06-25-2015 10:14 PM
93 1234
tools
    Ok I installed it. Just a quick question Smooth. Does the app work on its own in the background to clean up unused apps or do you have to open it up and click "Shut" every once and a while throughout the day?
    No its not automatic...to u gotta click shut every once in a while

They have a feature though where it will automatically clean when u put the phone in your pocket, but it's only a 3 day trial then u probably gotta pay... Manual is not bad though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    04-25-2015 09:53 AM
    Thinking about Ambassador A's comment above, wouldn't the alternative to using these apps be more active app management on the user and making more use of the restrict background data feature on the GS6 instead? I may have had bad experiences with these apps in the past which may be why I am hesitant to use them now. In the past, they took up space and had more of a placebo effect.

Battery performance could be improved as a result of "training" your battery through multiple charge cycles? Performance could be affected by carrier conditions where you are or the wireless network you're on. There could be a lot of traffic on both causing the battery to work harder and drain faster? Could the converse of lighter traffic be resulting in better performance? Could you be in a low carrier signal strength area or too far from the network access point making the device work harder? Just something to think about and answers that I would like to hear. Input greatly appreciated.
    I was told the "training" hour battery is a false theory

As for my results... I have shown proof this works for me... Before this app, I have done all the tweaks with still bad results...i never would have gotten battery like this before trust me I tried

I have had previous phones and the battery was not as bad and I'm in the same area... This shows its something going on in the phone and not my location, and tbh, I don't want to restrict 85% of my phone for battery... I'm getting these results with Bluetooth and location always on... Most people have to turn these off

It is also clear that background running apps will kill battery. The only apps that should be in the "running" section of application manager are system apps and apps you actually want running... Not other apps you don't use

I'll wait a while and take a screenshot of my running apps and show you some apps that run but I haven't opened

04-25-2015 10:01 AM
    I was told the "training" hour battery is a false theory

As for my results... I have shown proof this works for me... Before this app, I have done all the tweaks with still bad results...i never would have gotten battery like this before trust me I tried

I have had previous phones and the battery was not as bad and I'm in the same area... This shows its something going on in the phone and not my location, and tbh, I don't want to restrict 85% of my phone for battery... I'm getting these results with Bluetooth and location always on... Most people have to turn these off

It is also clear that background running apps will kill battery. The only apps that should be in the "running" section of application manager are system apps and apps you actually want running... Not other apps you don't use

I'll wait a while and take a screenshot of my running apps and show you some apps that run but I haven't opened

What about just enabling Restrict Background Data?
    04-25-2015 10:27 AM
    What about just enabling Restrict Background Data?

I have tried disabling background data and it messes up my group messaging because group messaging uses MMS. I get messages late, and all other phones won't get some messages
    I'm also assuming I also wont get my email updates or use the internet if I did that unless I'm on wifi, and I prefer not to have that option especially if Im out and about
    04-25-2015 10:34 AM
    I'm not seeing any significant increase from this app. Next charge I'll post without this app or Greenify installed.
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1429977048880.jpg   The app that saved my battery!-1429977059329.jpg  
    04-25-2015 10:54 AM
    This is what I mean about apps automatically running on their own
    I never even opened Zenwatch Manager and it just popped up... Tempted to uninstalling it
    The app that saved my battery!-uploadfromtaptalk1429977585521.jpg

04-25-2015 11:00 AM
    I'm not seeing any significant increase from this app. Next charge I'll post without this app or Greenify installed.
    If you were getting those results without the app, your battery is already good
    I couldnt even get to 3:30 without my phone being at around 15% of battery
    04-25-2015 11:03 AM
    I have tried disabling background data and it messes up my group messaging because group messaging uses MMS. I get messages late, and all other phones won't get some messages
    I'm also assuming I also wont get my email updates or use the internet if I did that unless I'm on wifi, and I prefer not to have that option especially if Im out and about
    This feature can be enabled on an app specific basis? If so, don't enable on Messaging.
    04-25-2015 11:06 AM
    This feature can be enabled on an app specific basis? If so, don't enable on Messaging.
    I don't think that feature can be done on an app specific basis
    Ehh, I honestly don't want to restrict any background data
    I did that on my Z3, and was messing with my group messaging...my group message members were complaining lol
    04-25-2015 11:10 AM
    I did that on my Z3, and was messing with my group messaging...my group message members were complaining lol
    Did you look in Application Manager?
    04-25-2015 11:14 AM
    Did you look in Application Manager?
    Wait what exactly are you having me look for?
    Restrict Data is in : Settings -> Connections -> Data Usage -> More
    04-25-2015 11:24 AM
    Settings/Device/applications I thought. I will take a look later. Saw it somewhere.
    04-25-2015 11:35 AM
    In data usage, under by application. Select the app and there is a toggle for Restrict Background Data.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-25-2015 11:37 AM
    If you were getting those results without the app, your battery is already good
    I couldnt even get to 3:30 without my phone being at around 15% of battery
    You probably have the FaceBook app enabled? Only social media app I have that syncs is Google+ and I turned off sync for that. Also, I had Location off going to turn that on with the Wifi/Mobile setting selected because you can't use Device Locator without it.
    04-25-2015 11:41 AM
    In data usage, under by application. Select the app and there is a toggle for Restrict Background Data.
    Ah ok I see what your saying now, didn't even know you can do that thanks
    But I'd rather not want to restrict any background data tbh, I want everything free flowing
    That would also probably mean I would have to restrict every app that I install using that method
    04-25-2015 11:42 AM
    You probably have the FaceBook app enabled? Only social media app I have that syncs is Google+ and I turned off sync for that. Also, I had Location off going to turn that on with the Wifi/Mobile setting selected because you can't use Device Locator without it.
    The only thing I had syncing was my emails. I have FB but I turn sync off for that
    I also have Location on but its on the Wifi/Mobil setting too

