06-28-2015 11:16 AM
395 12345 ...
tools
    LG does. Once you use them and are used to the placement, they are pretty decent.
    You should not have to get used to that. It's awkward for me having had three Samsung devices and a number of RIM devices. Should be on the sides for easy access.

The G4 sounds like an overgrown version of the GS5 which thankfully I passed on.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-29-2015 12:26 PM
    You should not have to get used to that. It's awkward for me having had three Samsung devices and a number of RIM devices. Should be on the sides for easy access.

The G4 sounds like an overgrown version of the GS5 which thankfully I passed on.

Then don't get it and don't worry about the buttons.
    04-29-2015 01:42 PM
    Then don't get it and don't worry about the buttons.
    Pretty much...

Are you getting the G4? I didn't see anything with the G4 that would push me away from the GS6, unless they slack on the battery drain issue.
    04-29-2015 01:53 PM
    And as someone pointed out in the comments, the higher screen to body ratio is cancelled out by the on screen navigation buttons on the G4.
    The navigation buttons can be hidden in any screen, which gives you 100% of the screen. This does not make the screen any smaller or less usable, which is why I always find this argument to be silly.

But the G4 has a less impressive screen-to-body ratio than its predecessor, which I found to be slightly disappointing. Although it still beats the S6 and many other phones in this department.
    04-29-2015 03:34 PM
    Pretty much...

Are you getting the G4? I didn't see anything with the G4 that would push me away from the GS6, unless they slack on the battery drain issue.
    Slower processor, slower RAM, no UFS, no fingerprint scanner, no built-in wireless charging, no mobile payment, klunky UI like my GS4. Vegetable tanned leather plastic back. Battery life will be up in the air until we get some reviews but it doesn't bode well when Mophie Juicepack has a larger battery than the stock battery. It does however have a great display and camera.

04-29-2015 03:40 PM
    Slower processor, slower RAM, no UFS, no fingerprint scanner, no built-in wireless charging, no mobile payment, klunky UI like my GS4. Vegetable tanned leather plastic back. Battery life will be up in the air until we get some reviews but it doesn't bode well when Mophie Juicepack has a larger battery than the stock battery. It does however have a great display and camera.

Doesn't mophie have a juicepack that is larger than the S6?
    04-29-2015 04:05 PM
    Doesn't mophie have a juicepack that is larger than the S6?
    Tongue firmly planted in cheek. Sorry. We'll have to wait and see. A power hungry display and an older, slower chipset may negate the larger battery. I just don't get how LG thought a better display and camera would be enough to compete. Samsung by comparison had a rather substantial epiphany.

04-29-2015 04:10 PM
    Tongue firmly planted in cheek. Sorry. We'll have to wait and see. A power hungry display and an older, slower chipset may negate the larger battery. I just don't get how LG thought a better display and camera would be enough to compete. Samsung by comparison had a rather substantial epiphany.

Actually, the word is that the 808 chipset should help with battery (at least compared to the 810). I seriously doubt if the s6 battery that has been so maligned will come close to the larger LG battery.
    04-29-2015 04:40 PM

Slow. Slow is relative. Particularly relative to the demands for speed. A Corvette may be slower than a Ferrari, but if you are driving on the highway, both are plenty fast.
    04-29-2015 04:41 PM
    Slow. Slow is relative. Particularly relative to the demands for speed. A Corvette may be slower than a Ferrari, but if you are driving on the highway, both are plenty fast.
    Tell you what. I'll wave as my Ferrari flies past your Corvette. Exynos 7420 > Snapdragon 810 > Snapdragon 808.

04-29-2015 04:45 PM
    So during your testing you found the Snapdragon 808 to be slower than the Snapdragon 810? Would love to see your data and see how it matches up to mine.
    04-29-2015 04:47 PM
    So during your testing you found the Snapdragon 808 to be slower than the Snapdragon 810? Would love to see your data and see how it matches up to mine.
    Point taken. Walk it back a bit as it is early and early testing I saw recently on one of the other sites in their hands on of a demo unit.

04-29-2015 04:51 PM
    Point taken. Walk it back a bit as it is early and early testing I saw recently on one of the other sites in their hands on of a demo unit.

Bottom line is that I am in for either an LG G4 or a Galaxy S6. Chipset is not going to be the determining factor, screen won't be, battery won't be, sd cards won't be, skin won't be. Camera will be. Just going to have to see what I can glean from reviews between now and June.
    blessedred and QuickStorm like this.
    04-29-2015 04:53 PM
    Bottom line is that I am in for either an LG G4 or a Galaxy S6. Chipset is not going to be the determining factor, screen won't be, battery won't be, sd cards won't be, skin won't be. Camera will be. Just going to have to see what I can glean from reviews between now and June.
    The camera looks pretty good so far. Maybe some more firmware tweaks and you'll be golden.

