So i ran into a issue last night that could be a big problem for me down the road. I recorded a 15 sec video clip on my son saying something cute. I tried to text it to my sister (who has an iPhone) but it wouldnt attach. It said file is too large. a 15 sec video is too large??? It wasnt even on the highest setting (4K). It was on the default HD. I went into the details of the video and it was 29mb. Luckily I still have my iPhone 6 so I grabbed that, recorded my son again (of course it wasnt as good as the first time) and sent it to my sister via iMessage with no issue at all.

This may seem like a minor thing to some but the fact I cant text a 15 sec video clip to my family is ridiculous. I couldnt even email it. I love my S6 for the most part but for little things like this I can see why people prefer iOS. So my question, Is there a way to compress a video to send it via text? Am I doing something wrong? I did this all the time with my iPhone not only to other iPhone users but users on other platforms as well.
    04-29-2015 09:46 AM
    from what I recall on iOS you have the option to record it upfront in MMS compatible size (horrible quality).

If you are using the stock texting app on the s6 and you try to attach a file that is too large, it will ask you to compress it and it will come out in horrible quality. Another way is to go into camera settings and try recording at the lowest possible video quality and see if it's still too large.
    04-29-2015 09:53 AM
    FWIW For any video that I want to send to anyone and have it be in quality that they would actually want to see I use a cloud service (Google Drive). Take the video, upload to drive and then send them the link.
    04-29-2015 09:57 AM
    So i ran into a issue last night that could be a big problem for me down the road. I recorded a 15 sec video clip on my son saying something cute. I tried to text it to my sister (who has an iPhone) but it wouldnt attach. It said file is too large. a 15 sec video is too large??? It wasnt even on the highest setting (4K). It was on the default HD. I went into the details of the video and it was 29mb. Luckily I still have my iPhone 6 so I grabbed that, recorded my son again (of course it wasnt as good as the first time) and sent it to my sister via iMessage with no issue at all.

This may seem like a minor thing to some but the fact I cant text a 15 sec video clip to my family is ridiculous. I couldnt even email it. I love my S6 for the most part but for little things like this I can see why people prefer iOS. So my question, Is there a way to compress a video to send it via text? Am I doing something wrong? I did this all the time with my iPhone not only to other iPhone users but users on other platforms as well.
    Yeah I went from an iPhone to my Note 3 and I noticed the same problem. I would say it's my single biggest complaint with Android and a valid reason to stay worth iPhone. There's no resolution.

The way it's like this is because Apple controls what you send on there phones while the carriers control Android, plain and simple add it pisses me off to no end. It really does ruin an otherwise topnotch Android experience.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-29-2015 10:08 AM
    Do you not see this option?
    Attached Thumbnails Send video clip via text problems-1430316845028.jpg  
    04-29-2015 10:14 AM
    a 15 sec video is too large??? It wasnt even on the highest setting (4K). It was on the default HD. I went into the details of the video and it was 29mb.
    I am asked about this all the time by my wife and friends. The length of the video is immaterial. The fact that it was 29mb and the max MMS size is typically 2mb means yes, the file is too large. You're talking about sending a 1080p video over lines that were originally set up to handle 320 x 240 clips. 29mb is too large for most email systems as well.

When you send it over iMessage, it's a purely data connection, and the max file size either doesn't apply or is much larger than 29mb (I'm not up on the ins and outs of iMessage). It's not like you can send a 29mb video clip over MMS just because you're using an iPhone.

The easiest thing to do is, assuming you and the recipient have Facebook, is to upload it to Facebook Messenger. Alternately, upload it to Dropbox or OneNote or Google Photo and share the link (at least one of those should be backing up your photos anyway).

I'm trying to get my wife to use Facebook Messenger and stop sending compressed pictures over MMS to her friends, but old habits die hard, I guess.
    04-29-2015 10:24 AM
    When you send it over iMessage, it's a purely data connection, and the max file size either doesn't apply or is much larger than 29mb (I'm not up on the ins and outs of iMessage)
    iMessage will not let you send the large video file either...it compresses it to an unwatchable(IMO) quality, just like any other messaging service.

