10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love the physical home button, and only "like" the capacitive buttons. I find that sometimes when you go to hold the phone sideways/landscape, you have to hold the phone on the rim and not let your finger/thumb touch one of the capacitive buttons. Not a huge deal, but it does mess me up every once in a while ... and when you hand your phone to someone else to take a pic of you and your wife and/or kids - and that person is not used to those buttons being there - what almost always happens is they look at you and say "uh oh ... I think I messed something up" ... meaning, they probably hit the "back" button and the camera turned off LOL.

That said, the physical fingerprint scanner home button is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it at all. I also think that while those physical buttons take up some room that might have possibly been able to be more screen size/space, or make the phone shorter by eliminating that space, it's a good trade-off for me. I find the S6 to be perfect size (it's just a TINY bit taller than my S4) ... and the screen size is more than adequate for me.

As for cameras, I find that my S4 took pictures that were plenty good enough for me - at least quality wise. The big improvement I would like to see is good optical zoom. That's the biggest hurdle I think smartphones have to overcome, since (from the little I know) that would take a "thicker" lens set or arrangement to get a stronger true optical zoom ... and then we end up with even thicker phone bumps on the back of our phones.

In the end, I will admit that while I love the thinness of the S6, and the quality of the camera, I would have probably been happier with a slightly lesser camera and a thicker phone (with bigger battery) so that the phone was perfectly flat on the back. To ME, that would have been the best thing ever. I love running phones w/out cases, and am "afraid" to run my S6 w/out a case strictly because of the huge camera bump on the back.

The fact that the back of the phone is glass doesn't help that either, but I get the reason - wireless charging. It's just w/ the glass back, and the camera bump, I feel like the phone is going to be too easily knocked around and broken. If it would at least lay flat (like my iPhone 4S did, with a glass back), I would feel MUCH more at ease w/ running the phone w/out a case. I did that for a couple of years and never had an issue with a glass back.

I agree with the physical home button, especially with the fingerprint scanner. it amazes me that so many people prefer on screen instead. looks wise, I'd agree, but in terms of functionality and feel, I love having a home button

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the physical home button, especially with the fingerprint scanner. it amazes me that so many people prefer on screen instead. looks wise, I'd agree, but in terms of functionality and feel, I love having a home button

Same. After being away from no "home" button for a very long time, coming back to it is a breathe of fresh air. The fact that it includes the fingerprint scanner AND takes no realestate from the screen makes me very pleased and prefer physical over on-screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm one who strongly prefers on screen - to the point where I don't consider one with physical buttons a viable purchase option. I get the appeal of them, I just can't go back.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
now it'll be that it's not included. what's hysterical is in 12 months, all the S6 owners are gonna pay $45 for a replacement battery, or just get a new phone. meanwhile G4 owners will simply throw in a $15 fresh battery, and in 30 seconds, good as new.

I'm not falling for the "energy efficient" marketing strategy. then again, I plan on getting 3 years out of my next device. if my phones only last 6-12 months, is consider the S6, but 2+ years, not a chance.

Where do you have information about everyone's batteries dying after 12 months of use and they absolutely have to get them replaced? I haven't ever heard of this.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Coming from the Xperia Z3 which has on-screen, it really isn't much of a difference to me except for the visual appeal. Both function the same and have the same purpose.

I know some people feel more secure with a physical home button in case of software crashes, where the screen freezes up and you can't even press anything on-screen, even the buttons

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
but your OK with either having to spend $45 for a replacement or buy a new phone in 12 months cause your battery is dead?

Because you know for a fact I'll have battery issues in 12 months? I think someone is a little too in love with his LG phone he doesn't have yet and wants so badly for it to be better than the S6 for some reason.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Where do you have information about everyone's batteries dying after 12 months of use and they absolutely have to get them replaced? I haven't ever heard of this.

Agree with this 100%. He makes it sound like after 12 months a battery magically just dies completely. I've had phone 2-3 years of heavy use and not noticed enough battery degradation to seek out replacing it. Why would newer batteries be different?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm one who strongly prefers on screen - to the point where I don't consider one with physical buttons a viable purchase option. I get the appeal of them, I just can't go back.

Cool for you. Don't like sacrificing screen real estate having come many eons ago from RIM devices with those tiny screens.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
"it will affect the total life you get out of the G4"

that's a bit misleading (not that u meant it to be). it will affect the total life you get out of the battery, not the G4. replaceable battery is a big deal as most consumers won't know they can replace their battery via Samsung for $45, they just get a new phone, possibly not even knowing it's just a battery issue ... the sales rep sure as hell isn't gonna tell the truth.

