06-25-2015 10:14 PM
93 1234
tools
    Woa, I didn't know that. Uninstalling Shazam now. Thx!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yup!
    Check your Application Manager in Settings and go to "Running" and you will see the apps that are still running in the background

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    04-24-2015 12:25 PM
    I downloaded the Shut App about an hour or 2 ago, I also deleted Amazon Photo storage, and between the two, I already notice a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-24-2015 12:28 PM
    What I have noticed though is that there are background apps that are draining my battery (for example, my radio apps).
    There's a difference between an app still being in RAM (there should be as many apps as possible in RAM) and an app actually running and using battery. App killer apps are written by people who think that Android runs like Windows when, actually, it's about the opposite of Windows. As naviman said, removing apps from RAM kills the battery, it doesn't save it.

Read what someone who actually wrote Android code says: Multitasking the Android Way As a systems developer, I know better than to argue how the code works with the person who wrote it.

What you're seeing is confirmation bias. With no apps running in post 7, killing the apps that aren't running is like the reason there are no elephants stampeding in downtown Honolulu - I know someone who's using his psychic powers to keep it from happening. (At least he thinks it because he's using his psychic powers.) The app is killing apps that aren't there to kill, but it's using battery itself - but since you've convinced yourself that it saves battery, you'll stay convinced. (BTW, Greenify is trivial to use - just don't Greenify apps you want running, like Phone, email and text. That really saves power, because the Greenified apps can't run on their own - something has to run them, like you tapping an icon.)
    deeb215, DLK1, sparker04 and 1 others like this.
    04-24-2015 12:38 PM
    There's a difference between an app still being in RAM (there should be as many apps as possible in RAM) and an app actually running and using battery. App killer apps are written by people who think that Android runs like Windows when, actually, it's about the opposite of Windows. As naviman said, removing apps from RAM kills the battery, it doesn't save it.

Read what someone who actually wrote Android code says: Multitasking the Android Way As a systems developer, I know better than to argue how the code works with the person who wrote it.

What you're seeing is confirmation bias. With no apps running in post 7, killing the apps that aren't running is like the reason there are no elephants stampeding in downtown Honolulu - I know someone who's using his psychic powers to keep it from happening. (At least he thinks it because he's using his psychic powers.) The app is killing apps that aren't there to kill, but it's using battery itself - but since you've convinced yourself that it saves battery, you'll stay convinced. (BTW, Greenify is trivial to use - just don't Greenify apps you want running, like Phone, email and text. That really saves power, because the Greenified apps can't run on their own - something has to run them, like you tapping an icon.)
    Well this app must be doing something right, because my battery was horrible before it...this phone now lasts longer than my Z3!

How I see it, is that I know this app uses energy to kill, but it's not timed like those other app killers... This one u gotta do it manually, and it shows u the apps it will kill. Also I'd rather have one app use a little energy to kill apps than have those apps continue to run in my background draining my battery, apps that I don't even use on a daily basis, why should they be running?

I think those who have app killers running every 30 minutes will see a worst difference, but this app is manual and from my results... Seems to make all the difference in the world

04-24-2015 12:44 PM
    How long were you using the phone before installing the battery? Most have reported increased battery time after a number of charge-cycle times. It's possible that you would have increased battery life even without having installed the app.

The only way to know for certain is if you had 2 phones treated identically, one with and one without the app.

I suppose you could try to uninstall the app and see if your increased battery life persists.
    04-24-2015 01:04 PM
    How long were you using the phone before installing the battery? Most have reported increased battery time after a number of charge-cycle times. It's possible that you would have increased battery life even without having installed the app.

The only way to know for certain is if you had 2 phones treated identically, one with and one without the app.

I suppose you could try to uninstall the app and see if your increased battery life persists.
    My battery life has increased since first purchasing.

Also Shazam doesn't run in the background for me at all. Disable all the other stuff like notifications and location in the app settings
    04-24-2015 01:19 PM

I got the phone on release day and my battery was never as good as this before the app... Even after doing all the recommended tweaks... This app must be doing something right

04-24-2015 01:27 PM
    Yup!
    Check your Application Manager in Settings and go to "Running" and you will see the apps that are still running in the background

Thanks smooth, checking now.

