02-12-2019 02:24 PM
63 123
tools
    How do I stop notifications from interrupting music or podcast playback? It's starting to drive me nuts

Posted via the Android Central App
    ThePoopsmith and Maharaj586 like this.
    04-28-2015 12:45 PM
    Turn the phone to silent or vibrate.
    04-28-2015 01:12 PM
    That defeats the point of notifications. Every other phone, android or iPhone, doesn't have this issue. There has to be away to disable something so dumb

Maharaj586 likes this.
    04-28-2015 01:57 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what is the problem. Do you mean like your music playback completely stops music or podcasts? If so that's not how it should be. I know on my phone, using Google Play Music or Pocket Casts, a notification will make its sound and the audio will continue playing.
    04-28-2015 02:00 PM
    Exactly. Listening to music or podcasts the volume drops to zero as a notification comes in and then takes a second to come back up after. Worst of all the music or podcast doesn't pause, it keeps on playing. I just want the notification to play softly over the audio. I ant find the setting anywhere

04-28-2015 04:13 PM
    I've noticed this also listening to audible and voice recordings, it is a problem.
    04-28-2015 04:19 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what is the problem. Do you mean like your music playback completely stops music or podcasts? If so that's not how it should be. I know on my phone, using Google Play Music or Pocket Casts, a notification will make its sound and the audio will continue playing.
    This is a perfect example of when a consumer thinks that they know what they want and doesn't understand the consequences of their wants.

Alerts such as texts and emails are far more important than some podcast or music playback and if done the way he asks would miss important messages because the podcast didn't allow him to hear the alert and would then come here and complain. Next thing you know he'll ask why a incoming phone call should override and interrupt his game or podcast.

I mean no disrespect to the author of this thread, but this is normal with all of the phones I've used and even if there was a switch to active such a request I'm telling you this person would then complain about missing his notifications or that his Lady Gaga text alert is playing the whole length of the alert interrupting his podcast.

I am in no way saying that there aren't people who would want this to happen his way. It's just that being the 1% of the public, he's grossly out voted.

04-28-2015 05:17 PM
    That's your opinion, mine is different. It is not a given that the next BS marketing email or banal text message is "far" more important to me during my commute than what I'm already listening to. Anyway other phones and versions of Android have clearly have worked differently. I don't really mind hearing the quick little "ding" for a notification, which I believe I'm accustomed to on my old S3 anyway, but the way the GS6 does it is ridiculous. The audio in flight slowly and tediously turns down in volume, then you hear the stupid ding from some typically useless notification (yay more Amazon spam), and then the volume of the media you were listening to returns to normal, but much too slowly and tediously. It must take like 5 seconds of interruption just to play a little notification sound. Its stupid, just make the notification quick, play it on top of the media audio if you have to, and then hurry up and shutup and go away. Or at least give me an OPTION to configure it, and also include an option to not be interrupted at all while you're at it. Android is supposed to be about choice, and I'm seeing several odd/annoying design decisions and incomprehensible missing features on the S6.
    04-28-2015 05:49 PM
    This is a perfect example of when a consumer thinks that they know what they want and doesn't understand the consequences of their wants.

Alerts such as texts and emails are far more important than some podcast or music playback and if done the way he asks would miss important messages because the podcast didn't allow him to hear the alert and would then come here and complain. Next thing you know he'll ask why a incoming phone call should override and interrupt his game or podcast.

I mean no disrespect to the author of this thread, but this is normal with all of the phones I've used and even if there was a switch to active such a request I'm telling you this person would then complain about missing his notifications or that his Lady Gaga text alert is playing the whole length of the alert interrupting his podcast.

I am in no way saying that there aren't people who would want this to happen his way. It's just that being the 1% of the public, he's grossly out voted.

This is the only phone, android or iOS, that has done this. I've never missed a notification the way I described because you still hear it. If Apple, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc can get it right why can't Samsung.

And before you decide next time to assume the manufacturer has it right and blast me, trying using something that has figured it out. The implementation of this on the S6 is garbage, and your response doesn't come across well.