04-29-2015 04:56 PM
    1) thinness is at the cost of a larger battery, i prefer a slightly "chubbier" phone for the extra 400 mAh
    2) how is storage options given to the S6? G4 has SD which I prefer
    3) themes? who cares ... Nova would get slapped on either device
    4) galaxy gifts. no thank you

both amazing devices, i prefer the aesthetics of the S6, but the removable battery and size would win me over.

and can Phone Arena possibly put any more advertisements on their site???
    04-29-2015 05:08 PM
    There will be aspects where the S6 is better and aspects where the G4 is better. Subjectivity plays the most important part though. I personally could not care less about on-paper specs, so the tech comparisons don't interest me at all.

Seems like they'll both be great phones this year. I am looking forward to the G4 though. Seems like it fixed a few annoyances I have with S6.

Sent from my SM-G920I
    completely agree about not caring about specs on paper ... if that's all that mattered, there'd be no reason to pay attention to reviews or test them out. UX, camera and battery are by far what's most important to me. aesthetics (which most android fans claimed to not care much about until recently) is at the bottom of my list.
    I Can Be Your Hero likes this.
    04-29-2015 05:19 PM
    Tell you what. I'll wave as my Ferrari flies past your Corvette. Exynos 7420 > Snapdragon 810 > Snapdragon 808.

for someone that hasn't even touched the phone you have a lot to say ... we get that you like your S6 and LG isn't for you. doesn't mean it's not a great phone that many will enjoy
    ibcop, blessedred and edgefever like this.
    04-29-2015 05:27 PM
    The camera looks pretty good so far. Maybe some more firmware tweaks and you'll be golden.

Yeah, not so sure yet. I have seen some things that make me skeptical of the G4 camera. The s6 camera has been basically annointed as the best ever on a phone (ok, you lumia lovers, I know, 41mp, etc.) through reviews to date, so I am not discounting that at all yet. The marketing hype on the g4 would have you believe the g4 camera cures cancer, but until we have some comparisions, I am not buying it.
    04-29-2015 05:32 PM

Okay mr expert. Would you please stop being subjective for once? Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.

Posted via the Android Central App
    blessedred likes this.
    04-29-2015 05:36 PM
    The navigation buttons can be hidden in any screen, which gives you 100% of the screen. This does not make the screen any smaller or less usable, which is why I always find this argument to be silly.

But the G4 has a less impressive screen-to-body ratio than its predecessor, which I found to be slightly disappointing. Although it still beats the S6 and many other phones in this department.
    Say I'm in Chrome and I hide the navigation buttons. Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I browse around quickly without the back button? How do I flick to my other app then switch back? I'll need to recall the navigation bar which defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The on screen buttons are fine when they disappear but they surely do eat up a lot of space? I like capacitive buttons actually

danthman likes this.
    04-29-2015 06:16 PM
    Okay mr expert. Would you please stop being subjective for once? Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.

This is a fanboi thread with the aim or goal is to pull on each other's plug and testify or justify their purchase. It is not ment to be taken seriously.

Just look how often the author has been corrected on things that were mentioned, saying oops my mistake or oops tongue in cheek. The best is how he describes that on another phone you'll not only make too many accidental button presses but that you should never have to get used to a new button layout. Yet the S6 has a new button layout as compared to his old phone and the reason why Samsung changed the layout is because of excessive accidental presses.

With that said, the author is a nice guy and just loves his phone like I do. But this thread is not ment to be informative or helpful, just ment to rally the troops of fanbois. So take it in jest and not so seriously.

04-29-2015 06:21 PM
    for someone that hasn't even touched the phone you have a lot to say ... we get that you like your S6 and LG isn't for you. doesn't mean it's not a great phone that many will enjoy
    Never said it was not a great device. I plan on taking a look at when released to see how it,performs in the real world. When someone offers an opinion, you can disagree and refute but don't resort to sarcasm.
    04-29-2015 06:22 PM
    no mobile payment
    I was going to say something totally different, but this struck me as odd... no mobile payment? 1. how many non nerds know what this is? 2. of those, how many don't use Google Wallet already? (Yes I know the extra functionality of the Samsung app, but I would never buy a phone for that reason alone).

So... I guess I'll say what I was going to say:

This thread should be renamed, "How many of phonearena's links can we put in one thread?"
    ibcop and blessedred like this.
    04-29-2015 06:24 PM

From specs perspective, did I mention anything in accurately. Over exuberant? Guilty as charged. Respect for other devices. Yes. Am I or anyone else entitled to an opinion versus a value judgment because you don't agree?
    04-29-2015 06:25 PM
    I was going to say something totally different, but this struck me as odd... no mobile payment? 1. how many non nerds know what this is? 2. of those, how many don't use Google Wallet already? (Yes I know the extra functionality of the Samsung app, but I would never buy a phone for that reason alone).

So... I guess I'll say what I was going to say:

This thread should be renamed, "How many of phonearena's links can we put in one thread?"
    Only because, right or wrong, rumor or confirmed fact, the site get the scoop before AC but I like the AC community more. I guess my opinion all along has been to take an overall view on a device and not condemn it or focus only on one feature. After all, at their heart, they are phones first. Then handheld PC and cameras.
    04-29-2015 06:30 PM
395 12345 ...