05-11-2015 08:34 PM
113 ... 2345
tools
    Most phones (like Verizon's phones) have GSM radios as well -- and Verizon phones are unlocked automatically right out of the gate.
    Then I guess that ETF is the only real issue? If it is not and radios are not an issue, switch.
    05-01-2015 12:04 PM
    Then I guess that ETF is the only real issue? If it is not and radios are not an issue, switch.
    The only ones with the issue would be Sprint. They're a pain to get a device unlocked for "domestic" usage. They really don't like to do it. Verizon has their phones unlock out of the gate because they have to .. otherwise I assume they would be like Sprint and fight to not unlock so easily.
    05-01-2015 12:06 PM
    He was talking about them going to AT&T saying they couldn't (from Verizon) or such couldn't due to CDMA phones -- which isn't the case.
    but OP has Sprint GS4s which i don't believe have a 3G GSM radio. Verizon is not relevant.
    05-01-2015 12:10 PM
    but OP has Sprint GS4s which i don't believe have a 3G GSM radio. Verizon is not relevant.
    Some users have responded that are on Verizon with similar issues.
    05-01-2015 12:14 PM
    I just looked at a GSM global coverage map, it seems that most of the planet with the exception of North America and a few Latin American countries is GSM. What's the upside to CDMA? It seems like CD versus vinyl LP.
    05-01-2015 12:21 PM
    I just looked at a GSM global coverage map, it seems that most of the planet with the exception of North America and a few Latin American countries is GSM. What's the upside to CDMA? It seems like CD versus vinyl LP.
    CDMA is only used in the US. The rest of the world is GSM. That is why CDMA phones have GSM radios -- so when you go overseas you can connect to their network.

What is the advantage? Nothing really -- it is just older technology. Verizon is working to phase it out (they will want all LTE in the future). Sprint is also trying to do this it will just be a lot longer road for them compared to Verizon.
    05-01-2015 12:24 PM
    CDMA is only used in the US. The rest of the world is GSM. That is why CDMA phones have GSM radios -- so when you go overseas you can connect to their network.

What is the advantage? Nothing really -- it is just older technology. Verizon is working to phase it out (they will want all LTE in the future). Sprint is also trying to do this it will just be a lot longer road for them compared to Verizon.
    So they had two radios for voice? I thought they had one for voice and one for data. Now, with the GS6, there is only one radio, no?
    05-01-2015 12:29 PM
    So they had two radios for voice? I thought they had one for voice and one for data. Now, with the GS6, there is only one radio, no?
    They have CDMA and GSM radios in them. The CDMA part (on older phones) had an additional CDMA Radio added that would handle just voice. That way they could do voice and data. They have removed this extra one now so that is why they can only do a voice call .. or data .. Unless using VoLTE.
    05-01-2015 12:31 PM
    It would seems like Samsung being the largest smartphone could influence how quickly CDMA carriers to switch so they don't have to keep old tech in their upcoming devices.
    05-01-2015 12:37 PM
    It would seems like Samsung being the largest smartphone could influence how quickly CDMA carriers to switch so they don't have to keep old tech in their upcoming devices.
    That isn't how it works. The phone manufacturer doesn't tell the carrier how to run their network since they have no idea how many are on older phones, using old flip phones, etc. If Verizon was to just shut down CDMA anyone without a VoLTE device would be without service since they wouldn't be able to make calls or anything .. that would be bad business. Also any time someone was in a non-LTE area they would not be able to make calls at all.

It is way more complicated then just flipping a switch. Also Samsung doesn't care honestly .. they just make the device compatible for the network just like they do for AT&T / T-Mobile.
    05-01-2015 12:41 PM
    I will pit my android user savvy up against anyone on using a stock device. I don't toy with custom ROM's because I like Touchwiz. User error was not the problem with the S6 I had, nor was it a defect. Something hardware/software related ain't right. My guess is It's not going to be anytime soon so returning the non working POS within the time allowed to do so was the right decision for me. I need my phone to work as phone!

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-01-2015 12:42 PM
    I will pit my android user savvy up against anyone on using a stock device. I don't toy with custom ROM's because I like Touchwiz. User error was not the problem with the S6 I had, nor was it a defect. Something hardware/software related ain't right. My guess is It's not going to be anytime soon so returning the non working POS within the time allowed to do so was the right decision for me. I need my phone to work as phone!

If your phone was not working as a phone, as you put it, the right move was the return it without question. But we're saying not all S6 devices are having the same issues you had, definitely you got a lemon...thats all.

Sorry i gotta say it, but you remind me of Heisenberg...which is awesome...and im ****ting my pants a little.
    05-01-2015 01:07 PM
    Jeez, sorry....didn't mean to get your panties in a twist. All I'm saying is that if you speak to any tech repair person (s)he'll tell you that 95% of all reported "problems" are, in fact, user error and/or ignorance of the piece of technology in question.
    Well I agree But most of us in here aren't blind tweenies or geriatric patients! Just look at the Sprint community forums, there are 1000's of post complaining about the signal (call and data) that just pertain to the S6. So far, the only fix is to put it on CDMA only and voila! It works!! But you lose LTE/Spark, HD calling, and etc. So to have good reception....your stuck with a 3G phone till a fix comes around....if any.

