Hi everyone,

Just got my S6 for about a week - testing the phone out. I am liking it so far but am getting it exchanged (not related to battery). While I was waiting, I was testing the battery life. I think myself as a super light user, and do not know much about current smart phones (I just came from HTC Amaze 4G - yea, its ancient). When I am testing S6's battery life, I am getting 40~48 hours of up time with 3~3.5 SoT (30 min of gaming - Hearthstone). This leaves me around 15~20% of the battery life. Now, I turned most of the Bloatware turned off, including Location Settings, Google Now (never used it due to my crummy old phone and not missing much due to the fact that I am on my computer most of the day for work/personal life), brightness around 25~30%. I turn most of the functions off, such as Bluetooth/Location/NFC and etc, unless I specifically need them. When I am at home, I use WIFI. When I check the stock battery usage data, at the end of 40~48 hours, most of my usage comes from Google Play Service (searched this up, but can't figure out the damn thing, and most people seemed to be in the same boat anyway). Only one that I can see using lots of battery MAYBE my theme, which is the Iron Man Avengers them. So here are my questions after TL;DR:

1. with 40~48 hours of up time, is 3~3.5 hours of SoT reasonable?
    2. I see people with 16~20 hours of up time with 5.5~6 hours of SoT. Could I expect the same if I were to use more of my screen time? Roughly how much of up time = SoT? I cannot find this information anywhere (maybe I am bad at searching). I am losing approximately 1~2% of battery for 2 hours idle time. A lot faster when I need to answer text/watsapp/google hangout etc and screen goes on/off.

Any help would be much appreciated - if you have any questions, I will try to answer as much as I can. I am also on Rogers Network (from Canada, Eh) if that's any relevant.
    04-30-2015 12:08 AM
    Your question is like asking how long a man's legs should be.

I've gotten 4 days on the battery (100% to 40%) with 5 minutes of SoT (I hardly used the phone) and I've gotten a few hours of battery (same 100% to 40%) with 100% SoT. No two people use their phones the same way (no one uses his phone the same every charge) so comparing charge times and SoTs are like comparing apples and hubcaps. A battery that's large compared to the standby drain of the phone can give you close to a week of standby time, if you're willing to damage the battery by running it down to almost 0%, and an Amoled screen run at full brightness with mostly white screens will kill the battery in a couple of hours (which is why Lollipop is a terrible idea for Samsung phones).

The SoT is the amount of time you had the screen turned on. Is 4 hours of SoT reasonable? Yes, if you had the screen turned on for 4 hours. It's loike asking if it's reasonable to have 32 ounces of milk in a quart. The SoT is the amount of time you had the screen turned on.

Roughly how much of up time = SoT?
    The answer is useless. If the phone is on but the screen is off, 40 hours of up time = 0 SoT. If the phone is up for 3 hours, with the screen on all the time, 3 hours of up time = 3 hours of SoT.

If you want to know how many hours of standby time will consume the same amount of battery as how many hours of SoT, it depends on the type of screen, what was being displayed, how far up the screen brightness was, how fast the CPU was running during the "up time", etc., etc. Getting an accurate weather forecast for next March is easier.

I am losing approximately 1~2% of battery for 2 hours idle time.
    That will vary with the strength of your mobile signal, what other radios are running, whether the phone is being awakened a lot or not - again, it's reasonable in some cases, great in others and terrible in still others. "This phone gives you 4 days of standby" is an advertising line, not a guarantee. It's about as meaningful as "no other product cures pain as fast as this one". Maybe not, but maybe a lot of them cure it faster. The claim is still true, but you don't want the product. Did they measure the standby time 50 feet from a tower, no other radios on, no background processes running? That's great, but the phone is almost useless if you actually use it like that.

Bottom line: If the phone gives you enough time to go from fully charged until you can charge it again, you're getting enough time. If not you should have a phone with a removable battery and carry a spare to swap in during the day. Keep the battery from going below 40% before charging it and you'll get the most life out of it. (Use it down to 0% every time you charge it and you'll be paying someone to replace the battery in 6 months of you're lucky.)
    04-30-2015 12:47 AM
    You don't have to be paranoid about your battery life, you're doing fine. I'm sure you heard about about just how bad the battery life is on the S6, but this is just propaganda spread by reviewers who may have a phone that doesn't work well for them or is broken. Rest your heart, your fine.

I am puzzled about your play services, being that you don't use location services and most other stuff normally. I always thought it was somehow tied into location services or maybe VoLTE, but I guess not.

Regardless, your fine. No need to be paranoid.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-30-2015 01:14 AM
    Hi everyone,

Just got my S6 for about a week - testing the phone out. I am liking it so far but am getting it exchanged (not related to battery). While I was waiting, I was testing the battery life. I think myself as a super light user, and do not know much about current smart phones (I just came from HTC Amaze 4G - yea, its ancient). When I am testing S6's battery life, I am getting 40~48 hours of up time with 3~3.5 SoT (30 min of gaming - Hearthstone). This leaves me around 15~20% of the battery life. Now, I turned most of the Bloatware turned off, including Location Settings, Google Now (never used it due to my crummy old phone and not missing much due to the fact that I am on my computer most of the day for work/personal life), brightness around 25~30%. I turn most of the functions off, such as Bluetooth/Location/NFC and etc, unless I specifically need them. When I am at home, I use WIFI. When I check the stock battery usage data, at the end of 40~48 hours, most of my usage comes from Google Play Service (searched this up, but can't figure out the damn thing, and most people seemed to be in the same boat anyway). Only one that I can see using lots of battery MAYBE my theme, which is the Iron Man Avengers them. So here are my questions after TL;DR:

1. with 40~48 hours of up time, is 3~3.5 hours of SoT reasonable?
    2. I see people with 16~20 hours of up time with 5.5~6 hours of SoT. Could I expect the same if I were to use more of my screen time? Roughly how much of up time = SoT? I cannot find this information anywhere (maybe I am bad at searching). I am losing approximately 1~2% of battery for 2 hours idle time. A lot faster when I need to answer text/watsapp/google hangout etc and screen goes on/off.

Any help would be much appreciated - if you have any questions, I will try to answer as much as I can. I am also on Rogers Network (from Canada, Eh) if that's any relevant.
    Don't worry about it. Sounds like you are getting great battery life and is adequate for your needs and usage.
    04-30-2015 05:54 AM