04-24-2015 01:31 PM

This is exactly what I do with Greenify, hibernate most of the apps I've installed except those I need notifications from like Textra. I do wish I could hibernate the Google App though not sure why it's been starting in my background the past 2 days. Milk Music and Injustice were big offenders previously.
    04-24-2015 02:20 PM
    Has anyone tried this on LG G3?
    04-24-2015 03:49 PM
    Kindly let me know....
    04-24-2015 03:49 PM
    Has anyone tried this on LG G3?
    Kindly let me know....
    Try asking in our LG G3 forum .. you may get a better response .
    04-24-2015 04:53 PM

So - I think you are agreeing with me?? Hard to tell with all the elephants about

My point was that with greenify you can keep apps from running in the background, not with the intent of clearing memory (unused memory is wasted memory in my mind) but to keep them form being silent vampires of battery blood.
    04-24-2015 05:55 PM
    Trying it out now. Attempted Greenify but it didn't work out.
    04-24-2015 06:41 PM
    Those who have tried the app should post their results
    This app has really saved my battery and I am seeing results from this app

I also keep my phone brightness at 20% at all times if that helps, as it is still visible even in daylight
    04-24-2015 07:02 PM
    Those who have tried the app should post their results
    This app has really saved my battery and I am seeing results from this app

I also keep my phone brightness at 20% at all times if that helps, as it is still visible even in daylight
    What do you use on your phone to get 5 hours of onscreen time yet no usage on other apps (browser, youtube, etc).
    04-24-2015 10:52 PM
    What do you use on your phone to get 5 hours of onscreen time yet no usage on other apps (browser, youtube, etc).
    I use the other apps quite constantly, I didn't scroll down on the screenshot so you dont see the apps
    I mostly text on my phone , stream Spotify, YouTube, Facebook, FB messenger, and browse the internet.
    Id say Im a medium - low heavy user user
    04-24-2015 10:58 PM
    Day 2 with this app, it's really been working for me... I'm satisfied

The app that saved my battery!-uploadfromtaptalk1429936292085.jpgThe app that saved my battery!-uploadfromtaptalk1429936299450.jpg

erasat likes this.
    04-24-2015 11:31 PM
    I'm going to uninstall Greenify and try this Shut Up suggestion to see if there's a difference in battery life today. I'm a little afraid it may effect alerts so I'll whitelist Textra and my Alarmly. All other installed apps are fair game. Nice that it has a little widget also.
    04-25-2015 02:39 AM
    Scary permissions + no ads = very suspicious app.

04-25-2015 05:24 AM
    Ok I installed it. Just a quick question Smooth. Does the app work on its own in the background to clean up unused apps or do you have to open it up and click "Shut" every once and a while throughout the day?
    04-25-2015 05:41 AM
    This was good..and I would like to recommend you some other awesome battery saver app Battery Saver Battery Widget,NQ Easy Battery Saver,Battery Doctor (Battery Saver),GO Battery Saver &Power Widget..do try them
    What's your point? Is there some reason you're being sarcastic that isn't clear?
    04-25-2015 07:27 AM
    I'm not picking a fight or saying anyone is right/wrong... I'm just saying that I moved Shazam to my SD card on my very crowded RazrMaxx and it does not run unless I open it. According to my app manager, it is not on the "running" list. I also have all general settings turned off except vibrate when finished. Just my $0.02
    04-25-2015 09:24 AM
    Thinking about Ambassador A's comment above, wouldn't the alternative to using these apps be more active app management on the user and making more use of the restrict background data feature on the GS6 instead? I may have had bad experiences with these apps in the past which may be why I am hesitant to use them now. In the past, they took up space and had more of a placebo effect.

Battery performance could be improved as a result of "training" your battery through multiple charge cycles? Performance could be affected by carrier conditions where you are or the wireless network you're on. There could be a lot of traffic on both causing the battery to work harder and drain faster? Could the converse of lighter traffic be resulting in better performance? Could you be in a low carrier signal strength area or too far from the network access point making the device work harder? Just something to think about and answers that I would like to hear. Input greatly appreciated.
    04-25-2015 09:25 AM
    Thinking about Ambassador A's comment above, wouldn't the alternative to using these apps be more active app management on the user and making more use of the restrict background data feature on the GS6 instead? I may have had bad experiences with these apps in the past which may be why I am hesitant to use them now. In the past, they took up space and had more of a placebo effect.

Battery performance could be improved as a result of "training" your battery through multiple charge cycles? Performance could be affected by carrier conditions where you are or the wireless network you're on. There could be a lot of traffic on both causing the battery to work harder and drain faster? Could the converse of lighter traffic be resulting in better performance? Could you be in a low carrier signal strength area or too far from the network access point making the device work harder? Just something to think about and answers that I would like to hear. Input greatly appreciated.
    I think you are correct. It's suprising to me that people are still being bamboozled by these apps but hey this is a mainstream Samsung forum so there a lot that have to try fast easy cures first. Live and learn, it's all a process.

04-25-2015 09:46 AM
93 1234