04-30-2015 12:16 PM
38 12
tools
    I'm not sure either but I would be willing to bet that carriers don't receive millions of phones, unbox them all, upload their software, re-package them and then sell them.....
    TMO and VZW rushed to get their devices well ahead of other carriers and have subsequently had to rush a bug fix and have had to deal with launch issues. I made a comment later that I wouldn't be unhappy with a May release if it meant as an early adopter, users would be more likely to get a great device. I don't know how and where carrier skins are applied or whether they receive shipments and then apply. Slick and quick not necessarily the best thing. Where did you think my post was heading? I vigorously defend myself with engaging others but my intent is to avoid even the slightest hint of trolling.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-30-2015 09:29 AM
    TMO and VZW rushed to get their devices well ahead of other carriers and have subsequently had to rush a bug fix and have had to deal with launch issues. I made a comment later that I wouldn't be unhappy with a May release if it meant as an early adopter, users would be more likely to get a great device. I don't know how and where carrier skins are applied or whether they receive shipments and then apply. Slick and quick not necessarily the best thing. Where did you think my post was heading? I vigorously defend myself with engaging others but my intent is to avoid even the slightest hint of trolling.

Huh? T-Mobile just shipped it early .. and so did Sprint. VZW did not rush their devices to people.

Also ... By them shipping the phones 2-3 weeks early did not cause the issues. The software and all that was done LONG before that -- All they did was ship it before the official date. Nothing more .. nothing less. They had them sitting in a warehouse and simply slapped the shipping label on them early. Just like AT&T had them in a big warehouse .. but .. the difference is they waited to ship them.
    04-30-2015 10:37 AM
    Huh? T-Mobile just shipped it early .. and so did Sprint. VZW did not rush their devices to people.

Also ... By them shipping the phones 2-3 weeks early did not cause the issues. The software and all that was done LONG before that -- All they did was ship it before the official date. Nothing more .. nothing less. They had them sitting in a warehouse and simply slapped the shipping label on them early. Just like AT&T had them in a big warehouse .. but .. the difference is they waited to ship them.
    Your source?

04-30-2015 11:02 AM
    Your source?

Source for what? They aren't programming phones 2 weeks before a launch .. They wouldn't meet up with demand. How do you think they shipped them early? Because they receive them early .. T-mo / Sprint just chose to ship them early.
    04-30-2015 11:06 AM
    Source for what? They aren't programming phones 2 weeks before a launch .. They wouldn't meet up with demand. How do you think they shipped them early? Because they receive them early .. T-mo / Sprint just chose to ship them early.
    How do we know that the carrier didn't rush to get their hands in the process before shipment? To make a specific shipping date, you would think that some PM is making sure that all items are covered off before distribution. That's not even a possibility?

04-30-2015 11:18 AM
    The carriers don't program phones, update phones or load software on phones themselves. The software is approved by the carrier and then Samsung loads it to the phone during production of the phone. They are then shipped out to the customer. That is why phones often get day one updates and can come out a version behind; the launch software is locked in before full scale production to ensure that phones aren't going out with different software version and that happens months before release. If anything crops up the window of a few months until release allows day one updates to be prepped by Samsung and tested and released by carriers.

Samsung shipped what they had to the carriers all at the same time and some of them simply opted to break street date and ship early. That 1 week early release had zero effect on how the software was devloped.
    04-30-2015 11:26 AM
    The carriers don't program phones, update phones or load software on phones themselves. The software is approved by the carrier and then Samsung loads it to the phone during production of the phone. They are then shipped out to the customer. That is why phones often get day one updates and can come out a version behind; the launch software is locked in before full scale production to ensure that phones aren't going out with different software version and that happens months before release. If anything crops up the window of a few months until release allows day one updates to be prepped by Samsung and tested and released by carriers.

Samsung shipped what they had to the carriers all at the same time and some of them simply opted to break street date and ship early. That 1 week early release had zero effect on how the software was devloped.
    Logically, the carrier is working with Samsung to get the device ready. Their has to be an image loaded on devices by Samsung that covers off the UI and carrier bloat as well as changes resulting from carrier testing.

04-30-2015 11:32 AM
    Yes. The carriers make all of their changes and requests and whanot just like they always do and send it to Samsung, Samsung gives it the OK and then that approved software is set to be loaded onto the phone. This would typically be done before wide scale production of the phone. Any changes after that are covered in a day one OTA update, something much simpler then reprogramming millions of phones after the are off the production line and packed in retail boxes. There is a lock in date for software at some point and after that it's a no go for changes outside of a day one OTA

T-Mobile shipping a week or less early didn't effect anything with the software. Sprint, AT&T and Verizon all had their phones at the same time as T-Mobile. The phones get shipped in bulk for cost reasons well ahead of time to account for shipping deals so that there is as much stock as possible for pre-order to reach customer by launch day and for stores to have enough non pre ordered stock.
    04-30-2015 11:45 AM
    How do we know that the carrier didn't rush to get their hands in the process before shipment? To make a specific shipping date, you would think that some PM is making sure that all items are covered off before distribution. That's not even a possibility?

And how do you know they did? That kind of thinking can be flipped -- I can't prove it and you can't prove it.

Although it is pretty much known a world-wide (millions) launch of a phone isn't still being setup 2 weeks prior. Sure more are being made but the ones that will be shipped have already been in a warehouse all stacked up for pre-orders and such.

You're just assuming a lot of things. I get you like your AT&T S6 but you really have been down playing anything that isn't an AT&T S6 lately.
    04-30-2015 11:49 AM
    And how do you know they did? That kind of thinking can be flipped -- I can't prove it and you can't prove it.

Although it is pretty much known a world-wide (millions) launch of a phone isn't still being setup 2 weeks prior. Sure more are being made but the ones that will be shipped have already been in a warehouse all stacked up for pre-orders and such.

You're just assuming a lot of things. I get you like your AT&T S6 but you really have been down playing anything that isn't an AT&T S6 lately.
    I just asked if it were possible?

04-30-2015 11:54 AM
    I just asked if it were possible?

Afterwards you did -- before you didn't. You stated it as that is why they have issues with no basis on that claim. The early shipping from T-Mobile didn't cause the issue .. the WiFi calling seems to be the issue. That is part of their software. Regardless of shipping early they were going to have the devices 2 weeks before launch since they have to take & ship a ton of pre-orders .. even AT&T, VZW, and Sprint were in this boat. Software was done. They probably had no idea they had a bug in WiFi calling until it hit the masses so .. holding the shipping for 2 weeks wouldn't matter since they already had them setup and didn't know there was an issue.
    04-30-2015 11:59 AM
    Afterwards you did -- before you didn't. You stated it as that is why they have issues with no basis on that claim. The early shipping from T-Mobile didn't cause the issue .. the WiFi calling seems to be the issue. That is part of their software. Regardless of shipping early they were going to have the devices 2 weeks before launch since they have to take & ship a ton of pre-orders .. even AT&T, VZW, and Sprint were in this boat. Software was done. They probably had no idea they had a bug in WiFi calling until it hit the masses so .. holding the shipping for 2 weeks wouldn't matter since they already had them setup and didn't know there was an issue.
    I apologize for the misunderstanding and any offense my post caused. It was certainly not intended that way.

04-30-2015 12:04 PM
    I apologize for the misunderstanding and any offense my post caused. It was certainly not intended that way.

It wasn't offensive no worries . Just saying that the 2 week shipping didn't do it .. their software (WiFi calling) did. I have done some extensive testing with my phone in regards to it and I find I have no more issues using wifi (or mobile) if I just keep WiFi calling off. I never see "Cell standby" anymore draining my battery like crazy.
    04-30-2015 12:16 PM
38 12