06-25-2015 10:14 PM
93 ... 234
tools
    I'd also like to thank Smooth for this recommendation. I'm on track to get 6 hours of SoT.
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1430094088786.jpg   The app that saved my battery!-1430094102200.jpg  
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-26-2015 07:21 PM
    I think I'm getting a little more usage with Shut up or Greenify installed. I believe they give me an additional 30-60 minute sot. I'll be installing Greenify again because it gives more info than Shut Up and I prefer their widget.
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1430137302574.jpg   The app that saved my battery!-1430137314535.jpg  
    04-27-2015 07:24 AM
    Tried it for a few days. My battery life didn't get any better. In fact...I think it went down a little bit. Was getting about 4 hours SOT. Now about 3.5 hrs. At my current rate I'll be at 3hrs SOT for the day.
    04-27-2015 08:46 AM
    This is with about 1.5 hours of Bluetooth Spotify (downloaded music)
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1430142888790.jpg   The app that saved my battery!-1430142908559.jpg  
    04-27-2015 08:56 AM
    I used greenify on a g3, and a note 4, battery life went down on both. I have no faith in task killers/freezers/etc.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-27-2015 09:51 AM
    I think I'm getting a little more usage with Shut up or Greenify installed. I believe they give me an additional 30-60 minute sot. I'll be installing Greenify again because it gives more info than Shut Up and I prefer their widget.
    I could have gotten better than this. I didn't realize I had Location on high accuracy all day.
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1430182603729.jpg  
    04-27-2015 07:56 PM
    I used greenify on a g3, and a note 4, battery life went down on both. I have no faith in task killers/freezers/etc.

Since most task managers run in the background anyway and take up resources, I agree with you. I also never used greenify.

But if I'm not mistaken, doesn't greenify only run in the background of you are rooted? If so, are you rooted?

I'm just wondering because I never used such apps in the past as I believe they are a waste of time and resources. Or, slow down your phone in order to maybe speed it up a little. Thus giving you no difference in results.

04-27-2015 08:13 PM
    Since most task managers run in the background anyway and take up resources, I agree with you. I also never used greenify.

But if I'm not mistaken, doesn't greenify only run in the background of you are rooted? If so, are you rooted?

I'm just wondering because I never used such apps in the past as I believe they are a waste of time and resources. Or, slow down your phone in order to maybe speed it up a little. Thus giving you no difference in results.

some things, like clearing cache, or history, can be done manually, so they're not needed.

others, such as this one, kills things that run in the background, thus allowing things to run smoother. I tried it out, didn't make a huge difference but added about 30 minutes SOT on average so I'm happy

also, maybe it was just a figure of speech, but when you say "waste of time" are u referring to the 20 seconds it takes to install the app?

I don't root my phones so I'm not sure of the answer, but am curious myself

04-27-2015 08:52 PM
    I was skeptical, but I am surprised that this app has really helped my battery life. I was never a believer in these apps as I have read how Android is supposed to handle all of this by itself. I have also read plenty about how these apps will actually hurt your battery life due to the way Android works. However, I have been running this app for 2 days and my battery life has gotten much better. I've only lost 17% so far today and normally I'd have lost around 40%. I'm using the phone as I normally do so my tasks aren't identical, but there isn't enough variation in my daily activities to account for the 20+% difference.

I have read how Android is supposed to take care of things, but what it is supposed to do and what it really does appears to be getting further and further apart. I'm sure that all users will see different results and some may very well have their battery life hurt, but for the way I use my phone, this app is great.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-28-2015 09:48 AM
    some things, like clearing cache, or history, can be done manually, so they're not needed.

others, such as this one, kills things that run in the background, thus allowing things to run smoother. I tried it out, didn't make a huge difference but added about 30 minutes SOT on average so I'm happy

also, maybe it was just a figure of speech, but when you say "waste of time" are u referring to the 20 seconds it takes to install the app?

I don't root my phones so I'm not sure of the answer, but am curious myself

Sorry that I wasn't clear, but I think that we are in agreement.

Most task managers like Clean Master are totally a waste of time as they take up resources to clear resources and on a phone like the S6 you can do everything manually anyway without them.

I also had a friend who totally was addicted to using CM because it made him paranoid that his phone needed to clear cache all the time or that his phone was hot when all he was doing was reading emails. The poor guy was using it 20 times a day and going crazy because this app told him that he needed to do things that were totally unnecessary.

Also, old school task killers aren't needed because of the way Android works and that some apps like your keyboard needs to run in the background anyway. So while they work, they are not needed and shouldn't increase battery life anyway because in most devices they do shut down apps properly.