BTW - are you guys not reading my previous replies ?
    20blks likes this.
    04-29-2015 10:30 AM
    from what I recall on iOS you have the option to record it upfront in MMS compatible size (horrible quality).

If you are using the stock texting app on the s6 and you try to attach a file that is too large, it will ask you to compress it and it will come out in horrible quality. Another way is to go into camera settings and try recording at the lowest possible video quality and see if it's still too large.
    I see what you're saying but I disagree about the horrible quality. I used to send and receive video clips through iMessage all the time and the quality was just fine.
    04-29-2015 10:42 AM
    Yeah I went from an iPhone to my Note 3 and I noticed the same problem. I would say it's my single biggest complaint with Android and a valid reason to stay worth iPhone. There's no resolution.

The way it's like this is because Apple controls what you send on there phones while the carriers control Android, plain and simple add it pisses me off to no end. It really does ruin an otherwise topnotch Android experience.

Couldnt agree more. This issue is damaging an otherwise great Android experience for me. Its a shame really.
    04-29-2015 10:44 AM
    Lol. The video quality of those files are HORRIBLE on iPhones. Just share it through a cloud service and the recipient can enjoy the video in its original quality
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-29-2015 12:30 PM
    So frustrating as we shouldn't have to upload to a server. I want my family members to experience my moments with my son, immediately not in a while... My son walked for the first time today and I got conned into a Samsung when my entire family is iPhone (they failed to include the compression issues when upgrading recently) I've had to share the videos on messenger as I can't even send them as a message... I'm taking this phone back in tomorrow as I'm not happy and I was sold the incorrect phone most compatible with my family which they failed ti mention would be an issue...
    07-14-2015 11:50 AM
    So frustrating as we shouldn't have to upload to a server. I want my family members to experience my moments with my son, immediately not in a while... My son walked for the first time today and I got conned into a Samsung when my entire family is iPhone (they failed to include the compression issues when upgrading recently) I've had to share the videos on messenger as I can't even send them as a message... I'm taking this phone back in tomorrow as I'm not happy and I was sold the incorrect phone most compatible with my family which they failed ti mention would be an issue...
    Sadly it is a carrier issue.
    07-14-2015 11:58 AM
    Sadly it is a carrier issue.
    Truth! You would think this would be an easy problem to solve and one high on the priority list, especially with cameras on every single phone they sell.

That being said sending a video through imessage is essentially the same as uploading the clip to a cloud service. The only differnce being the extra steps of telling the service to upload the video and then sending the video link. Imessage just uploads the clip to its cloud and sends the link which appears as a video preview image. Then it downloads and plays for the recipient.

I agree that the imessage model is easier, but the benifit of using a cloud service is that it will show the video in its native resolution.

07-14-2015 05:30 PM
    Turn on enhanced mms in the messaging settings. Been sending videos of my son to my mom without issue.

07-14-2015 06:14 PM
    If you go into the messaging plus, go to the recipient, got to the conversation, hit the +, go to videos, hit camcorder and record a video. You can send one that way. It is really inconvenient in your case since your kids are being cute But for those of us who are use to sending a video rather than a long text it works well enough.
    07-30-2015 06:48 PM
    A friend of mine sent me a video through iMessage to my Android and the quality was terrible. I viewed it on his iPhone and it looked great. It was a video of me catching a white marlin, so I want a something watchable. This tells me that iMessage compresses video as well. Really, imo, the best way for everybody, if it's a video you wish to keep, is to upload it and send a link from Dropbox, Drive, etc. This insures you get quality video every time.

