When I buy a new phone I always set it as I know I'll use it the most, just set to be more battery efficient while it allows me to use everything I'll need. So in this past 2 weeks, I was testing and testing and it always gave me between 5.25-6 hours of SoT with everything I want on and working.

Then I always move to step 2, where I begin experimenting little by little with things that even when I don't use them, I see people using them and I'd try it just to see how helpful it can be to me, so yesterday I factory reset the phone and set everything again the same but just added the Location feature (turn it on all the time), I turned it on since last night and I began seeing the different Google cards related to them, I set it in Wifi and Cellular data only (Power saving mode) and even with that my battery life has been the worst since I got the phone, I got a little over 4 hours of SoT.

One thing I immediately noticed is that Google got rid of Location Reporting settings, so now, turning Location on will automatically trigger Location History and Reporting, you can only turn Location History off and not Reporting, if you go to the Location settings. Just before latest Google Updates (I know because I saw it there a couple of days ago) you could turn one on and not the other. Everybody know that the battery drain has always been related to Location Reporting, so in a summary, if you turn on Location now it will definitely drain your battery a lot more than before.

FYI, Location Reporting has never been needed, that's Google trick to know everywhere you go so it can use that data for their ads, so now they seem to just decided to force everybody to do the Reporting.

To finish, I turned Location off again (will turn it on when I need it) and my battery life got back to normal, averaging 5.5 hours of SoT right now. So, food for thoughts.
    warpdrive and jcp007 like this.
    04-24-2015 07:20 PM
    That is so true. I get similar results with mine.

Yet I do notice that there is a history on/off switch buried in Google under location services. Even a switch to turn on/off your phone history. Do you think this helps? Or was it only reporting that helped and history does nothing?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-24-2015 07:32 PM
    When I bought a new phone I always set it as I know I'll use it the most, just set to be more battery efficient while it allows me to use everything I'll need. So in this past 2 weeks, I was testing and testing and it always gave me between 5.25-6 hours of SoT with everything I want on and working.

Then I always move to step 2, where I begin experimenting little by little with things that even when I don't use them, I see people using them and I'd try it just to see how helpful it can be to me, so yesterday I factory reset the phone and set everything again the same but just added the Location feature (turn it on all the time), I turned it on since last night and I began seeing the different Google cards related to them, I set it in Wifi and Cellular data only (Power saving mode) and even with that my battery life has been the worst since I got the phone, I got a little over 4 hours of SoT.

One thing I immediately noticed is that Google got rid of Location Reporting settings, so now, turning Location on will automatically trigger Location History and Reporting. Just before latest Google Updates (I know because I saw it there a couple of days ago) you could turn one on and not the other. Everybody know that the battery drain has always been related to Location Reporting, so in a summary, if you turn on Location now it will definitely drain your battery a lot more than before.

FYI, Location Reporting has never been needed, that's Google trick to know everywhere you go so it can use that data for their ads, so now they seem to just decided to force everybody to do the Reporting.

To finish, I turned Location off again (will turn it on when I need it) and my battery life got back to normal, averaging 5.5 hours of SoT right now. So, food for thoughts.
    It stands to reason, with the Location on, the device is constantly pinging it location as long as the device is on and therefore draining more,power.
    04-24-2015 07:34 PM
    That is so true. I get similar results with mine.

Yet I do notice that there is a history on/off switch buried in Google under location services. Even a switch to turn on/off your phone history. Do you think this helps? Or was it only reporting that helped and history does nothing?

Up until latest version, or at least latest that I noticed it, leaving Location history on didn't do to much to the battery, the one that was a huge drain was always Reporting. I even mentioned this last year in my thread about tweaks for the S5.
    04-24-2015 07:39 PM
    Up until latest version, or at least latest that I noticed it, leaving Location history on didn't do to much to the battery, the one that was a huge drain was always Reporting. I even mentioned this last year in my thread about tweaks for the S5.
    Thanks, just wanted to be sure as I'm not always up to the latest news on such stuff.

As always, you're the best. And a big thank you for all the help you give to everyone.

erasat likes this.
    04-24-2015 07:52 PM
    Is there any benefit to turning Location History on if you don't use Google Now?
    I leave mine off, but I don't even use Google Now.
    04-24-2015 07:54 PM
    One thing I immediately noticed is that Google got rid of Location Reporting settings, so now, turning Location on will automatically trigger Location History and Reporting
    This is not true, you can turn location on and still have Location History turned off
    I still have my LocationHistory settings and mine is turned off, but I keep location on 24/7
    04-24-2015 07:55 PM
    This is not true, you can turn location on and still have Location History turned off
    I still have my LocationHistory settings and mine is turned off, but I keep location on 24/7
    You're right I was talking all the time about Reporting and didn't expressed this correctly, what I meant was that once you turn on location it will trigger those History and Reporting by default but you can turn off only history now, not reporting. I do use history as it help with my Google now cards and some Maps stuff.

I'll edit the previous post to avoid confusion, thanks.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-24-2015 08:14 PM
    Is there any benefit to turning Location History on if you don't use Google Now?
    I leave mine off, but I don't even use Google Now.
    No benefits, just battery drain not as bad as the Location Reporting but any service running is draining battery.
    04-24-2015 08:19 PM
    No benefits, just battery drain.
    I only turn on Location only when I absolutely need to. It's off otherwise.
    04-24-2015 08:23 PM
    By turning location off I won't be able to search for close business and use maps right?
    04-24-2015 08:24 PM
    By turning location off I won't be able to search for close business and use maps right?
    Do you do it all the time? Just use it when you need it. I like to think of it as a part of active battery life management.
    04-24-2015 08:26 PM
    I only turn on Location only when I absolutely need to. It's off otherwise.
    The only reason I leave mine on is so the weather app on my homescreen can update. I like to see it update every 3 hours
    20blks likes this.
    04-24-2015 08:32 PM
    You can use Maps but it uses the Location History to show you commute predictions and some improved searches. I think that Location Reporting is the one that is used for look for close business and related features.
    04-24-2015 08:33 PM
    The only reason I leave mine on is so the weather app on my homescreen can update. I like to see it update every 3 hours
    That's cool. But you can update it manually as well. What about the nine hours or so that you're asleep? Battery still drains. Everyone has a different usage and habits.
    04-24-2015 08:34 PM
    New to android from Apple. Loving this s6. If location is turned off does that turn off Android Device Manager if you lost your phone and wouldn't be able to find it? Or does the device manager override it once you request the location?

04-24-2015 08:40 PM
    That's cool. But you can update it manually as well. What about the nine hours or so that you're asleep? Battery still drains. Everyone has a different usage and habits.
    Yeah, but too lazy to update manually lol
    Besides, I charge my phone overnight anyways

You're right about everyone being different. Guess it all depends on what a person wants or needs
    04-24-2015 08:44 PM
    New to android from Apple. Loving this s6. If location is turned off does that turn off Android Device Manager if you lost your phone and wouldn't be able to find it? Or does the device manager override it once you request the location?

For that to work I think you may have Location on but like it was posted above, you can leave Location On, and then off Location History, assuming that turning off History also shutdown Reporting, then you may have the best of both worlds.

But I'd suggest you to set and use Find My Mobile from Samsung, same concept, but some huge and helpful addition, take a look in settings and do a search for it.
    04-24-2015 08:46 PM