The stock music player can't find any songs

nikk0

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
So i transferred my whole music library to S6 and happily listened to it via the stock music player. Then much later when I had downloaded some new apps and edited settings, I returned to the music player to see that all my songs had vanished. I still have them on the memory and Poweramp can still find them, but not the stock music player? Has anyone this same problem or any possible solution?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn the phone off. Turn the phone on. That will cause a media rescan. (Both the stock player and PowerAmp should be looking at the same data, so they should both be showing the same songs, but sometimes strange things happen.)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you go to Settings -> Application Manager -> All Apps -> Media Storage and tap "Clear Data", then reboot your device, Android will rebuild its media database.

If you still don't have any songs showing up, then make sure you don't have any folders with a period (".") as the first character that contain your music files. If a folder starts with a period, any files or sub-folders will be ignored by the Android media indexer.

Also make sure you don't have a file called ".nomedia" in your folders with your music files. This will also force Android to not scan those folders (and sub-folders).

nikk0

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for both answers. I tried clearing media storage data and rebooting, but it didn't help. Actually now also my photos disappeared from gallery :D My music is under folder called "Music" and it doesn't contain a .nomedia file.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The only other thing I would try as a last resort was to delete your music files from your device (assuming you have them backed up elsewhere) and then copy them back on the device.

nikk0

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I went to my computer, opened the phone's storage and guess what I found - a .nomedia file. I deleted it and now my songs and photos are back. Thank you very much :)

mrkymrk702

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
hey yeah so same problem. like 90% of my music just disappeared. how did you recover it? you went to my computer? so did you connect the phone to your pc to fix it?

hallamjr

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Bought my girls a phone each for Christmas, and have the same problem. Standard music player can't see any music files after i transferred them over from my PC. I can't find a ".nomedia" file. Downloaded VLC player and it finds and plays the music without any issues.

Demetre Velazquez

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Create this folder com.google.android.music and put in on your SD card just inside the main "data" folder. Put your music files inside com.google.android.music and not inside another folder. Should work like a charm. note 3.

ItGuy_73

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
Renaming my music folder on the sd card with es explorer did the trick for me.
B4 this I picked individual files from each sub folder and made a ringtone via es player.
I assume only renaming even with the built in explorer would have sufficed.

natphilsoc

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
Tried the above with no success then did this: Go into music app showing no folders. Take SD Card out of phone. Put SD Card back in phone. Phone shows busy and searching for a minute or two. Then shows folders. HTH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith