10-30-2015 06:52 PM
183 ... 5678
tools
    Actually if you really want to see a terrible theme store check out the LG store. All designed for a little girl.
    The Samsung at least has some interesting Avengers themes...
    As honest as I can be here ... I actually think a LOT of the themes that are in the Samsung Theme Store are "well designed" and "well thought out" themes. They have nice color coordination and harmony, and have continuity across the theme. For that, I give them credit where it's due.

The problem is, there ain't no way in hell that me ... a grown man, husband, father, architect/contractor ... is going to use a Hello Kitty, Avengers, or other "cartoony" theme on my phone. It's just not going to happen. Ever. (grin)

It's the people like me ... who I can only assume there are plenty more like me ... that just want something that's a subtle change - aka: darker theme with a more elegant, grown-up look to it. That's it ... simple, clean, minimalist.

ugh ... i REALLY need to get my schitt together and get on this dev team LOL
    BioFanatic likes this.
    06-12-2015 08:53 AM
    There are more themes in the Theme store now, even some new dark ones! The themes are getting better
    Check "dlto" themes, he has some new dark ones

Still waiting on the perfect theme though
    06-12-2015 08:56 AM
    I am using the Horizon theme and like it, it's not bad but most themes in the store are not for grown men or adults. I would gladly pay for a nice theme with some dark and color balance. My biggest issue with the default AT&T texting app is not being able to change the colors on it, the default Samsung theme is not bad but with the AT&T texting in orange it is not good.
    06-12-2015 09:21 AM
    I had been using the "urban" theme ... but even that one bothered me on a couple of points if I have to be perfectly honest about it ... I didn't/don't like the blue/red phone/camera icons on the lock screen ... and I didn't really care of for the crazy blurred phone dialer background, especially when it didn't carry that through the keypad function when in a call ... I also didn't like the way the shift key / caps lock thing worked on the stock keyboard ... when you'd hit the shift key one time, it wouldn't light up the up arrow to show you that you're on caps ... it would only change the letters on the keyboard to capital letters. Yah, you could tell it was on caps, but I think that the lighted up arrow makes a huge difference ... and that either was forgotten/overlooked ... or it's just not a well thought-out design.

Now, I'm back to using the stock theme ... and other than the orange on the contacts and messaging app, I'm good with it, even though I'd prefer a dark theme overall.

One thing about the messaging app ... and I hope I'm not mistaken here ... but when I first got the phone, I THINK that the available message bubble adjustments didn't include a set where the bubbles were different colors ... at least not different enough to easily see which is which (you vs. the person you're texting with). Now, since the last update, at least there's an option where your text is kinda orange'ish, and the person you're texting with is a lighter blue color. That alone makes a huge difference to me, and make the app much more usable, even if the overall theme of that app is orange.
    06-12-2015 09:37 AM
    I'd like the Red Soccer theme if it didn't have soccer balls everywhere and a different font installed.
    06-12-2015 09:37 AM
    I'm using Tire Tracks... Not too bad

New Themes are in!-uploadfromtaptalk1434125907170.jpg
    New Themes are in!-uploadfromtaptalk1434125940212.jpg
    New Themes are in!-uploadfromtaptalk1434125961374.jpg
    New Themes are in!-uploadfromtaptalk1434125972348.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    06-12-2015 11:19 AM
    I had been using the "urban" theme ... but even that one bothered me on a couple of points if I have to be perfectly honest about it ... I didn't/don't like the blue/red phone/camera icons on the lock screen ... and I didn't really care of for the crazy blurred phone dialer background, especially when it didn't carry that through the keypad function when in a call ... I also didn't like the way the shift key / caps lock thing worked on the stock keyboard ... when you'd hit the shift key one time, it wouldn't light up the up arrow to show you that you're on caps ... it would only change the letters on the keyboard to capital letters. Yah, you could tell it was on caps, but I think that the lighted up arrow makes a huge difference ... and that either was forgotten/overlooked ... or it's just not a well thought-out design.

Now, I'm back to using the stock theme ... and other than the orange on the contacts and messaging app, I'm good with it, even though I'd prefer a dark theme overall.