$15 and 30 seconds, G4 is as good as new

Replaceable batteries will only matter to those,who I have never seen in all my years in the corporate business arena and traveling through airports. Even if by happenstance, years down the road, I still have the GS6, I know that rapid charging, wireless charging and oowerbanks will still be an option over two years from now based upon past experience. Battery replacement argument is a total non-starter.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Assuming I haven't upgraded to the GS7, twelve months from now, I will still be enjoying how well my battery is doing, having tap n go/MST mobile payment formats which, oh I forgot need a fingerprint scanner. I will also enjoy double tapping my physical home button to access an awesome camera in less than a second. I'll also be saving money on not having to buy leather or hyper glazed plastic back covers and wireless charging back cover.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Li ion batteries won't die after a year normally. Sure if you are running benchmarks 24/7 for a year... Maybe. But under normal usage? No.

The only phone that I even noticed a substantial decrease in battery life after a year was the note 3 and that was because I was really pushing the phone to get 5 terabytes in a month. The phone ran really hot, uncomfortable to touch, for a long time.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Li ion batteries won't die after a year normally. Sure if you are running benchmarks 24/7 for a year... Maybe. But under normal usage? No.

The only phone that I even noticed a substantial decrease in battery life after a year was the note 3 and that was because I was really pushing the phone to get 5 terabytes in a month. The phone ran really hot, uncomfortable to touch, for a long time.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
5 TB of what?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

it's an assumption. I just feel that with quick charge, and a small battery, it's inevitable. that said, I'll be the first person to admit I'm wrong if/when 12 months comes and original S6 owners aren't experiencing battery degradation.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because you know for a fact I'll have battery issues in 12 months? I think someone is a little too in love with his LG phone he doesn't have yet and wants so badly for it to be better than the S6 for some reason.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

no, i definitely don't know that for a fact, and i don't know why you'd be so offended simply by somebody's opinion. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll be first in line to admit I was wrong if and when that happens. I've recommended the S6 to family so obviously I think highly of it.

if u look at my post history, you'll see that I've never used the word "fanboy" and I'm not biased. I'm a Samsung owner, and I love the S6, but if I wanted it, I'd have it by now. why wouldn't I want the G4 to be "better" than the S6? I hope every flagship is better than the previous device, don't you? does that mean you hope it's worse?

my plan is to keep my next phone for 3 years minimum, so I think it's understandable that I wouldn't sign up for a sealed battery that small. after the moto x comes out, and we start to hear rumors about the 2015 Nexus, I'll decide on my upgrade then. chances are I won't get the G4. it's really nice, and I prefer a removable battery, but I'm definitely not in love with it.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Replaceable batteries will only matter to those,who I have never seen in all my years in the corporate business arena and traveling through airports. Even if by happenstance, years down the road, I still have the GS6, I know that rapid charging, wireless charging and oowerbanks will still be an option over two years from now based upon past experience. Battery replacement argument is a total non-starter.

for you, but I replace mine almost every day and love the option. I'm glad it's not an issue for you, if it was obviously you wouldn't have purchased it.

what I don't get though is how offended some people get simply by someone else starting their opinion. it's not isolated to the S6, it's across the board. these are phones, and we all love android cause of options. some devices we like, others we don't, but at least we're not all sheep that take what's given to us. I'd think as Android fans more people would welcome difference of opinions instead of getting so offended. and it's tough to get someone's true feeling online, so maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Assuming I haven't upgraded to the GS7, twelve months from now, I will still be enjoying how well my battery is doing, having tap n go/MST mobile payment formats which, oh I forgot need a fingerprint scanner. I will also enjoy double tapping my physical home button to access an awesome camera in less than a second. I'll also be saving money on not having to buy leather or hyper glazed plastic back covers and wireless charging back cover.

man you really get defensive when anybody even slightly criticizes your phone. then u just take an unsolicited shot at a phone you've never even touched. lol ... I get it, but it's getting harder and harder to take your opinions seriously as you can sometimes come across as hypocritical.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
man you really get defensive when anybody even slightly criticizes your phone. then u just take an unsolicited shot at a phone you've never even touched. hopefully you'll at least admit to that, I mean, you seem to jump down people's throats for certain things, then you turn around and do it yourself.

Very much in agreement.

S6 Edge 64GB