New Themes are in!

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Even though the original post was deleted, if you scroll through the XDA thread, several folks had quoted the full original post with all the steps, and those are still intact.

Good catch! So here are the steps from a quoted post:

1, If u have Urban theme from Samsung theme store uninstall it
2, Install the theme apk attached below and let it get installed takes a while
3, Once the theme apk is installed wait for minit or 2 and then install Urban theme from Samsung Theme store, at last it will get error but still the theme will be there
4, Go to my theme and apply Dark s6... theme and voila u will have thos themed installed and working

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I MAY give that try ... but for now, just downloading APK and storing it aside. Gonna try to live w/ stock theme right now, and work on getting my own theme stuff done. Not really keen on this install process since we don't really know exactly how it may or may not work LOL.

I understand, the install process does seem a little wonky. I found the steps from quote on page 8 of that XDA thread. Here they are, if it gives you any more confidence. I've been running this for days now with zero problems, if that helps.

3, Once the theme apk is installed wait for minit or 2 and then install Urban theme from Samsung Theme store, at last it will get error but still the theme will be there
4, Go to my theme and apply Dark s6... theme and voila u will have thos themed installed and working

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I understand, the install process does seem a little wonky. I found the steps from quote on page 8 of that XDA thread. Here they are, if it gives you any more confidence. I've been running this for days now with zero problems, if that helps.

I dl'd the APK, and saved the installation instructions for later use ... however, I have to admit ... the more I look at the thumbnails, the more I'm unsure I'd like it. It's cool in that it's a dark theme ... but honestly, I'm not a fan of all that red. It's cool, on it's own ... but I'm just not sure I'd like it for me.

If you looked at what direction I'm planning for a theme if I can get on the dev team, any color in my dark theme(s) would be more for accent only, not anything that would become a true part of, or dominate the theme to where it's no longer a real dark theme.

Thanks again for supplying the link to the APK and the installation instructions (thumbsup)

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I dl'd the APK, and saved the installation instructions for later use ... however, I have to admit ... the more I look at the thumbnails, the more I'm unsure I'd like it. It's cool in that it's a dark theme ... but honestly, I'm not a fan of all that red. It's cool, on it's own ... but I'm just not sure I'd like it for me.

If you looked at what direction I'm planning for a theme if I can get on the dev team, any color in my dark theme(s) would be more for accent only, not anything that would become a true part of, or dominate the theme to where it's no longer a real dark theme.

Thanks again for supplying the link to the APK and the installation instructions (thumbsup)

Sure no problem. I admit, this theme is a bit half baked, as the icons remain the stock theme icons. I'm fine with it for now, at least until your themes start showing up on the theme store.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Sure no problem. I admit, this theme is a bit half baked, as the icons remain the stock theme icons. I'm fine with it for now, at least until your themes start showing up on the theme store.

Huge truth here ... but icons are one the weakest points of the android phones if you ask me. Not sure how you could control it, but the fact that anyone can make their app icons look like whatever they want really sucks. I'm not saying there should be an iPhone style "lock down" of how they look, making them all rounded-corner-squares ... but there should be SOME sort of "theme", that's very basic and elegant, that app devs should be asked to try to conform to.

On the heels of that comment, the reason I don't care about the icons (or lack thereof) for any theme ... is that there's NO way they can make EVERY possible icon for EVERY app out there ... so you have this slew of conforming design icons for most common apps ... but as soon as you pull a few of YOUR personal apps out on the home screen, it throws everything off from a design standpoint ... which, TO ME, nullifies any unity you gained with theme-based icons.

One suggestion I can think of for app icons, that I'd LOVE to see implemented, is this: You know how you can set a folder type on our phones using third-party launchers? Well, what if there was an "app icon background style" you could choose??? Let's say, circle, square, star, etc.... whatever shapes they would offer ... and you could set it's background color, edge color, etc. just like you can w/ Nova Prime's notification badges? And that would be the background for the app icon that was/is provided by the app developers? Then, the phone would place that icon background on the screen, and overlay the actual app icon on top of it, but within the boundary of the background you've chosen ...

THEN you'd have continuity with the look of the icons on your home screen, regardless of what the app dev decided they want the app icon to look like ...

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Finally. A couple look nice. My only issue now is that the calendar icons do not change with the date.

I am using the red/black theme discussed above, which doesn't change the icons, which means the calendar works properly. Plus, I love the red/black color combo, so I have a feeling I will stick to this theme for quite a while.

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Out of today's new themes I find these four the best

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6

Attachments

• 1617.jpg
    1617.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1616.jpg
    1616.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 1615.jpg
    1615.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1614.jpg
    1614.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 71

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
There's still no dark material theme, but the themes in general are getting much better. I'm actually using a theme for the first time called 'old time'

dreaming of electric sheep

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like Tire Track and what u mean for awhile lol this just came out for me in the theme store

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6

Lol I had Tire Tracks a couple days ago...keep checking the Theme Store before Thursdays, some dev's new themes are up before then

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
'Old time' theme is really nice. Only thing is the volume bar is the same colour as the bg. Do these themes get updated?

dreaming of electric sheep

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Lol I had Tire Tracks a couple days ago...keep checking the Theme Store before Thursdays, some dev's new themes are up before then

My Theme Store didn't update with Tire Tracks and other new themes until today. When you posted about Tire Tracks recently I went looking for it and it was not there. I think you have some special privileges, or mine is slow, or a little of both. LOL.

Emy P

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Just on the offchance, but does anyone remember what was the name of the theme at bottom left of the first image? I used to use that, but had to replace my phone and now I can't find it and it's bugging me!