I'm not new to AC as having the HTC M7 and 8 for the past two years but am new to the Galaxy family, so please be gentle .

The M9 didn't really grab my attention and wanted to try something different so, this past Saturday I picked up a standard 64 gb in white (yes I am a dude) S6 on Bell here in Canada. There is a bit of learning curve with TouchWiz and button positioning, but so far I am more than impressed with what Samsung has done with this phone.

Key features that drew me to the phone were:

- The camera. I have seen the pictures posted here on AC and other sights so I already knew the quality was superb. It was more the double-tapping of the home button which very quickly brings the camera up even when the phone is in idle mode (screen off), which in my mind is great as I have kids and not always easy to capture the moment when having to swipe or hit a power button then the camera icon.

- The keyboard. After typing on the demo unit and going back to HTC One, I felt my typing improved on the S6 using stock.

- S Planner. My wife has the S4 and was so jealous of the calendar on her phone. I know it sounds lame but it is, in my opinion, the coolest calender app out there.

Things that I am getting used to

- As stated earlier the button positioning but that will come with time. No different than going from a Xbox to PS or Nintendo.

- After using the HTC M8 and double-tapping the screen to come on for the last year I keep forgetting I can't do that on the S6.

- Obviously the speaker isn't going to be as good as Boomsound on the HTC but, it is still adequate enough for the basics such as music, watching You Tube videos, or movie trailers.

- TouchWiz. I always love a good challenge and learning how different operating systems work. I have played with iOS, BBOS, BB10, and Sense.

My only gripes so far:

- I have noticed the phone disconnects from Wi-Fi once in a while, but that could be my router.

- The way stock email is setup. In Sense, you could swipe left to right and it would bring up all your accounts. Unless, I am missing something you can't do that in TW. If anyone has a suggestion that would be greatly appreciated.

I can't really give a good analysis on the battery life as I am still in the 'honeymoon' phase so naturally the battery is going to die quickly as I can't put the device down. However, I did research (prior to purchase) about battery concerns and followed the suggested tips, adjustments, and what nots here in the S6 forums after I got the phone. So hopefully all goes well.
    04-27-2015 04:47 PM

- After using the HTC M8 and double-tapping the screen to come on for the last year I keep forgetting I can't do that on the S6.
    I know what you mean as I come from a Sony Xperia Z3 and OnePlus One as my last daily driver before the S6 edge, but once you set the home button with the Fingerprint you'll see that you won't miss the double tapping. It's such a convenience to simply press the Home button once (one less tap than the double tapping on screen) and leave the finger there for up to a second and the phone is already unlocked. I know that if you don't use Lock protection this seems like a hassle, but it's so fast that you will love the security that brings you the lock combined with the easy unlocking.

My only gripes so far:

- I have noticed the phone disconnects from Wi-Fi once in a while, but that could be my router.

I can't really give a good analysis on the battery life as I am still in the 'honeymoon' phase so naturally the battery is going to die quickly as I can't put the device down. However, I did research (prior to purchase) about battery concerns and followed the suggested tips, adjustments, and what nots here in the S6 forums after I got the phone. So hopefully all goes well.
    For the battery check the threads already here, and follow the suggestions you think you need for your usage, but believe me it can make a difference on your battery life.

Also on that thread I created I mentioned to turn off Smart Network (I think it may be related to your Wifi issues) and Scanning Always available, both of these in the Wifi settings.
    blackhawksfan75 likes this.
    04-27-2015 04:59 PM
    Your thread is the one I went to and followed the recommended steps for clearing the cache, doing a full reboot, and clearing/disabling certain apps. Obviously, it must be carrier related since I didn't have some the features that were shown in the pictures.

I just made the adjustments in regards to the Wi-Fi settings. So I will see if that does help with those issues.
    erasat likes this.
    04-27-2015 05:16 PM
    I actually traded in my M9 for the S6 yesterday and I love it. I loved the M9, but the camera was pretty bad on it. I went on a day trip on Saturday and the pictures were dark and cool, even in sunlight. I don't want a bad camera. So I got the S6. Don't get me wrong, the M9 is an awesome phone, but I don't want to have to play around with camera settings to get the perfect picture. With the S6, all I have to do is double tap the home button and I can take perfect pictures using the auto settings.

The battery on the S6 is a trade-off, however; but I purchased a 6,000 mAh powerbank with my phone and I don't have to worry about the battery dying during the day.
    04-27-2015 05:55 PM
    I actually traded in my M9 for the S6 yesterday and I love it. I loved the M9, but the camera was pretty bad on it. I went on a day trip on Saturday and the pictures were dark and cool, even in sunlight. I don't want a bad camera. So I got the S6. Don't get me wrong, the M9 is an awesome phone, but I don't want to have to play around with camera settings to get the perfect picture. With the S6, all I have to do is double tap the home button and I can take perfect pictures using the auto settings.

The battery on the S6 is a trade-off, however; but I purchased a 6,000 mAh powerbank with my phone and I don't have to worry about the battery dying during the day.
    Depending upon your carrier, signal strength, and blind luck, your battery should be better than the. M9. More efficient and powerful chipset, UFS2.0 and QHD display consume less power than you might think. You're also getting dual wireless charging standards and dual mobile payment systems.
    04-27-2015 06:18 PM
    Depending upon your carrier, signal strength, and blind luck, your battery should be better than the. M9. More efficient and powerful chipset, UFS2.0 and QHD display consume less power than you might think. You're also getting dual wireless charging standards and dual mobile payment systems.
    I'm on AT&T and cell standby uses almost 20% of my battery!
    04-27-2015 06:54 PM
    What version of Google Play Services?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-27-2015 07:33 PM
    I too am on AT&T and after the first two days of the play services update and no cell standby, I now once again get high cell standby.
    But this doesn't affect my SoT or standby times.

It's something to notice, but not go crazy over as long as your phone is acting normal and has good battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-27-2015 07:42 PM
    What version of Google Play Services?
    04-27-2015 09:37 PM
    Have you tried some of the other tips in some of the other threads? It's puzzling as we are on the same carrier.
    04-27-2015 09:43 PM

Give it a couple of more complete charge cycles.
    04-27-2015 09:44 PM
    Have you tried some of the other tips in some of the other threads? It's puzzling as we are on the same carrier.
    I have. I turned off "Enhanced 4G LTE services" in "Mobile Data" in Settings. I turn off my wi-fi when I'm out-and-about. I also turned off my GPS and "Always allow scanning" in the Advanced Wi-fi settings.

I'm hoping AT&T hurries up with the Android 5.1 update with this device. It saved on a lot of battery power on my Nexus 6 when I had it.
    04-27-2015 10:07 PM