It's all good man. Didn't mean to snap at ya!
    05-01-2015 02:06 PM
    I came back to this thread and started reading about CDMA v GSM.

The Technology of CDMA vs. GSM | Page 2

Now I know what WCDMA means (GSM) and other stuff.

Your country is screwed somewhat, compared to Europe. It will still be ages before a unified system - if it comes, with legacy phones, and Verizon being so big. I thought AT&T were next largest, I will have to see how big Sprint are, and now ya tell me they have their own version of LTE, Spark.

Question is, everyone always says go for the carrier that's best where you live and work first and foremost. That makes sense.
    What I find missing is how do 'incoming' calls from the same carrier or a polar opposite carrier come in to the equation.
    They may be transmitted from ... no, never mind - I'll sleep on it.
    05-01-2015 07:49 PM
    I have Sprint, been with them for about 10 years.

So far it's good everywhere I go. There are a few places where LTE isn't available or signal is limited.
    But overall, where I live and work, I get LTE.

My first LTE phone was the GS4, it worked great.
    My GS5 has been working great also.
    And now my GS6E is also working great.
    The OP probably had a lemon.

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-01-2015 08:45 PM
    I have Sprint, been with them for about 10 years.

So far it's good everywhere I go. There are a few places where LTE isn't available or signal is limited.
    But overall, where I live and work, I get LTE.

My first LTE phone was the GS4, it worked great.
    My GS5 has been working great also.
    And now my GS6E is also working great.
    The OP probably had a lemon.

Great to hear. Do you still miss the card slot and swappable battery?
    STARGATE likes this.
    05-01-2015 09:18 PM
    Try getting a replacement.

Sounds like your particular device was a lemon.
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-02-2015 12:29 AM
    Great to hear. Do you still miss the card slot and swappable battery?
    I started a thread about it a while back, here's the link if you like to check it out.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4252066

To answer your question; I've never had to change batteries and never had a spare because I'm always around an outlet or in a vehicle with a car charger.

This phone is the 64GB version so, for now, I'm not missing either.

My only concern is, will this battery last at least 2-3 years?

05-02-2015 03:32 AM
    Well I agree But most of us in here aren't blind tweenies or geriatric patients! Just look at the Sprint community forums, there are 1000's of post complaining about the signal (call and data) that just pertain to the S6. So far, the only fix is to put it on CDMA only and voila! It works!! But you lose LTE/Spark, HD calling, and etc. So to have good reception....your stuck with a 3G phone till a fix comes around....if any.

It's all good man. Didn't mean to snap at ya!
    I actually still get HD calling with LTE turned off on Sprint.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    05-02-2015 10:45 AM
    I've had my S6 for a week of heavy use. T-mobile by the way. The sound quality on my phone is crystal clear. Dare I say it's actually the same quality HD sound on the 4g lte as when I used to use Viber on a strong WiFi on my S3. Batter life is incredible as long as I free up ram by closing background apps constantly using the tile button to the left of the home button. No issues at all like original post was experiencing. Samsung fo life!

Gray Area and jcp007 like this.
    05-02-2015 10:54 AM
    I actually still get HD calling with LTE turned off on Sprint.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    Then it's my mistake. I thought spark handled all the HD calling. Thanks!

Gray Area likes this.
    05-02-2015 02:09 PM
    I started a thread about it a while back, here's the link if you like to check it out.
    On the GS6. What's more of a deal breaker for you, no removable battery or no SD card? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

To answer your question; I've never had to change batteries and never had a spare because I'm always around an outlet or in a vehicle with a car charger.

This phone is the 64GB version so, for now, I'm not missing either.

My only concern is, will this battery last at least 2-3 years?

I was just messing with you. The thread you started took on a life of its own and never seemed to die. Glad you seem to be enjoying your device. I had my GS4 for two years and the battery was still going strong. There's no reason that I can think of that it would not last that long if the GS6 were your daily driver for that long.
    STARGATE likes this.
    05-02-2015 02:15 PM
    There's not a single smartphone I've had that I can remember where the battery got "bad" in as little as two years ... and that was with me using the heck out of the phone all day every day. Yes, I noticed that it didn't hold a charge quite as well as when it was right out of the box ... but in terms of deeming the battery "bad" and needing it replaced ... no, that's never happened, and I don't expect that to start happening now with this phone.
    05-02-2015 02:20 PM
    Samsung's work great on my network, this is the best reception I've ever had on TMUS.
    05-02-2015 04:17 PM
    For what its worth, I have been using my phone a good bit today. but not really power-using it ... I have 5+ hours off the charger and am still at 80% battery. Wifi and sync have been on all day, but i have volte turned off. Phone calls have been just fine and very clear.

05-02-2015 04:21 PM
113 ... 2345