One thing about the messaging app ... and I hope I'm not mistaken here ... but when I first got the phone, I THINK that the available message bubble adjustments didn't include a set where the bubbles were different colors ... at least not different enough to easily see which is which (you vs. the person you're texting with). Now, since the last update, at least there's an option where your text is kinda orange'ish, and the person you're texting with is a lighter blue color. That alone makes a huge difference to me, and make the app much more usable, even if the overall theme of that app is orange.
    Have you tried this theme?

THEME Dark S6/Edge (Beta) | Samsung Galaxy S6 | XDA Forums

Messaging app doesn't differentiate bubble very well, but otherwise I really like the theme.
    Wiggum333 likes this.
    06-12-2015 01:27 PM

Messaging app doesn't differentiate bubble very well, but otherwise I really like the theme.
    I had not seen that theme ... but that thread has been closed, and there's no APK to download to install the theme. Where can I get that theme at this time? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
    06-12-2015 01:43 PM
    Here is a very nice one I've been beta testing the last few days:

[WIP] Galaxy S6 Material Theme | Samsung Galaxy S6 | XDA Forums

This one is very nice!
    deeb215 likes this.
    06-12-2015 02:02 PM
    I had not seen that theme ... but that thread has been closed, and there's no APK to download to install the theme. Where can I get that theme at this time? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
    Hmmm...wonder what happened? He had a specific step-by-step process posted too. Nothing complicated, but certainly needed to be followed. I'll see if I still have the APK on my phone.
    06-12-2015 02:10 PM
    Here is the APK:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2capk

Here are the steps as I recall them:

1. If you have the Urban theme installed, delete it.
    2. Install the APK. You will get an error. The theme will still be installed.
    3. Download the Urban theme. Once complete, apply the Dark / Red theme.

Something along those lines. I guess try at your own risk. LOL.
    Wiggum333 likes this.
    06-12-2015 02:29 PM
    Here is the APK:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2capk

1. If you have the Urban theme installed, delete it.
    2. Install the APK. You will get an error. The theme will still be installed.
    3. Download the Urban theme. Once complete, apply the Dark / Red theme.

Something along those lines. I guess try at your own risk. LOL.
    I MAY give that try ... but for now, just downloading APK and storing it aside. Gonna try to live w/ stock theme right now, and work on getting my own theme stuff done. Not really keen on this install process since we don't really know exactly how it may or may not work LOL.
    06-12-2015 02:31 PM
    Even though the original post was deleted, if you scroll through the XDA thread, several folks had quoted the full original post with all the steps, and those are still intact.
    06-12-2015 02:33 PM
    Even though the original post was deleted, if you scroll through the XDA thread, several folks had quoted the full original post with all the steps, and those are still intact.
    Good catch! So here are the steps from a quoted post:

1, If u have Urban theme from Samsung theme store uninstall it
    2, Install the theme apk attached below and let it get installed takes a while
    3, Once the theme apk is installed wait for minit or 2 and then install Urban theme from Samsung Theme store, at last it will get error but still the theme will be there
    4, Go to my theme and apply Dark s6... theme and voila u will have thos themed installed and working
    Wiggum333 likes this.
    06-12-2015 03:02 PM
    I MAY give that try ... but for now, just downloading APK and storing it aside. Gonna try to live w/ stock theme right now, and work on getting my own theme stuff done. Not really keen on this install process since we don't really know exactly how it may or may not work LOL.
    I understand, the install process does seem a little wonky. I found the steps from quote on page 8 of that XDA thread. Here they are, if it gives you any more confidence. I've been running this for days now with zero problems, if that helps.

3, Once the theme apk is installed wait for minit or 2 and then install Urban theme from Samsung Theme store, at last it will get error but still the theme will be there
    4, Go to my theme and apply Dark s6... theme and voila u will have thos themed installed and working
    06-12-2015 03:04 PM
    I understand, the install process does seem a little wonky. I found the steps from quote on page 8 of that XDA thread. Here they are, if it gives you any more confidence. I've been running this for days now with zero problems, if that helps.

