Lock screen timeout too short, how can I lengthen it?

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Lock screen timeout too short

Is there a setting to control the Lock Screen Timeout? It seems to be 5 seconds. I'd like it to be a little longer than that.

What I've tried so far:

• Settings > Display and wallpaper > Screen timeout: doesn't seem to have any affect on lock screen.
  • Settings > Lock screen and security: can't find any settings relating to timeout.
  • "Smart Stay": seems to help, but doesn't work in all situations (in the dark, for example).

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lock screen timeout too short

How about going to "lockscreen and security" then "secure lock settings" then "lock automatically "

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Is there a setting to control the Lock Screen Timeout?

Unfortunately, there's no separate timeout setting just for the lock screen. It's worth noting that in power saving mode it goes off faster. I've just gotten in the habit of putting a thumb or finger on the screen since interaction prevents a quick blackout, even if you're unlocking with a fingerprint.

Raymond Elliott

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Try the app kinscreen. It will keep screen alive as long as it detects motion. If it is still, as on a table, then it will time-out to the time you set. Be sure to include lock screen in kinscreen settings. I've been using the paid version for a long time.

postmaster87

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site

Settings>Display>Screen timeout
Here you can select 15 or 30s and 1,2,5, or 10m. Be aware I have the edge but would imagine its the same for all s6's

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Settings>Display>Screen timeout
Here you can select 15 or 30s and 1,2,5, or 10m. Be aware I have the edge but would imagine its the same for all s6's

Screen timeout pertains to the display duration after the phone has been unlocked.

This thread discusses the length of the lock screen duration itself -- which by default is 6 seconds in regular mode, and 3 seconds in power saving mode. For me, on AT&T (and still on 5.0.2) there's no setting to change that duration without using a replacement lock screen app.

bjd1566

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site

Try the app kinscreen. It will keep screen alive as long as it detects motion. If it is still, as on a table, then it will time-out to the time you set. Be sure to include lock screen in kinscreen settings. I've been using the paid version for a long time.

I installed that app after reading your post recently, and it seems to have fixed it for me.

Lock screen stays on a long as I don't put it down. (Which is a good thing since I don't want it to stay on forever if I happen to put it on the table). Also overcomes Samsungs less than great stay awake feature which turns the screen off even though I'm staring at it. Thanks for the heads up!!

anon(6139840)

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the app heads up! Kinscreen is great for my blood pressure & prevents my being stared at because I'm ranting at my lock screen! 😆 Definitely worth the $3 to unlock all settings, too.

Nice job!

Jonathan Gonzalez4

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Ok. So recently I used "power saving" mode. I took it off immediately after I didn't need it any longer. For some reason, the Android system on my phone didn't register that, so my phone lock screen kept time-outing after 3-seconds (kinda annoying when trying to use Samsung Pay).

Anyways, do what I did: simply go to Settings>System>Battery>Power Saving Mode>On

Then just turn it back off. Kinda like cycling it, but only once. This time around, my Edge seemed to pick it up, and register it. My timeout screen is now longer than those annoying 3-seconds.

jmheino2

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I have heard that some company owned phones have very short clock screen timeout settings as fixed default obviously for safety reasons. I don't know if there is any workaround for that. Anyway, I can imagine that cooking at weekends would be quite challenging with continuously disappearing cookbook...

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

easy fix for that.
enable developer options then in there enable stay awake. that way the screen will not turn off while the phone is charging.

kosheyar

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
i hve the same problem too
Android 4.4.2
my device is samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition completely root access
i dnt know why this issue not fixed
i really can not fix it
it auto set on lowest time after each set
i just use kinscreen to active screen on
my developers options is enabled too
this is my screen shot from screentime out settings