10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Nah, in this example other than focus speed the rear camera on the s6 was clearly better. If you can't see that, that is fine, but I could. As you say, g4 also has the manual mode and raw, but there are rumors that the s6 may get raw and improved manual mode which could put it above g4 in anything other than laser focus.

I am speculating too much- this guy could have a bad unit, or early software, etc. Will have to wait for reviews when the g4 actually ships.
I can't see that because I'm looking at the photos on my smartphone lol

I'm not in to taking photos myself, so a serviceable one suits me fine. From what I can see, these are two stellar cameras

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
One of the great things I like about these forums is the diversity of device brand/carrier/ feature preferences and knowledge. I must be in the distinct minority of those who evaluate a purchase a device on an overall function and performance perspective especially given the increasing device and accessory costs. I don't just focus on just the battery or just the camera. While this are important factors to me, they are far down the list behind speed and performance of the device itself. I look at the hardware driving that performance as well as the optimization of the software that drives the hardware. Has the OEM used a better, more efficient chipset and display. Has the UI been optimized and how easy it is to use. Have they improved the camera. How is the battery life? Is it clear that these companies are listening to customers? While all companies make compromises in design choices and functionality, Samsung included, it seems like HTC and LG have assumed that past key features with incremental improvements and improving only a couple of aspects will be enough to compete.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One of the great things I like about these forums is the diversity of device brand/carrier/ feature preferences and knowledge. I must be in the distinct minority of those who evaluate a purchase a device on an overall function and performance perspective especially given the increasing device and accessory costs. I don't just focus on just the battery or just the camera. While this are important factors to me, they are far down the list behind speed and performance of the device itself. I look at the hardware driving that performance as well as the optimization of the software that drives the hardware. Has the OEM used a better, more efficient chipset and display. Has the UI been optimized and how easy it is to use. Have they improved the camera. How is the battery life? Is it clear that these companies are listening to customers? While all companies make compromises in design choices and functionality, Samsung included, it seems like HTC and LG have assumed that past key features with incremental improvements and improving only a couple of aspects will be enough to compete.

Yeah I would say you are one of the select few. Example ...I don't care if a phone was super fast and performed well if the camera sucked and when I went to take a picture it always looked like crap. Moments with friends and family capture in good quality > my phone loading my app 1 second faster than another phones.

Now not saying I wouldn't want it to perform well but I would want both factors to make it a good phone for me. Battery isn't a huge concern for me but that is because I am around chargers a lot more than some people .. but you have to be fair to those who aren't around chargers a ton. If I traveled a ton (airport to airport) a good battery could mean a lot rather than trying to find a wall to hug.

Everyone has different needs :).

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm a total camera geek, but screen size/form is the more important factor. Even if the G4 camera was leaps and bounds better, I'd still stick with the S6.

The most important factor is Android.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would say you are one of the select few. Example ...I don't care if a phone was super fast and performed well if the camera sucked and when I went to take a picture it always looked like crap. Moments with friends and family capture in good quality > my phone loading my app 1 second faster than another phones.

Now not saying I wouldn't want it to perform well but I would want both factors to make it a good phone for me. Battery isn't a huge concern for me but that is because I am around chargers a lot more than some people .. but you have to be fair to those who aren't around chargers a ton. If I traveled a ton (airport to airport) a good battery could mean a lot rather than trying to find a wall to hug.

Everyone has different needs :).

Power banks mean not wall hugging. I wouldn't necessarily trade speed and performance for a quality camera but I am willing to trade off no card slot and a smaller battery for it. Samsung owners were very lucky to get speed and performance and a quality camera in exchange. For some of,us who other financial and familial responsibilities where money is important, getting the most value is more critical to some than others.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Power banks mean not wall hugging. I wouldn't necessarily trade speed and performance for a quality camera but I am willing to trade off no card slot and a smaller battery for it. Samsung owners were very lucky to get speed and performance and a quality camera in exchange. For some of,us who other financial and familial responsibilities where money is important, getting the most value is more critical to some than others.

Technically yes -- but some may not want a power bank. As I said .. it depends on the person. Some may hate them so it may vary for them.

Also everyone has bills so not sure what your last comment meant. I have a mortgage, house bills, etc. to pay .. but I still want a good phone with a good camera. Just because you don't find it important doesn't mean it isn't for me.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Technically yes -- but some may not want a power bank. As I said .. it depends on the person. Some may hate them so it may vary for them.

Also everyone has bills so not sure what your last comment meant. I have a mortgage, house bills, etc. to pay .. but I still want a good phone with a good camera. Just because you don't find it important doesn't mean it isn't for me.
Please allow me to clarify. My overall perspective toward speed and performance of all the features of the device involves getting the most for your money precisely because the cost is only going higher. With my purchase, I didn't just focus just on the camera or just on the battery. Just because a device has a really good camera but everything else is status quo from last years device, it's not likely to make me part with the money to buy a device. With GS6, I was willing to give up the card and battery for premium materials, speed, performance and features.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Please allow me to clarify. My overall perspective toward speed and performance of all the features of the device involves getting the most for your money precisely because the cost is only going higher. With my purchase, I didn't just focus just on the camera or just on the battery. Just because a device has a really good camera but everything else is status quo from last years device, it's not likely to make me part with the money to buy a device. With GS6, I was willing to give up the card and battery for premium materials, speed, performance and features.