Shutapp or greenify on the other hand work on the S6 because the software on the phone is glitched in a way that allows some apps to run rogue or allow the app to re-enable notifications that you may have disabled.
    An example is that on day one I disabled hangouts, but it tried to start and run in the background anyway (I got a pop up saying start up failed). Then on day 4 a game was listed on my battery monitor regardless that i didn't play it in two days and was talking up resources as a result.
    This is when I was convinced that some apps were running when they shouldn't have.

So I tried Shutapp and found on the first try that 16 apps are running in the background. Since then I'm getting about 30 to 60 mins of extra SoT.

Tldr: task managers can make you paranoid and typically task killers are not needed. But on my phone Shutapp works without taking up resources as it's manual and not running in the background and can help if you have apps trying to run or give you notifications that you don't want.

I hope I was much more clear and helpful this time.

04-28-2015 01:15 PM
    Sorry that I wasn't clear, but I think that we are in agreement.

Most task managers like Clean Master are totally a waste of time as they take up resources to clear resources and on a phone like the S6 you can do everything manually anyway without them.

I also had a friend who totally was addicted to using CM because it made him paranoid that his phone needed to clear cache all the time or that his phone was hot when all he was doing was reading emails. The poor guy was using it 20 times a day and going crazy because this app told him that he needed to do things that were totally unnecessary.

Also, old school task killers aren't needed because of the way Android works and that some apps like your keyboard needs to run in the background anyway. So while they work, they are not needed and shouldn't increase battery life anyway because in most devices they do shut down apps properly.

Shutapp or greenify on the other hand work on the S6 because the software on the phone is glitched in a way that allows some apps to run rogue or allow the app to re-enable notifications that you may have disabled.
    An example is that on day one I disabled hangouts, but it tried to start and run in the background anyway (I got a pop up saying start up failed). Then on day 4 a game was listed on my battery monitor regardless that i didn't play it in two days and was talking up resources as a result.
    This is when I was convinced that some apps were running when they shouldn't have.

So I tried Shutapp and found on the first try that 16 apps are running in the background. Since then I'm getting about 30 to 60 mins of extra SoT.

Tldr: task managers can make you paranoid and typically task killers are not needed. But on my phone Shutapp works without taking up resources as it's manual and not running in the background and can help if you have apps trying to run or give you notifications that you don't want.

I hope I was much more clear and helpful this time.

thanks for the clarification ... yeah, def agree 100%
    04-28-2015 06:15 PM
    I refuse to install these task killer apps, I'd rather have the phone run as expected with my own modifications to its settings. With that said I was having the Google Play Services draining my battery excessively. Just did my 3rd and final factory restore from scratch hopefully it helps make the phone the way it was on my first run.

04-28-2015 08:30 PM
    Ok, just reporting back, I'm getting an extra half hour of SOT, so yeh it works. Thanks!

dreaming of electric sheep
    04-28-2015 08:33 PM
    I turned on Greenify, did the settings and voila its off and running, no issues. When my S6 128GB arrives and I send back the Edge 128GB I will give Greenify a closer look to see how it compares on the next phone. So far no major issues.
    04-28-2015 08:40 PM
    When I first opened the app, I had 47 (!) apps running in the background. This includes a bunch of games and books have installed for my kids that have no reason to use any resources in the background. I used to lose several percentage points in standby overnight, and last night it went down just from 100% to 99%. It's annoying that there is no way to modify permissions to prevent apps you use rarely from running in the background. The Groupon app is particularly aggressive - it'll open right back up just a few seconds after ShutApp closes it every time! I don't want to uninstall the app because I use it occasionally, but I am thinking it would be more battery efficient to just add it to my Whitelist, which is stupid and annoying.
    04-29-2015 05:46 AM
    Maybe it's flaw in the design of the Android OS itself . . .

deeb215 likes this.
    06-25-2015 12:32 PM
    This app annoys me how it hides itself on the home screen. When I tried to move it to the middle of the screen so I could see it it just did the exact same thing on the other side of the screen -_-
    Attached Thumbnails The app that saved my battery!-1435288206919.jpg  
    06-25-2015 10:11 PM
    I uninstalled it. I like Greenify much better. Thanks for the suggestion though. Just a heads up this app wasn't accurate. It was telling me apps were running in the background that to my knowledge weren't. It was telling me it was closing facebook but Greenify has facebook hibernated and now that I have uninstalled this app I have gone into application manager and facebook is not listed in the running apps
    06-25-2015 10:14 PM
93 ... 234