TimmE likes this.
    04-28-2015 05:50 PM
    This is the only phone, android or iOS, that has done this. I've never missed a notification the way I described because you still hear it. If Apple, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc can get it right why can't Samsung.

And before you decide next time to assume the manufacturer has it right and blast me, trying using something that has figured it out. The implementation of this on the S6 is garbage, and your response doesn't come across well.

I've used HTC, LG, and a bunch of other Android phones. They all act in a similar way. My back up phone is a HTC One m8 Btw.

04-28-2015 06:06 PM
    And I just tested on my M7 GPE. Notifications don't stop the music. They play over them

04-28-2015 06:17 PM
    does anyone else get a noticeable volume drop while listening to Spotify?
    04-28-2015 07:42 PM
    When I'm watching youtube videos with built in speaker my volume drops when I receive messages and then goes back up
    04-28-2015 10:39 PM
    does anyone else get a noticeable volume drop while listening to Spotify?

Yep.

This is exactly what I expect - I get a notification, the volume drops, I hear the notification and then Spotify resumes.
    04-29-2015 07:05 AM
    There's an app in the play store called Don't Pause! icon is like a red headset or something. Should help.
    RedBarchetta likes this.
    04-29-2015 11:36 AM
    My old HTC One M7 would play the notifications on the device and not interrupt the Bluetooth audio. I very much prefer this situation to what my s6 does.

drone3 likes this.
    04-29-2015 07:21 PM
    Does the same thing.. doesn't go back up though.. or maybe I'm to impatient... My S3 would interrupt music and as it interrupted it paused the music and went back.

think we need an update :P
    gevans416 likes this.
    05-04-2015 09:58 AM
    I have recently (4 days ago) upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I agree the notification interrupt while music (Google Music App) is playing is very frustrating.

As others have mentioned the music fades to silence, the notification sounds, the music fades back in. It takes far too long. I'm comparing this with other Android phones that I have owned. I previously owned a HTC One M7 and the M8. They both dealt with the above situation without having to fade the music completely, and far quicker.

I have even turned sound notifications off on some apps, but I still experience a fade in music, silence, a visual notification, and the music fades back in.
    gevans416 likes this.
    07-21-2015 04:51 AM
    I'll throw my name in the hat here too. It sucks donkey nuts. I'm jamming in the kitchen while I load the dishwasher and then BOOYAH! The audio cuts out... then a shuhitty little ding dong noise and then it takes froever to crank the volume back up. By this time I've lost my groove and I just load the dishwasher in silence.... weeping gently.....

But yeah, it is a pain in the ***.
    drone3 and gevans416 like this.
    07-21-2015 02:59 PM
    Yeah this is annoying, been wondering if there's a way to turn it off. Other phones do it as well but it's the length of the pause that's the problem

07-21-2015 03:30 PM
    The "Don't Pause!" app has provided an automatic work around for me. I upgraded to the pro version. It auto detects headphones, or a bluetooth device, and stops notification sounds while playing music.

Thank you tosinwashere.
    RedBarchetta likes this.
    07-23-2015 03:13 AM
    ******* no! I know perfectly well what's more important for me! I ******* don't care about twitter or skype notifications every ten second, I want to listen to my clip!

This is typically a case where the programmer believes he knows better than the user (and I'm a programmer!).
    09-05-2015 07:39 PM
    I agree, it's annoying at the gym. I get into a groove and then bam, no music! Thanks for the tip to use the app Don't pause. I'll give it a try.

"It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine."
    gevans416 likes this.
    09-05-2015 11:09 PM
    I have both an iPhone six plus and an S6 and I definitely notice this on my S6 when notifications come through while I'm watching YouTube videos. It's ridiculous how long it takes and usually I end up rewinding the video to watch what I missed. Even in silent mode it does the same thing where it becomes silent just for a vibration. Wtf is up with that
    gevans416 likes this.
    09-08-2015 04:19 PM
    I think the point is to be given the option to have it act the way a user wishes. I know some applications have the choice to lower the volume of what is playing when a notification comes in. I don't want anybody telling me what I prefer, if I did i would get an iPhone
    09-10-2015 10:20 AM
63 123