When is 5.1 coming for S6 on AT&T?

hammey22

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to find anything searching here. Does anyone have info, or links to other posts?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if AT&T announces a release date, if they find a major bug the night before that date, it won't be released. (TMobile just pulled n update due to bugs the manufacturer left in the update.) You can only be sure of update release dates in retrospect - "they released it on", not "they're going to release it on".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even if AT&T announces a release date, if they find a major bug the night before that date, it won't be released. (TMobile just pulled n update due to bugs the manufacturer left in the update.) You can only be sure of update release dates in retrospect - "they released it on", not "they're going to release it on".

What update was that? I am not aware of a T-Mobile S6 update that was pulled.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has overtaken Verizon in the worst carrier update support area and has typically been dead last, and by a few months to, for updates. With that in mind I'd expect to see 5.1, or more then likely 5.1.1, late summer or early to mid fall. Samsung Pay is likely going to be bundled with it. They may hold it back in an attempt to push people to the Note 5 if it comes with Samsung Pay out of the box.

As for the T-Mobile update, I highly doubt that is a legitimate roll out. Either it's an out and out fake or more then likely someone goofed and triggered an internal beta test update for his IMEI or SN when it was supposed to be for an internal tester or something; the build date being yesterday hints at this. Build testing would in no way be done in less then a day. There is an almost 0% chance that T-Mobile and Samsung would beat Google to releasing 5.1.1. Plus T-Mobile makes no note of this on their websites update section nor have I seen any reports of it updating on other phones.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
AT&T has overtaken Verizon in the worst carrier update support area and has typically been dead last, and by a few months to, for updates. With that in mind I'd expect to see 5.1, or more then likely 5.1.1, late summer or early to mid fall. Samsung Pay is likely going to be bundled with it. They may hold it back in an attempt to push people to the Note 5 if it comes with Samsung Pay out of the box.

As for the T-Mobile update, I highly doubt that is a legitimate roll out. Either it's an out and out fake or more then likely someone goofed and triggered an internal beta test update for his IMEI or SN when it was supposed to be for an internal tester or something; the build date being yesterday hints at this. Build testing would in no way be done in less then a day. There is an almost 0% chance that T-Mobile and Samsung would beat Google to releasing 5.1.1. Plus T-Mobile makes no note of this on their websites update section nor have I seen any reports of it updating on other phones.

Agree with your AT&T timing but disagree on customer service. They are overly cautious about updates but it's their network and we exist on it. Look what happened the last time a quick TMO update was rolled out.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree with your AT&T timing but disagree on customer service. They are overly cautious about updates but it's their network and we exist on it. Look what happened the last time a quick TMO update was rolled out.

They are not over cautious about updates. If they were the 4.4.3, 4.4.4 & 5.0.2 updates for the M8 would not have been as badly bugged as they were, one big bug AT&T itself introduced. Every other carrier in the US & Canada can release an update without any major issue while AT&T twiddles their thumbs.

It's money first and foremost and having a big team of software engineers pushing out updates AT&T can't charge you for isn't in their business plan. It's why we see bloatware like Uber shoved on our phones, Uber pays them money so they get their app locked onto our phones, yet we still don't have the day one update that T-Mobile and Sprint users got.

I like AT&T. I have little to no issue with their network wherever I've gone and their rates are reasonable for the type of low usage plans I need. With the exception of their stores I have almost always dealt with pleasant people and gotten what few issues I've had taken care of. However they are very much like most other companies these days; unless they can charge you for the service or feature it's not a priority. Some companies feel the 'little things' that they can tout to customer foster better business, AT&T is not one of them.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
They are not over cautious about updates. If they were the 4.4.3, 4.4.4 & 5.0.2 updates for the M8 would not have been as badly bugged as they were, one big bug AT&T itself introduced. Every other carrier in the US & Canada can release an update without any major issue while AT&T twiddles their thumbs.

It's money first and foremost and having a big team of software engineers pushing out updates AT&T can't charge you for isn't in their business plan. It's why we see bloatware like Uber shoved on our phones, Uber pays them money so they get their app locked onto our phones, yet we still don't have the day one update that T-Mobile and Sprint users got.

I like AT&T. I have little to no issue with their network wherever I've gone and their rates are reasonable for the type of low usage plans I need. With the exception of their stores I have almost always dealt with pleasant people and gotten what few issues I've had taken care of. However they are very much like most other companies these days; unless they can charge you for the service or feature it's not a priority. Some companies feel the 'little things' that they can tout to customer foster better business, AT&T is not one of them.
Good or bad. It's not evil to make a profit. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Actually, such updates for the m8 were late compared to other carriers and most bugs were Googles fault, not AT&T.

In fact, while I'm totally speculating here, the reason why AT&T had been so late over the past year is because of the really bad bugs in some of the past phones and AT&T quickly released them and burned a huge amount of customers. So it's not unreasonable to think that they are being far more cautious about updates the past 6 to 12 months.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie