Galaxy S6 uses two different camera sensors...Sony and samsung

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the results from both sensors it seems to me that the Sony is capturing a bit richer colors and handles contrast a bit better but the Isocell is giving a bit more detail and is unequivocally superior in low light conditions. In fact, the Sony looks positively AWFUL in those low light shots over the water. It looks like they applied a very dense blue filter over the lens. Frankly, it's just awful. Maybe it was just those shots but if those shots are representative, "wow" is all I can say.

For the record, I have a Sony sensor in my phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Rogers as well but the phone code didn't work for me - got an error. How did you make the determination?

Same, im also on Rogers and when i dial the code i get an error....i used to have a Lumia and was able to access the details but on the S6 i cant.

nevermind, i missed the initial *...thanks stevelam

My S6 has Sony

Last edited:

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has responded to this little bit of negative PR by S6 fanatics and it's what you would have expected. They admit using parts from different suppliers but that they all meet Samsung quality standards and therefore consumers should not notice any meaningful performance issues.

Con Georgiadis

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
In theory Sony sensors are superior.
My guess is that Samsung has cutting down imx240's performance to bring a balance with isocell sensor

Bruce Fulton

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I looked at the comparison photos. On some, I liked the Sony better and on some, I thought the Samsung looked better. It would be interesting to see a blind test (twin photos unlabeled). I'm guessing it would be a 50/50 split. I think the differences are slight and this is much ado about not much.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sweating it myself, just mentioning that Europe or TMobile or whoever isn't limited to the ICOCELL. Right here in mainstream USA AT&T is also receiving shipments with the Sammy sensor. The comparison photos and various articles are comforting.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Sony for me. Verizon edge 64gb.

I returned the Verizon S6 64gb white already. However, I saved
some of the photos that I took with that phone. Based on the
EXIF info, it had the Samsung sensor. I wondering if this is
why I did not like the photos at all. (although the primary reasons
for returning were no SD card slot and non-removable battery.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering which sensor did they use during the MWC launch event? I have the Sony sensor and though the camera is absolutely great! I was particularly excited about those low light capabilities. At the MWC presentation I was amazed at the low light demonstration. Looking at the comparison shots all across the Internet it seems the isocell sensor is the one that gives these great lowlight pictures. And my personal experience with my phone in low light has been ok (better then any phone I've had before) but not as great as the demo at MWC.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App