I dl'd the APK, and saved the installation instructions for later use ... however, I have to admit ... the more I look at the thumbnails, the more I'm unsure I'd like it. It's cool in that it's a dark theme ... but honestly, I'm not a fan of all that red. It's cool, on it's own ... but I'm just not sure I'd like it for me.

If you looked at what direction I'm planning for a theme if I can get on the dev team, any color in my dark theme(s) would be more for accent only, not anything that would become a true part of, or dominate the theme to where it's no longer a real dark theme.

Thanks again for supplying the link to the APK and the installation instructions (thumbsup)
    jimbl likes this.
    06-12-2015 03:25 PM
    I dl'd the APK, and saved the installation instructions for later use ... however, I have to admit ... the more I look at the thumbnails, the more I'm unsure I'd like it. It's cool in that it's a dark theme ... but honestly, I'm not a fan of all that red. It's cool, on it's own ... but I'm just not sure I'd like it for me.

If you looked at what direction I'm planning for a theme if I can get on the dev team, any color in my dark theme(s) would be more for accent only, not anything that would become a true part of, or dominate the theme to where it's no longer a real dark theme.

Thanks again for supplying the link to the APK and the installation instructions (thumbsup)
    Sure no problem. I admit, this theme is a bit half baked, as the icons remain the stock theme icons. I'm fine with it for now, at least until your themes start showing up on the theme store.
    06-12-2015 03:32 PM

This one is good, but the Touchwiz icons turn me off
    06-12-2015 03:47 PM
    Sure no problem. I admit, this theme is a bit half baked, as the icons remain the stock theme icons. I'm fine with it for now, at least until your themes start showing up on the theme store.
    Huge truth here ... but icons are one the weakest points of the android phones if you ask me. Not sure how you could control it, but the fact that anyone can make their app icons look like whatever they want really sucks. I'm not saying there should be an iPhone style "lock down" of how they look, making them all rounded-corner-squares ... but there should be SOME sort of "theme", that's very basic and elegant, that app devs should be asked to try to conform to.

On the heels of that comment, the reason I don't care about the icons (or lack thereof) for any theme ... is that there's NO way they can make EVERY possible icon for EVERY app out there ... so you have this slew of conforming design icons for most common apps ... but as soon as you pull a few of YOUR personal apps out on the home screen, it throws everything off from a design standpoint ... which, TO ME, nullifies any unity you gained with theme-based icons.

One suggestion I can think of for app icons, that I'd LOVE to see implemented, is this: You know how you can set a folder type on our phones using third-party launchers? Well, what if there was an "app icon background style" you could choose??? Let's say, circle, square, star, etc.... whatever shapes they would offer ... and you could set it's background color, edge color, etc. just like you can w/ Nova Prime's notification badges? And that would be the background for the app icon that was/is provided by the app developers? Then, the phone would place that icon background on the screen, and overlay the actual app icon on top of it, but within the boundary of the background you've chosen ...

THEN you'd have continuity with the look of the icons on your home screen, regardless of what the app dev decided they want the app icon to look like ...
    06-12-2015 03:50 PM
    Finally some subtle themes up in the theme store.
    06-17-2015 09:11 PM
    Finally. A couple look nice. My only issue now is that the calendar icons do not change with the date.

I am using the red/black theme discussed above, which doesn't change the icons, which means the calendar works properly. Plus, I love the red/black color combo, so I have a feeling I will stick to this theme for quite a while.
    06-17-2015 09:30 PM
    Out of today's new themes I find these four the best

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6
    Attached Thumbnails New Themes are in!-1617.jpg   New Themes are in!-1616.jpg   New Themes are in!-1615.jpg   New Themes are in!-1614.jpg  
    06-17-2015 10:11 PM
    I had Tire Tracks for a while but Im switching to Old Time I like it!
    06-17-2015 10:28 PM
    I had Tire Tracks for a while but Im switching to Old Time I like it!
    I like Tire Track and what u mean for awhile lol this just came out for me in the theme store

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6
    06-17-2015 10:32 PM
    There's still no dark material theme, but the themes in general are getting much better. I'm actually using a theme for the first time called 'old time'

dreaming of electric sheep
    06-17-2015 10:46 PM
183 ... 5678