The only thing premium about glass is that it breaks and is expensive to replace.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
"Taken as a whole, the G4 is an impressive entrant to this year's Android race, but it just can't match the S6's total package."

LG G4 (Unlocked) Preview | PCMag.com

Eh, kind of a weak review. Basically comes down to a guy who thinks samsung's physical form is better and want's to compare a phone based on specs. I haven't held the g4 yet but I doubt that I would agree regarding the physical form. The s6 felt uncomfortable to hold, the camera bump extends too far, they dropped sd card and battery swapping (and I bet most of the same samsung diehards that are saying the new design is great criticized all other phones that didn't have this option last year) and the material choice for the back makes me worry about breakage with no discrenable benefit. Meanwhile, Android Central editors are saying the g4 feels fantastic in hand, runs as fast in real life use and does offer the SD/swappable battery.

I may end up with the s6 but not based on anything PCMAG has to say.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The killer feature of the S6 for me was that, when I needed a new phone, it was available.

If I were looking for a new phone today, though, I'd definitely give the G4 a serious look. I'd probably lean toward the S6 because I frequently use my phone one-handed, but LG has certainly kept things interesting with it's redesign. Competition is good.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The killer feature of the S6 for me was that, when I needed a new phone, it was available.

If I were looking for a new phone today, though, I'd definitely give the G4 a serious look. I'd probably lean toward the S6 because I frequently use my phone one-handed, but LG has certainly kept things interesting with it's redesign. Competition is good.

The G4 has a great display and camera as well as possibly a pretty good processor. DDR3 RAM vs DDR4 RAM. No UFS 2.0. Lacks built in wireless charging. Lacks mobile payment system. Lacks fingerprint scanner. Doesn't appear to support Qualcomm 2amp quick charging. Lacks premium materials. Vegetable tanned leather on a plastic back cover doesn't count.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The G4 has a great display and camera as well as possibly a pretty good processor. DDR3 RAM vs DDR4 RAM. No UFS 2.0. Lacks built in wireless charging. Lacks mobile payment system. Lacks fingerprint scanner. Doesn't appear to support Qualcomm 2amp quick charging. Lacks premium materials. Vegetable tanned leather on a plastic back cover doesn't count.

leather doesn't count but glass does? I respect your opinion, but at least be fair about it. personally, a removable battery trumps many of the S6 features. I'll wait till I hold the G4 before deciding, but I'm not gonna give props to the S6 build, then say leather doesn't count.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
leather doesn't count but glass does? I respect your opinion, but at least be fair about it. personally, a removable battery trumps many of the S6 features. I'll wait till I hold the G4 before deciding, but I'm not gonna give props to the S6 build, then say leather doesn't count.

While I agree on being fair .. you have to be fair that some may not care about removable (Such as me). Is it convenient? Absolutley -- Needed? For me No .. for some? Sure.

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Double click to launch camera, built in wireless charging, fingerprint scanner, and beautiful design makes the S6 the winner to me.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

The G4, on paper, has a better battery story. It's larger and removable. Whether the greater capacity translates to longer battery life (given processor and screen technology differences) is an open question, but I think the odds are in the G4's favor.

The S6, however, has a battery charging story, offering quick charging and wireless charging out of the box.

Regarding premium materials, I think leather qualifies. I'm not sure the G4's other (plastic) options do, though. As for the S6, I think few would argue that the S6's glass and metal has a more premium look and feel than the plastic on previous Galaxies, but given how slippery it is and how much the camera sticks out, it's just begging for a case.

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Are we yet seeing noticeable benefits of DDR4 and UFS 2.0, especially when so many reviewers noticed lag and frame drops on the S6, and apps closing/refreshing when switching? These are basics. I'm skeptical. The ufs 2.0 sounds interesting but I want to see benefits. There will be no benefits in watching your media for instance - slightly faster storage makes no difference. I'd bet money a properly optimised os/skin will outperform these small hardware updates. Apple do it year upon year with less capable hardware. The G4 isn't out so don't jump to conclusions

Fingerprint scanner and mobile payments are nice features but not key features that would sell a phone to me. Some would say removable battery and expandable storage ARE key features that are infinitely more useful.

I think lg use 1.8A anyway? I here it charges quick. Wireless charging would have been great, yes

Premium materials? Didn't you own several previous Samsung phones which all felt kinda cheap and nasty in my opinion. How is glass more premium than leather? It's apples and oranges. The AC team seem to really like the leather and feel it's premium.