SIM cards

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For the first time in many years, I've bought my phone from AT&T instead of a European dealer. In the past, I've just taken the SIM card out of the old phone and put it into the new one. With this GS 6 Edge, AT&T sent a new SIM card, but with my old phone number on it.

Is there going to be any difference in service or performance between the new and old sim cards? Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Provided that the old one is provisioned properly and working correctly then they should work the same

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually using a nano sim in an adapter for the S4. (I also have an iPhone 5S, which uses a nano card.) It's not hard to cut a micro down to a nano. So I'll experiment. Thanks.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Now I have another question. Since I have 2 sim cards with the same phone number, could I both the S4 and the S6 as
phones? Not sure why I'd want to, but I'm curious.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Now I have another question. Since I have 2 sim cards with the same phone number, could I both the S4 and the S6 as
phones? Not sure why I'd want to, but I'm curious.

Isn't a SIM associated with one IMEI number?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't a SIM associated with one IMEI number?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Yes. A sim card has a number that is associated & unique to that sim card. You can either put your existing sim card into your new phone, or insert the new sim card & contact AT&T to activate the sim card. When you contact AT&T they will ask for the phone's IMEI & the new sim card's number.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You have one SIM card currently associated with that number and one SIM card that's no longer associated with that number. Only the currently activated one will work.

The only thing to check for is that the European phone covers Band 17, which is what AT&T is using for 4G almost everywhere. If it doesn't, you'll be on 3G (assuming it covers the band AT&T uses for 3G).

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You're right about the imei. Activated the new SIM yesterday in the new phone. Thanks for all the info, guys. I learned a lot from this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox