Battery 100-90

Brian Delaney

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I usually drop 1% every 5 mins or pretty much 10% an hr when I'm Web surfing etc
I just swapped phones on Thurs because of the standby problem and I'm going to test it on Monday at work when I have lots of time for it to stand idle. It was draining about 3-4 % per hr with my previous phone
If it continues like that, I'll have to make the decision to return it (trial ends next Thursday ) or rely on the quick charging (which is excellent! )

Posted via the Android Central App

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have T-mobile version and I don't find issues with it. It only drains my battery when I'm playing games at home on my WiFi. Mind you not I'm at school for 8 hours and I barely get to take the phone out my pocket so I really don't know how good my battery life is

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site
But sometimes after a period of being idle, and when I use it it drops like 2-3 percent automatically.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Just normal every day use.

amazing how much variance there is not only from carrier to carrier, but user to user with the S6. i've read your posts and seen your screen shots, so i have an idea how your experience has been.

what's strange though, is others seem that they're doing the same exact things as you, some have issues, and others it's smooth sailing. i mean, the difference b/t 3 and 5 hours soc is huge, and can determine whether or not people keep their phones or opt for another device.

fortunately i know how it plays out with android, but i think with Samsung being so aggressive going after apple customers, they should've placed more of an emphasis on getting it right rather than putting LP out so quickly. we know the deal, but i imagine there are a fair amount of people that converted that aren't satisfied with their experience.

part of the fun with android is all the customizing, and i'd think people that do leave the fruit behind realize that ... or more likely, they just want a change and thinks the S6 is shiny and cool. i do think, however, that they're really going to have to make some adjustments to their out-of-box experience vs people that customize. customer a, who takes it out of the box, installs their favorite apps, and that's it, shouldn't have such a significant difference in battery life b/t customer b who is your typical AC user and spends a lot of time customizing. if apple can role out their phones and have been able to solve their battery (in regards to it being idle) issues, android should to. i get there's a lot more moving parts, and it's a but more complicated with android, but in 2015, for a $700 flagship device, out of the box that thing should last a full day.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
amazing how much variance there is not only from carrier to carrier, but user to user with the S6. i've read your posts and seen your screen shots, so i have an idea how your experience has been.

what's strange though, is others seem that they're doing the same exact things as you, some have issues, and others it's smooth sailing. i mean, the difference b/t 3 and 5 hours soc is huge, and can determine whether or not people keep their phones or opt for another device.

fortunately i know how it plays out with android, but i think with Samsung being so aggressive going after apple customers, they should've placed more of an emphasis on getting it right rather than putting LP out so quickly. we know the deal, but i imagine there are a fair amount of people that converted that aren't satisfied with their experience.

part of the fun with android is all the customizing, and i'd think people that do leave the fruit behind realize that ... or more likely, they just want a change and thinks the S6 is shiny and cool. i do think, however, that they're really going to have to make some adjustments to their out-of-box experience vs people that customize. customer a, who takes it out of the box, installs their favorite apps, and that's it, shouldn't have such a significant difference in battery life b/t customer b who is your typical AC user and spends a lot of time customizing. if apple can role out their phones and have been able to solve their battery (in regards to it being idle) issues, android should to. i get there's a lot more moving parts, and it's a but more complicated with android, but in 2015, for a $700 flagship device, out of the box that thing should last a full day.

Customization is a strength of Android while optimization is a strength of Apple. Apple makes their own devices and no one else whereas Android is made by different companies which each skinning the OS except Nexus of course and then carriers get involved. Apple is content to tweak features and Android is more feature rich pushing to differentiate themselves in that manner. They now appear to follow Android. Sure they had a fingerprint scanner before the GS6 but they recently added NFC, increased screen size. They have yet to add wireless charging and their camera lags behind or even true multitasking. Their watch follows android watch. These devices meet different needs but are still great in their own way.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Customization is a strength of Android while optimization is a strength of Apple. Apple makes their own devices and no one else whereas Android is made by different companies which each skinning the OS except Nexus of course and then carriers get involved. Apple is content to tweak features and Android is more feature rich pushing to differentiate themselves in that manner. They now appear to follow Android. Sure they had a fingerprint scanner before the GS6 but they recently added NFC, increased screen size. They have yet to add wireless charging and their camera lags behind or even true multitasking. Their watch follows android watch. These devices meet different needs but are still great in their own way.

agree with every you said, and my point didn't intend to compare the two despite it probably coming across that way. i just wonder how phone companies in general haven't placed more of an emphasis on battery life, and think samsung in particular is going to have to figure out how to make the out of box experience better as far as battery. the reason this came to mind is my sister bought the S6 Edge. She's been a life long iphone user but wanted to change it up. She obviously loves it, especially the double tap camera feature and photo quality. I noticed her battery stats were sub par and disabled a few apps, changed a few things up and with the same exact use (which is very minimal) she got over 5 hours SOC. I just think, and I'm sure they're well aware of it, that Android can do a better job launching their latest operating systems so there isn't so much variance from user to user.

The greatest thing about Android is also a weakness to some degree, they have so many options, and so many moving parts, it's impossible for them to roll out a new OS every year without each device having their own problems, in the case of the S6, for some users, it's obviously battery drain.

Anyway, it's a 9/10, I recommended it to family and friends and it's an amazing device. The display is ridiculous and TW (in my opinion) is now a strength. They'll sell em by the tens of millions and eventually the people experiencing issues will have em solved. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with the S7.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
agree with every you said, and my point didn't intend to compare the two despite it probably coming across that way. i just wonder how phone companies in general haven't placed more of an emphasis on battery life, and think samsung in particular is going to have to figure out how to make the out of box experience better as far as battery. the reason this came to mind is my sister bought the S6 Edge. She's been a life long iphone user but wanted to change it up. She obviously loves it, especially the double tap camera feature and photo quality. I noticed her battery stats were sub par and disabled a few apps, changed a few things up and with the same exact use (which is very minimal) she got over 5 hours SOC. I just think, and I'm sure they're well aware of it, that Android can do a better job launching their latest operating systems so there isn't so much variance from user to user.

The greatest thing about Android is also a weakness to some degree, they have so many options, and so many moving parts, it's impossible for them to roll out a new OS every year without each device having their own problems, in the case of the S6, for some users, it's obviously battery drain.

Anyway, it's a 9/10, I recommended it to family and friends and it's an amazing device. The display is ridiculous and TW (in my opinion) is now a strength. They'll sell em by the tens of millions and eventually the people experiencing issues will have em solved. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go with the S7.

It will be interesting to see the future direction. In the here and now, there is the strongly suspected Lollipop issue. The aside, I think that users need to realize that there are differences in carrier coverage areas and device setups. I also have to ask if for CDMA users is that another could be the network setting such as Global making the device work harder searching for bandwidths not available in the area. In the GS6 for CDMA users, there is now only one radio handling voice and data. Could part the issue be how the radio handles the load that two radios previously handled causing more battery drain. Point is that there could be issues unrelated to the device but the device gets blamed anyway. CDMA users seem to have more instances of issues than the GSM issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1