06-28-2015 11:16 AM
395 ... 13141516
tools
    finally got my hands on the G4. was surprised how comfortable it was in hand considering its size.

when specs are as close as they've become, I don't pay attention to em, they just don't interest me. I judge a phone from real world use, nothing more.

I'm not gonna just the pros and cons of each, we all know what they are, but I have to admit I was kinda disappointed with the G4. I just couldn't get over the UX, it's really ugly imo and hasn't made much progress. can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer TW.

I'm passing on both, I just don't feel like dropping the cash when both my phones are still good enough, and I'll probably just grab a Note and/or Nexus in a few months.

I can't think of 10 reasons, or even 5, why the S6 is better, but if I had to choose one it would definitely be the S6.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Even if you said that you liked the G4 better, I would respect your choice. There is nothing wrong with the note line of phones, and I'm sure that the next nexus is gonna nock it out of the park. The best thing about Android is that we have choices. I wish you luck with whatever you decide on the end.

Aquila likes this.
    06-09-2015 08:38 PM
    People are strange when you're a stranger, faces are ugly when you're alone.
    Women seem wicked when you're not wanted.... Wait what? We're not singing the doors? This is a phone forum? My bad.

Dude, you are bad to the bone.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-09-2015 08:39 PM
    lol ... that song is gonna be in my head the rest of the night!

Aquila likes this.
    06-09-2015 08:40 PM
    Oh, no dude... I am OBJECTIVELY strange. Ask anyone!
    He is. He really is.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-09-2015 08:40 PM
    lol ... that song is gonna be in my head the rest of the night!

When I look at my GS6, how about Back in Black.
    06-09-2015 09:47 PM
    I hit the sack...I've been to long I'm glad to be back

warpdrive likes this.
    06-09-2015 10:07 PM
    When I look at my GS6, how about Back in Black.
    If you keep doing this, I'll keep singing. I can out do silly real easy tonight as I had a great interview today and I think they are going to call me back.

06-09-2015 10:13 PM
    Samsung does not stop anyone from using the Adaptive Fast Charger that's included in the box 100% of the time.
    incorrect. the fast charge charges at different rates depending how much charge the battery has. It's controlled by software.

The decision to add fast charge was most likely a marketing one, and not an engineering one. the qualm the user demand for replaceable battery. from an advertisement and sales perspective which sounds better:
    we removed the function of a removable battery
    OR
    we removed the function of a removable battery, but are able to add 4 hours of battery with 10min of charge.

thought experiment: if you're an executive for these companies. How much long term battery longevity would you sacrifice to be able to add this feature which would sell more phones, which therefor increases your bonus.

unfortunately lg g4 followed suit to add fast charge after samsung announced. I'm even more worried about theirs because it was hastily added in response to competition rather than planned from the beginning.
    06-10-2015 02:16 AM
    QC2 is supported by the SoC. LG supported it from the moment they chose the 808.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    jcp007 and aggie like this.
    06-10-2015 06:03 AM
    incorrect. the fast charge charges at different rates depending how much charge the battery has. It's controlled by software.

The decision to add fast charge was most likely a marketing one, and not an engineering one. the qualm the user demand for replaceable battery. from an advertisement and sales perspective which sounds better:
    we removed the function of a removable battery
    OR
    we removed the function of a removable battery, but are able to add 4 hours of battery with 10min of charge.

thought experiment: if you're an executive for these companies. How much long term battery longevity would you sacrifice to be able to add this feature which would sell more phones, which therefor increases your bonus.

unfortunately lg g4 followed suit to add fast charge after samsung announced. I'm even more worried about theirs because it was hastily added in response to competition rather than planned from the beginning.
    Unless you are keeping your device more than three years , how much battery degradation are going to notice at that point?
    06-10-2015 06:11 AM
    QC2 is supported by the SoC. LG supported it from the moment they chose the 808.

How's Android. Moon Pie Dev working out performance wise? Is it living up to its billing?
    06-10-2015 06:12 AM
    How's Android. Moon Pie Dev working out performance wise? Is it living up to its billing?
    Just about to 298 hours up time, battery is same or better then 5.1, a could of bugs with apps (nest, viper, weird things) - overall very stable.

jcp007 likes this.
    06-10-2015 06:20 AM
    Just about to 298 hours up time, battery is same or better then 5.1, a could of bugs with apps (nest, viper, weird things) - overall very stable.

