Notifications interrupting audio

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
How do I stop notifications from interrupting music or podcast playback? It's starting to drive me nuts

Posted via the Android Central App

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
That defeats the point of notifications. Every other phone, android or iPhone, doesn't have this issue. There has to be away to disable something so dumb

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure I understand what is the problem. Do you mean like your music playback completely stops music or podcasts? If so that's not how it should be. I know on my phone, using Google Play Music or Pocket Casts, a notification will make its sound and the audio will continue playing.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Listening to music or podcasts the volume drops to zero as a notification comes in and then takes a second to come back up after. Worst of all the music or podcast doesn't pause, it keeps on playing. I just want the notification to play softly over the audio. I ant find the setting anywhere

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand what is the problem. Do you mean like your music playback completely stops music or podcasts? If so that's not how it should be. I know on my phone, using Google Play Music or Pocket Casts, a notification will make its sound and the audio will continue playing.

This is a perfect example of when a consumer thinks that they know what they want and doesn't understand the consequences of their wants.

Alerts such as texts and emails are far more important than some podcast or music playback and if done the way he asks would miss important messages because the podcast didn't allow him to hear the alert and would then come here and complain. Next thing you know he'll ask why a incoming phone call should override and interrupt his game or podcast.

I mean no disrespect to the author of this thread, but this is normal with all of the phones I've used and even if there was a switch to active such a request I'm telling you this person would then complain about missing his notifications or that his Lady Gaga text alert is playing the whole length of the alert interrupting his podcast.

I am in no way saying that there aren't people who would want this to happen his way. It's just that being the 1% of the public, he's grossly out voted.

Bradskey

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's your opinion, mine is different. It is not a given that the next BS marketing email or banal text message is "far" more important to me during my commute than what I'm already listening to. Anyway other phones and versions of Android have clearly have worked differently. I don't really mind hearing the quick little "ding" for a notification, which I believe I'm accustomed to on my old S3 anyway, but the way the GS6 does it is ridiculous. The audio in flight slowly and tediously turns down in volume, then you hear the stupid ding from some typically useless notification (yay more Amazon spam), and then the volume of the media you were listening to returns to normal, but much too slowly and tediously. It must take like 5 seconds of interruption just to play a little notification sound. Its stupid, just make the notification quick, play it on top of the media audio if you have to, and then hurry up and shutup and go away. Or at least give me an OPTION to configure it, and also include an option to not be interrupted at all while you're at it. Android is supposed to be about choice, and I'm seeing several odd/annoying design decisions and incomprehensible missing features on the S6.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
This is a perfect example of when a consumer thinks that they know what they want and doesn't understand the consequences of their wants.

Alerts such as texts and emails are far more important than some podcast or music playback and if done the way he asks would miss important messages because the podcast didn't allow him to hear the alert and would then come here and complain. Next thing you know he'll ask why a incoming phone call should override and interrupt his game or podcast.

I mean no disrespect to the author of this thread, but this is normal with all of the phones I've used and even if there was a switch to active such a request I'm telling you this person would then complain about missing his notifications or that his Lady Gaga text alert is playing the whole length of the alert interrupting his podcast.

I am in no way saying that there aren't people who would want this to happen his way. It's just that being the 1% of the public, he's grossly out voted.

This is the only phone, android or iOS, that has done this. I've never missed a notification the way I described because you still hear it. If Apple, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc can get it right why can't Samsung.

And before you decide next time to assume the manufacturer has it right and blast me, trying using something that has figured it out. The implementation of this on the S6 is garbage, and your response doesn't come across well.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This is the only phone, android or iOS, that has done this. I've never missed a notification the way I described because you still hear it. If Apple, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc can get it right why can't Samsung.

And before you decide next time to assume the manufacturer has it right and blast me, trying using something that has figured it out. The implementation of this on the S6 is garbage, and your response doesn't come across well.

I've used HTC, LG, and a bunch of other Android phones. They all act in a similar way. My back up phone is a HTC One m8 Btw.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
does anyone else get a noticeable volume drop while listening to Spotify?

Yep.

This is exactly what I expect - I get a notification, the volume drops, I hear the notification and then Spotify resumes.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My old HTC One M7 would play the notifications on the device and not interrupt the Bluetooth audio. I very much prefer this situation to what my s6 does.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Does the same thing.. doesn't go back up though.. or maybe I'm to impatient... My S3 would interrupt music and as it interrupted it paused the music and went back.

think we need an update :p

Ju1es

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I have recently (4 days ago) upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I agree the notification interrupt while music (Google Music App) is playing is very frustrating.

As others have mentioned the music fades to silence, the notification sounds, the music fades back in. It takes far too long. I'm comparing this with other Android phones that I have owned. I previously owned a HTC One M7 and the M8. They both dealt with the above situation without having to fade the music completely, and far quicker.

I have even turned sound notifications off on some apps, but I still experience a fade in music, silence, a visual notification, and the music fades back in.

-Scienide-

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'll throw my name in the hat here too. It sucks donkey nuts. I'm jamming in the kitchen while I load the dishwasher and then BOOYAH! The audio cuts out... then a shuhitty little ding dong noise and then it takes froever to crank the volume back up. By this time I've lost my groove and I just load the dishwasher in silence.... weeping gently.....

But yeah, it is a pain in the ***.

OriginalMrC

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah this is annoying, been wondering if there's a way to turn it off. Other phones do it as well but it's the length of the pause that's the problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton