New Themes are in!

Taz89

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You would think Samsung would atleast have a dark theme. Ie basically there default white theme except being white. What really would help is having the ability to install themes from the Play store.

Posted via the Android Central App

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow all these themes are terrible. They are made for 6 year olds. There is like one decent theme on there. Maybe two. Come on Samsung. Give us one Material Design theme following googles guidelines and call it a day. Stop letting the 9 year olds design the themes!!!

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I still can't believe that one of the very first things they didn't do with themes was to simply do different color combinations to the menus, withOUT changing any backgrounds, graphics, etc. Just fix the goofy stock android/samsung colors ... It seems like that would be the most simple and quick thing to do, and offer quite a bit of customization right off the bat.

OR ... and I think I already said this ...

Just add the functionality to let the user adjust the colors on their own w/out having to really invoke a "theme" ... same way that Windows has that interface where you can adjust window colors, title bar, font, other elements, etc. And allow the user to save these "custom color schemes" to their phone.

Honestly, that's ALL I want ... I'm not into "themes" ... the ONLY reason I have installed and use URBAN is because I'm happier with the menu colors than the stock "theme". And honestly, there's still a good bit of the URBAN theme I'd change with respect to some of the colors if it were up to me.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I still can't believe that people are actually talking about these crappy Samsung themes when they have much better options like Nova and action launchers. The Samsung themes are embarrassingly Bad.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I still can't believe that people are actually talking about these crappy Samsung themes when they have much better options like Nova and action launchers. The Samsung themes are embarrassingly Bad.

When you apply a theme the menu colors stay active even when you activate Nova. So its not even a matter of wanting/using the theme ... its just a way to get your menus changed.

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see some simple modern dark themes myself. I'm waiting for the reply for the Partnership Request from Samsung ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't been impressed with the theme selection at present but I keep checking back. Happy with TouchWiz for now. Developers will need some time to get started. Pretty excited. Remember themes from my RIM days but then they just changed the homescreen, not nearly as extensive as they are now.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow all these themes are terrible. They are made for 6 year olds. There is like one decent theme on there. Maybe two. Come on Samsung. Give us one Material Design theme following googles guidelines and call it a day. Stop letting the 9 year olds design the themes!!!

I think the 6 year old cutesie stuff is cultural to Korea, and maybe most of Asia. I used to fly to Japan for work, and was Hello Kitty'd to death. And this was many years ago. The problem is Americans (and others cultures) don't share this fascination. Samsung should wise up. We are grown ups here.
Here is a blogger's take on it:

Ask a Korean!: Why Do Koreans Like Cute Things?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the 6 year old cutesie stuff is cultural to Korea, and maybe most of Asia. I used to fly to Japan for work, and was Hello Kitty'd to death. And this was many years ago. The problem is Americans (and others cultures) don't share this fascination. Samsung should wise up. We are grown ups here.

If it weren't for those same Koreans, you wouldn't have the GS6.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Interesting read, thanks for posting that link.

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
RIM days..lol I remember making themes for the Storm,,,lol
It was a PITA at times, trying to do stuff Plazmic couldn't do, but fun, especially the Hidden themes, using Hot Spots(areas of the screen, with no icons, that you 'clicked' to get somewhere)
Found this old thread of one I did ,,heh
Change the xx to tt> hxxp://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-storm-9530-9500-themes-f131/hidden-iii-283731/#post3224719

I can't post URLs yet :/

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What does this have to do with anything? So Samsung shouldn't bother appealing to a wider variety of consumers, because "if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have the phone at all"?
Read the original post. Koreans like any other culture have their own unique culture morays and preferences. Of course, they should appeal to as broad an audience possible. The device has only been out a month. If you want better themes, there's really nothing stopping you from making one, is there?

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If it weren't for those same Koreans, you wouldn't have the GS6.

I certainly didn't mean to put down the Koreans, and I do appreciate the Gs6. I j just don't happen to want to immerse myself in their cutesie cultural stuff. Sorry if I offended you.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I certainly didn't mean to put down the Koreans, and I do appreciate the Gs6. I j just don't happen to want to immerse myself in their cutesie cultural stuff. Sorry if I offended you.

Apology accepted. Be patient. It's still relatively early. Just keep checking back at the Theme Store. I haven't exactly been terribly impressed with the selection.