Well now that Textra is charging I'm going back stock/Hangouts

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here is another option: Google Play Rewards. Save up the paid responses until you get the $1.

THIS... I forgot about this one. If you don't want to pay the $1 out of your own pocket, answer a few questions about cat food or cable channels and earn the buck that way.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow people complain to pay 99 cents for an app and justify not paying with some crap logic.

God save the devs..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Really?!? Charging for what? What does the premium version include?

They should make it free for those who had it for over 1 year
It is to remove ads. Believe it or not, devs have to eat too. Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK, it is fully functional without paying. So if you can't afford to pay $1 for an app that you use frequently on your $600 phone but are annoyed by ads then so be it. Go use some other app.

I frequently financially support apps that I use frequently,and see no problem with it. Wanting high quality apps for free without ads is unreasonable, imo.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It is to remove ads. Believe it or not, devs have to eat too. Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK, it is fully functional without paying. So if you can't afford to pay $1 for an app that you use frequently on your $600 phone but are annoyed by ads then so be it. Go use some other app.

If its only .99 Cents I dont see the big deal about it....I'd probably pay if it was $1.99

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If its only .99 Cents I dont see the big deal about it....I'd probably pay if it was $1.99

Why the change of heart? Perhaps it can be used to help convince others. Btw, I am assuming that you knew the price because it was pointed out that the cost is 99 cents not once, not twice, but three times before you posted,and it was even in the three posts right before yours.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'll be paying for the Premium version when it comes out. I absolutely love this app because it does everything I want an SMS app to do and I'll gladly support the dev :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why the change of heart? Perhaps it can be used to help convince others. Btw, I am assuming that you knew the price because it was pointed out that the cost is 99 cents not once, not twice, but three times before you posted,and it was even in the three posts right before yours.

When did I say I wouldnt pay .99 Cents?
All I was asking was what they were charging for
My comment on "make it free for those who had for over 1 year" was just to be fair for those who would be upset about it
I pay for a lot of apps I do not mind paying for developers work

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When did I say I wouldnt pay .99 Cents?
All I was asking was what they were charging for
My comment on "make it free for those who had for over 1 year" was just to be fair for those who would be upset about it
I pay for a lot of apps I do not mind paying for developers work

It was the tone of your voice. You were clearly against charging, at least for the long time users.

Seriously? Fair to those who would be upset? Give me a break. There will always be those who think that they are entitled to everything on a silver platter. But a reasonable person would understand that the dev was pushing hard to make a good product while not making any money. Which is fine while the app is being developed, but once finalized, it makes sense that he adds ads with a nominal cost to remove them.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It was the tone of your voice. You were clearly against charging, at least for the long time users.

Seriously? Fair to those who would be upset? Give me a break. There will always be those who think that they are entitled to everything on a silver platter. But a reasonable person would understand that the dev was pushing hard to make a good product while not making any money. Which is fine while the app is being developed, but once finalized, it makes sense that he adds ads with a nominal cost to remove them.

I was just surprised that they decided to charge ALL OF A SUDDEN when it had been free ever since it was launched...but I'm not against them charging, especially if its .99 cents
And even the fact that its just for ads makes even less of a burden to pay the .99 cents
I didn't know what they were charging for which is why I asked. Now that I know its just for ads I could care less
I'm all for and have always been for supporting developers...don't get me wrong

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just surprised that they decided to charge ALL OF A SUDDEN when it had been free ever since it was launched...but I'm not against them charging, especially if its .99 cents
And even the fact that its just for ads makes even less of a burden to pay the .99 cents
I didn't know what they were charging for which is why I asked. Now that I know its just for ads I could care less
I'm all for and have always been for supporting developers...don't get me wrong

Technically they have to do it on an "all of a sudden" basis since they don't have users visiting their site frequently... so a change in the app within the app store is a good way to communicate that since most will see the update.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Technically they have to do it on an "all of a sudden" basis since they don't have users visiting their site frequently... so a change in the app within the app store is a good way to communicate that since most will see the update.

Well atleast they are still keeping it free in some sort of way. I'll pay the 99 cents because I do use the app a lot, and yeah its good they are giving notice by means of in-app purchase

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Textra is fantastic, but I'm surprised more people don't use MySMS. Not only free, but syncs to multiple devices. I have it on my tablet and I have the Windows8 app on my laptop (pinned to taskbar). I can text from whatever device I'm using and it clears notifications on all devices.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I went back to Textra because now the stock text app is frustrating me with how slow it opens pics! I can't win lol. I may have to bite the bullet and pay because I'm just not finding anything better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went back to Textra because now the stock text app is frustrating me with how slow it opens pics! I can't win lol. I may have to bite the bullet and pay because I'm just not finding anything better.

Yeah the stock app for Samsung has always been bad (in my opinion). It can't handle mass amounts of stuff and even basic things (like pictures) it is slow on.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Yes, just pay the guys a dollar sheesh...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Kalvin do you do the Google Opinion Rewards? My buddy downloaded it today -- set it up -- got a survey in like 15 minutes .. answered a question or two and got a $1 credit to his account from Google. That could be your $1 to Textra :).

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the stock app for Samsung has always been bad (in my opinion). It can't handle mass amounts of stuff and even basic things (like pictures) it is slow on.

Yeah, but it is better than last year's version and looks much more professional than any others imo, but I may can't handle the lag.