How is RAM management? When do you anticipate another Dev update version to test?
    06-10-2015 06:27 AM

298 hours up time?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    06-10-2015 09:43 AM
    298 hours up time?

No crashes/resets.
    06-10-2015 10:10 AM
    That's nice

06-10-2015 12:32 PM
    I'm curious if LG and Samsung will embrace Material Design when they roll out M either in new devices or as OTA's to the G4, S6, Note 4, Note 5, etc.
    06-10-2015 01:00 PM
    I'm curious if LG and Samsung will embrace Material Design when they roll out M either in new devices or as OTA's to the G4, S6, Note 4, Note 5, etc.
    I would think that Samsung is more likely but I don't see them abandoning Touchwiz unless they get Tizen running.

06-10-2015 01:44 PM
    People believe that I am strangely objective.
    Heh heh heh

06-10-2015 02:33 PM
    JCP, have you seen this? I'm still skeptical since we've heard it from Google 1000x, but this is the first time I've seen evidence supporting a Google project aimed to improve standby time.

This is great news, I'd be lying if i said my i don't have my hopes up!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...me-to-nexus-5/

06-10-2015 02:41 PM
    JCP, have you seen this? I'm still skeptical since we've heard it from Google 1000x, but this is the first time I've seen evidence supporting a Google project aimed to improve standby time.

This is great news, I'd be lying if i said my i don't have my hopes up!

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...me-to-nexus-5/

Thanks for the great article. I heard about it this morning. This sounds like a slightly different tune from Google. This would not only have a faster slicker device but battery life on such a small battery wouldn't be such a big deal.

06-10-2015 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the great article. I heard about it this morning. This sounds like a slightly different tune from Google. This would not only have a faster slicker device but battery life on such a small battery wouldn't be such a big deal.

yeah it was definitely nice to see some tangible evidence after years of different projects coming and going. if project volta ever comes to fruition, it combined with doze would really be sick.

BTW 2 things ... a thread that can illicit the range of emotion this one did is successful, 370 is a big number and I enjoyed participating it. I can't imagine what they actually discuss on the Apple sites. It'd be so boring if we didn't have such a diversity and different opinions.

Second, after gloating about how I keep my phones in such great condition (they literally didn't have a single scratch) I managed to shatter both my Nexus 4 and S4 this week.

I'm using am iPhone 5 right now which is torture, and I'm not sure I'll be able to wait all summer til the Note/Nexus/Moto X drop. I'll probably grab the S6 and hopefully be part of the crowd that does get solid battery life, which for me is a big concern. I used the G4 for almost an entire day, and I just can't get pass the UX. I'm thinking about having the regular S6 and at least using the full 14 days to see if it's something I'd enjoy for the next 24 months.

I'm thinking worse case scenario I can always sell it in a few months if I don't like it. I'll just use this iPhone as a replacement for my N4 til the fall.

06-11-2015 12:08 AM
    yeah it was definitely nice to see some tangible evidence after years of different projects coming and going. if project volta ever comes to fruition, it combined with doze would really be sick.

BTW 2 things ... a thread that can illicit the range of emotion this one did is successful, 370 is a big number and I enjoyed participating it. I can't imagine what they actually discuss on the Apple sites. It'd be so boring if we didn't have such a diversity and different opinions.

Second, after gloating about how I keep my phones in such great condition (they literally didn't have a single scratch) I managed to shatter both my Nexus 4 and S4 this week.

I'm using am iPhone 5 right now which is torture, and I'm not sure I'll be able to wait all summer til the Note/Nexus/Moto X drop. I'll probably grab the S6 and hopefully be part of the crowd that does get solid battery life, which for me is a big concern. I used the G4 for almost an entire day, and I just can't get pass the UX. I'm thinking about having the regular S6 and at least using the full 14 days to see if it's something I'd enjoy for the next 24 months.

I'm thinking worse case scenario I can always sell it in a few months if I don't like it. I'll just use this iPhone as a replacement for my N4 til the fall.

Sorry for your suffering. The GN5 might be a option but the GS6 isn't bad either. Why suffer when you don't have to. It's not like you're buying a Porsche until the next Ferrari is available.

06-11-2015 08:44 AM
    B-b-b-b-b-b-bad!

06-11-2015 10:37 AM
    B-b-b-b-b-b-bad!

You upstaged my joke about what did one sheep say to the other when they found out about waiting on 5.1.1,

06-11-2015 10:57 AM
395 ... 13141516