I had all this before the app and still couldnt get good battery, so I can only assume something was running in the background that was killing my apps. I also have a smartwatch and leave bluetooth on so that could be a cause as well

With this app, I can leave all this on and still get 5 hrs SOT. This is what I wanted from the phone to begin with
    04-25-2015 11:45 AM
    It can. Go to settings, data usage, and you can select apps in there to restrict background usage. As you can see below I could restrict just twitch.tv from background data.

But... I don't like doing that. Even if I had a limited data plan restricting background data on my apps kills a smartphone for me. I want notifications and all that to work...but that's just me. I know some don't care .
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1429980907534.jpg  
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-25-2015 11:56 AM
    It can. Go to settings, data usage, and you can select apps in there to restrict background usage. As you can see below I could restrict just twitch.tv from background data.

But... I don't like doing that. Even if I had a limited data plan restricting background data on my apps kills a smartphone for me. I want notifications and all that to work...but that's just me. I know some don't care .
    Yup I just saw it too...didn't know you could do that
    But I don't want to for the exact same reason as you. I want all my notifications coming through. I also had a not too good experience with restricting background on my Z3. Wasn't getting emails and messages on time. I don't want to have to manually manage all my apps for that
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-25-2015 12:01 PM
    The only thing I had syncing was my emails. I have FB but I turn sync off for that
    I also have Location on but its on the Wifi/Mobil setting too

I had all this before the app and still couldnt get good battery, so I can only assume something was running in the background that was killing my apps. I also have a smartwatch and leave bluetooth on so that could be a cause as well

With this app, I can leave all this on and still get 5 hrs SOT. This is what I wanted from the phone to begin with
    Sounds like maybe there's a bug with the watch talking to apps which this app possibly alleviates? However, I'll know for sure if ShutUp/Greenify work for me after this next battery life run.
    04-25-2015 12:03 PM
    Sounds like maybe there's a bug with the watch talking to apps which this app possibly alleviates? However, I'll know for sure if ShutUp/Greenify work for me after this next battery life run.
    Definitely let me know
    I knos some users are getting good battery life with Greenify on XDA...I'm sure ShutApp does a similar thing in managing background apps
    04-25-2015 12:07 PM
    Ima go grab a S6. Iphone 6 has inadequate battery life.
    Note 3/4 had perfect battery life but right now I am not into it.
    04-25-2015 01:21 PM
    Ima go grab a S6. Iphone 6 has inadequate battery life.
    Note 3/4 had perfect battery life but right now I am not into it.
    Let's see how this goes compared to the iPhone 6.
    Attachment 173687
    04-25-2015 04:34 PM
    was around 3:30 SOC on my S4. installed Shut App Friday.
    per GSam my SOC is 4:04 since last charge ...

Android System: 11.8%
    Clash of Clans: 8.7%
    Android OS 5.4%
    Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

BTW I have Battery Dr. and clear my cache every 4-5 days. Also have CM Security which I use to clear my browsing history usually once a week. Is it necessary to do all these things, and if not, which is redundant? can't complain getting over 4 hours on my S4. It's a top priority on the wish list, so this allows me to be patient as I wait for the other 2015 flagships to drop before selecting 2 of them (need to replace my Nexus 4 also).
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-26-2015 05:19 PM

Android OS 5.4%
    Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

BTW I have Battery Dr. and clear my cache every 4-5 days. Also have CM Security which I use to clear my browsing history usually once a week. Is it necessary to do all these things, and if not, which is redundant? can't complain getting over 4 hours on my S4. It's a top priority on the wish list, so this allows me to be patient as I wait for the other 2015 flagships to drop before selecting 2 of them (need to replace my Nexus 4 also).
    Glad its working for you!

I only use ShutApp,
    I dont think the clear cache is necessary as you can do that from the phone itself in settings -> storage -> cache -> clear all
    04-26-2015 06:35 PM

Android OS 5.4%
    Google Keyboard 4.3%

thx for the tip Smooth!!

No need for most apps as you can do such things on your phone already.

Clear cache like Smooth4lyfe said. I'd do it no more than once a month unless you have a major issue.

No need for CM just clear browser history in the settings of your browser. Once a month sounds more than reasonable if needed.

This app on the other hand seems to work as I'm no longer seeing apps that I don't use often show up running and draining my battery. I'm getting an extra hour of SoT on top of my already great numbers. I use it only twice per charge and white listed things that must run in the background. Haven't tried greenify but why would I want another app to run in the background of that is what I originally don't want?

Smooth4lyfe, this app works. Don't listen to the hatters. I was getting 5 hours of SoT with my testing and everything turned on (including wifi always scanning). After a day and a half, I'm getting 6 hours.
    With tweaks I might get 7 hours, and that is with gaming in my testing.

Thx bro, I never recommend such apps to people but this one I'm impressed with.

Posted via the Android Central App
    smooth4lyfe and Gray Area like this.
    04-26-2015 07:12 PM
93 1234