20blks likes this.
    08-01-2015 06:28 AM
    I've got most of my family to use Google Photos. Just about everyone in my family has iPhone's. So I just share via that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    08-01-2015 08:16 AM
    A friend of mine sent me a video through iMessage to my Android and the quality was terrible. I viewed it on his iPhone and it looked great. It was a video of me catching a white marlin, so I want a something watchable. This tells me that iMessage compresses video as well. Really, imo, the best way for everybody, if it's a video you wish to keep, is to upload it and send a link from Dropbox, Drive, etc. This insures you get quality video every time.

iMessage only works on Apple devices. If he sends something to your Android phone, it will change to a regular compressed MMS. That's why the quality was so poor. IPhone to iPhone, iMessage videos look pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    08-01-2015 12:20 PM
    It all makes sense. You can't send a high quality video through mms. The file size is just 2 big
    08-01-2015 03:08 PM
    How I don't have that option
    04-27-2016 12:09 AM

You can upload it the cloud ,
    most of carrier will give you at least 5GB to use .
    04-27-2016 06:52 AM
    The problem is that mms is really a horrible way to send data. So horrible Apple created their own messaging system like so many companies before and after. Just like everyone else they choose not to play well with others (WhatsApp, Viber, line, facebook, etc) so they can monetize it some fashion. When you place nice with others this is called federation. Email does this which is why you can send between Hotmail, yahoo, Gmail apple and everybody else without issue. That's great but it does not give companies a way to lock their users to their platform.

Wouldn't it be great if an imessage user could communicate with a WhatsApp or Viber user without problems.

I only mention it because switching to the iPhone so you can send the video you want why functional is a cruddy solution to technical choice a company made in there own self interest.
    05-17-2016 11:15 PM
    Yes but the problem is; when you click resize, the file is compressed and the video becomes so grainy you cant even tell whet the video is supposed to be showing you. And no, iMessage does not resize the video or change the resolution, it sends it in the native resolution. When someone shoots a video with an iPhone and attaches it to a message in iMessage and sends it to me, it is so clear it looks like i shot it with my own phone, there is virtually no difference. This is not a RADICAL idea and it is by far not new tech. iPhones have been capable of this since the iPhone 4. I love the new Samsung products of 2016 especially the Note 7 and I want is so very bad but I will not get it for this very reason. My phone and my wifes phone are both due for an upgrade now and we almost purchased Note 7's but we walked out without making that purchase when we ran into this issue while testing out the phones. Hope Samsung fixes this soon otherwise I'm going with the new iPhone 7 when it comes out. And you will probably say I'm just an Apple fanboy and that's why I'm saying I'm going to stick with Apple because of this issue, but that would be so wrong and untrue. I really really want out of apple and into a samsumg, the design is so much better and the hardware is light-years ahead, especially the display. But not being able to send and receive HD videos??!! that is just a basic and core function of a smartphone that I dont think I should have to sacrifice when spending almost $1000 per device.
    08-20-2016 10:34 PM
    Yes but the problem is; when you click resize, the file is compressed and the video becomes so grainy you cant even tell whet the video is supposed to be showing you. And no, iMessage does not resize the video or change the resolution, it sends it in the native resolution. When someone shoots a video with an iPhone and attaches it to a message in iMessage and sends it to me, it is so clear it looks like i shot it with my own phone, there is virtually no difference. This is not a RADICAL idea and it is by far not new tech. iPhones have been capable of this since the iPhone 4. I love the new Samsung products of 2016 especially the Note 7 and I want is so very bad but I will not get it for this very reason. My phone and my wifes phone are both due for an upgrade now and we almost purchased Note 7's but we walked out without making that purchase when we ran into this issue while testing out the phones. Hope Samsung fixes this soon otherwise I'm going with the new iPhone 7 when it comes out. And you will probably say I'm just an Apple fanboy and that's why I'm saying I'm going to stick with Apple because of this issue, but that would be so wrong and untrue. I really really want out of apple and into a samsumg, the design is so much better and the hardware is light-years ahead, especially the display. But not being able to send and receive HD videos??!! that is just a basic and core function of a smartphone that I dont think I should have to sacrifice when spending almost $1000 per device.
    As long as you're using MMS, it will never be "fixed".
    08-20-2016 11:26 PM
    dude imessage has nothing to do with mms.
    ***"iMessage is Apple's built-in instant messaging (IM) service. It lets you send text, picture, video, sound, and location quickly and easily to anyone else using iMessage on iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch."***
    so using imessage on an iphone is like using hangouts or skype on any other phone. none of these apps have anything to do with the mms system.
    08-21-2016 06:31 AM