functionality than their android counterparts. For example i wanted to upload a 10 sec video to twitter from my S6 but the android twitter app doesnt have that feature. I had to do it from my iPhone. But thats just nitpicking I guess. Overall im happy with the day to day performance.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I am loving it. Samsung really stole the show. I swore I would never get another Samsung device after HTC stepped their game up when the S4 and S5 were so unimpressive.

The camera is so fast and amazing. I am no expert in photography, but I agree with reviewers when they say it is one of, if not the best.
Wireless charging is cool
Finger print scanner is so convenient and awesome. Definitely need to program is perfectly and it might not be as good as the iphones but it is not far behind.
Screen is the best of the best.

Battery life is bad. Now, I am always hard on phones and have never has great battery life with any device, but I do notice that this is exceptionally bad. Maybe it will get worked out on the software side a bit with Google and Samsung. Maybe not. Maybe the battery is just too dang small. But long ago I have accepted the fact that I need to be tethered to a charger. At least now we have turbo charging features and wireless charging to make it a tad bit less annoying.

But this phone is certainly not perfect, especially out the gate. But I am a chronic upgrader, and all my phones have issues and quirks. Go check out any forums. Moto, M8, M9, Nexus..all have their share of complaints. You also have to acknowledge that we are probably the most critical of users. People that look at these sites and participate in forums tend to be more anal than the average joe. We notice everything. And for companies that make millions of devices in different locations, sometimes sourcing parts from different manufacturers..there is a lot of room for error.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't noticed, a lot of people like the iphone. you are in the minority by not wanting to be neutered.

Samsung sold its soul and deleted all the things that differentiated it from iphone and made it stand out. Now the Galaxy is just a neutered, soulless pretty metal brick.
Just like an iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy