10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So during your testing you found the Snapdragon 808 to be slower than the Snapdragon 810? Would love to see your data and see how it matches up to mine.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
So during your testing you found the Snapdragon 808 to be slower than the Snapdragon 810? Would love to see your data and see how it matches up to mine.

Point taken. Walk it back a bit as it is early and early testing I saw recently on one of the other sites in their hands on of a demo unit.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Point taken. Walk it back a bit as it is early and early testing I saw recently on one of the other sites in their hands on of a demo unit.

Bottom line is that I am in for either an LG G4 or a Galaxy S6. Chipset is not going to be the determining factor, screen won't be, battery won't be, sd cards won't be, skin won't be. Camera will be. Just going to have to see what I can glean from reviews between now and June.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is that I am in for either an LG G4 or a Galaxy S6. Chipset is not going to be the determining factor, screen won't be, battery won't be, sd cards won't be, skin won't be. Camera will be. Just going to have to see what I can glean from reviews between now and June.

The camera looks pretty good so far. Maybe some more firmware tweaks and you'll be golden.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
1) thinness is at the cost of a larger battery, i prefer a slightly "chubbier" phone for the extra 400 mAh
2) how is storage options given to the S6? G4 has SD which I prefer
3) themes? who cares ... Nova would get slapped on either device
4) galaxy gifts. no thank you

both amazing devices, i prefer the aesthetics of the S6, but the removable battery and size would win me over.

and can Phone Arena possibly put any more advertisements on their site???

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
There will be aspects where the S6 is better and aspects where the G4 is better. Subjectivity plays the most important part though. I personally could not care less about on-paper specs, so the tech comparisons don't interest me at all.

Seems like they'll both be great phones this year. I am looking forward to the G4 though. Seems like it fixed a few annoyances I have with S6.

Sent from my SM-G920I

completely agree about not caring about specs on paper ... if that's all that mattered, there'd be no reason to pay attention to reviews or test them out. UX, camera and battery are by far what's most important to me. aesthetics (which most android fans claimed to not care much about until recently) is at the bottom of my list.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Tell you what. I'll wave as my Ferrari flies past your Corvette. Exynos 7420 > Snapdragon 810 > Snapdragon 808.

for someone that hasn't even touched the phone you have a lot to say ... we get that you like your S6 and LG isn't for you. doesn't mean it's not a great phone that many will enjoy

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The camera looks pretty good so far. Maybe some more firmware tweaks and you'll be golden.

Yeah, not so sure yet. I have seen some things that make me skeptical of the G4 camera. The s6 camera has been basically annointed as the best ever on a phone (ok, you lumia lovers, I know, 41mp, etc.) through reviews to date, so I am not discounting that at all yet. The marketing hype on the g4 would have you believe the g4 camera cures cancer, but until we have some comparisions, I am not buying it.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Slower processor, slower RAM, no UFS, no fingerprint scanner, no built-in wireless charging, no mobile payment, klunky UI like my GS4. Vegetable tanned leather plastic back. Battery life will be up in the air until we get some reviews but it doesn't bode well when Mophie Juicepack has a larger battery than the stock battery. It does however have a great display and camera.

Okay mr expert. Would you please stop being subjective for once? Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The navigation buttons can be hidden in any screen, which gives you 100% of the screen. This does not make the screen any smaller or less usable, which is why I always find this argument to be silly.

But the G4 has a less impressive screen-to-body ratio than its predecessor, which I found to be slightly disappointing. Although it still beats the S6 and many other phones in this department.

Say I'm in Chrome and I hide the navigation buttons. Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I browse around quickly without the back button? How do I flick to my other app then switch back? I'll need to recall the navigation bar which defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The on screen buttons are fine when they disappear but they surely do eat up a lot of space? I like capacitive buttons actually

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay mr expert. Would you please stop being subjective for once? Every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.

This is a fanboi thread with the aim or goal is to pull on each other's plug and testify or justify their purchase. It is not ment to be taken seriously.

Just look how often the author has been corrected on things that were mentioned, saying oops my mistake or oops tongue in cheek. The best is how he describes that on another phone you'll not only make too many accidental button presses but that you should never have to get used to a new button layout. Yet the S6 has a new button layout as compared to his old phone and the reason why Samsung changed the layout is because of excessive accidental presses.

With that said, the author is a nice guy and just loves his phone like I do. But this thread is not ment to be informative or helpful, just ment to rally the troops of fanbois. So take it in jest and not so seriously.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
for someone that hasn't even touched the phone you have a lot to say ... we get that you like your S6 and LG isn't for you. doesn't mean it's not a great phone that many will enjoy
Never said it was not a great device. I plan on taking a look at when released to see how it,performs in the real world. When someone offers an opinion, you can disagree and refute but don't resort to sarcasm.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
no mobile payment

I was going to say something totally different, but this struck me as odd... no mobile payment? 1. how many non nerds know what this is? 2. of those, how many don't use Google Wallet already? (Yes I know the extra functionality of the Samsung app, but I would never buy a phone for that reason alone).

So... I guess I'll say what I was going to say:

This thread should be renamed, "How many of phonearena's links can we put in one thread?"

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

From specs perspective, did I mention anything in accurately. Over exuberant? Guilty as charged. Respect for other devices. Yes. Am I or anyone else entitled to an opinion versus a value judgment because you don't agree?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was going to say something totally different, but this struck me as odd... no mobile payment? 1. how many non nerds know what this is? 2. of those, how many don't use Google Wallet already? (Yes I know the extra functionality of the Samsung app, but I would never buy a phone for that reason alone).

So... I guess I'll say what I was going to say:

This thread should be renamed, "How many of phonearena's links can we put in one thread?"
Only because, right or wrong, rumor or confirmed fact, the site get the scoop before AC but I like the AC community more. I guess my opinion all along has been to take an overall view on a device and not condemn it or focus only on one feature. After all, at their heart, they are phones first. Then handheld PC and cameras.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much...

Are you getting the G4? I didn't see anything with the G4 that would push me away from the GS6, unless they slack on the battery drain issue.

I'm giving it a serious look. I've waited this long and since the wife already has a S6, I don't really see anything special with it to make it my daily driver. After I see the G4 and can get hands on, I'll decide on one. I really, really hate this S5.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm giving it a serious look. I've waited this long and since the wife already has a S6, I don't really see anything special with it to make it my daily driver. After I see the G4 and can get hands on, I'll decide on one. I really, really hate this S5.
Don't blame you. I passed on the GS5.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's okay but after Lollipop, it freezes a lot. Like a few times a day. I've done two factory wipes after the update too.

I assume you are taking about your wife's GS4. My wife had some battery life issues but I made some settings changes and they went away. No freezes on her phone. I have been very fortunate to have not been affected by some of the issues documented in this forum.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It's okay but after Lollipop, it freezes a lot. Like a few times a day. I've done two factory wipes after the update too.

That's odd. My S5 (Verizon) worked fine after Lollipop. I did do a factory reset just in case, but I had no issues after the update.

The S5 was a good phone. A bit big, esp with the wireless charging back.

I had no reason to upgrade, but I got the S6 anyway, because I love the latest phone tech. Also, the fingerprint sensor is much better on the S6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol