Galaxy S6 = Lemon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
CDMA is only used in the US. The rest of the world is GSM. That is why CDMA phones have GSM radios -- so when you go overseas you can connect to their network.

What is the advantage? Nothing really -- it is just older technology. Verizon is working to phase it out (they will want all LTE in the future). Sprint is also trying to do this it will just be a lot longer road for them compared to Verizon.

There are cdma networks worldwide including Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, India, and many other countries.

It is older technology, but cdma has better signal propagation than lte. Whether it be in underground concrete structures or 35,000 feet in the air.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It would seems like Samsung being the largest smartphone could influence how quickly CDMA carriers to switch so they don't have to keep old tech in their upcoming devices.

Apple has a lot more influence on the carriers than Samsung.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
There are cdma networks worldwide including Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, India, and many other countries.

It is older technology, but cdma has better signal propagation than lte. Whether it be in underground concrete structures or 35,000 feet in the air.

My understanding may not be clear but I read from Ambassador A that VZW and Sprint devices used to have two radios, one for voice and one for data. Now, they have only one but have GSM radio? One, is there a conflict getting the phone to work with one radio and network issues? Two, with both types, is there a conflict? Would software and network issues be leading to the battery drain?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

evoldroid

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't complain at all about my S6.Best phone I ever had.Battery life is great and the build is so so so sweet.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My understanding may not be clear but I read from Ambassador A that VZW and Sprint devices used to have two radios, one for voice and one for data. Now, they have only one but have GSM radio? One, is there a conflict getting the phone to work with one radio and network issues? Two, with both types, is there a conflict? Would software and network issues be leading to the battery drain?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

No conflict. The GSM radio is just shut off and not in use when you're using a CDMA carrier.

sandman2869

May 7, 2015
Visit site
not so happy customer of the S6.
I am on AT&T.
I first purchased the S6 Edge as a pre order and it arrived 4 days early. Needless to say, I loved the phone with a few exceptions. It would not allow me to make or receive calls from inside my house.

I returned it and purchased the S6 (thinking I got a bad apple). Unfortunately, I had the same experience with the S6.

I called AT&T and explained my situation. Long story short, they sent me out a Microcell for free. It took a few days to receive it so, I returned the S6 and purchased the HTC M9 while I waited. I immediately noticed a great improvement in call quality.

The Microcell arrived and I activated it. Everyone in the house now had full signal strength. My best friend mentioned how much better the call quality was and also pointed out that we hadn't had a dropped call since I purchased the M9.

In my excitement, I went to the AT&T store and purchased yet another S6, thinking that the Microcell had solved all of my troubles. I also purchased one for my wife. Mine is the black sapphire model and hers is the white pearl model. She doesn't seem to have any troubles with hers (believe me, if she did, I would know about it lol) but mine started dropping calls and sending calls straight to voicemail again.

I don't know what it is and honestly I am greatly disappointed, I really love everything else about the phone. Luckily, the past couple of days have been trouble free but I cringe just thinking about the troubles.

I would like to add as a side note that AT&T has been incredible through this entire ordeal. Not only did they send me the microcell for free, but since I was outside of my 14 day return period with the M9, they cancelled the line and waived all costs. They also waived all costs for the phone, resulting in a free phone. They even sent me the unlock code so that, if I wanted, I could give/sell to someone for use on another carrier.
I have nothing but love for AT&T and have been a loyal customer of theirs for a long time. The same love is not shared for the S6.

PS. I know it sounds like it is only in my house, but when I go to the mall, I cannot have a full conversation there either.

I fell your S6 pain.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No conflict. The GSM radio is just shut off and not in use when you're using a CDMA carrier.
The mode will tell the priority. For example global will look for lte first then cdma then global gsm. Even with a Verizon sim, I get service internationally on both cdma and gsm networks.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The mode will tell the priority. For example global will look for lte first then cdma then global gsm. Even with a Verizon sim, I get service internationally on both cdma and gsm networks.

I was curious not being an expert by any means but just an enthusiastic tech buff. It seems that the CDMA carrier networks and hardware configurations were built to take advantage of this older technology. Now that CDMA carriers are trying to convert to GSM, I would have thought that the devices would be caught in more of a transitional phase possibly being one if the causes of the issues experienced by some CDMA GS6 owners.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was curious not being an expert by any means but just an enthusiastic tech buff. It seems that the CDMA carrier networks and hardware configurations were built to take advantage of this older technology. Now that CDMA carriers are trying to convert to GSM, I would have thought that the devices would be caught in more of a transitional phase possibly being one if the causes of the issues experienced by some CDMA GS6 owners.
It is possible that cdma carriers use a different baseband processor than gsm only carriers.

Sent from my AT&T LG G2

Nick Brennan

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Called and spoke with a Sprint rep in tech support. First ask for a credit concerning the dropped calls. Just be humane. They gave me 10$ for the trouble. It's not a lot but something. Second Sprint is rolling out network upgrades nationwide starting tomorrow, May 11th that will complete the first week of June for the S6 dropped calls issue. The tech told me this while he was getting the credit applied to my account. It's a new phone and will need patching. At least they are fixing the issue relatively quickly.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Called and spoke with a Sprint rep in tech support. First ask for a credit concerning the dropped calls. Just be humane. They gave me 10$ for the trouble. It's not a lot but something. Second Sprint is rolling out network upgrades nationwide starting tomorrow, May 11th that will complete the first week of June for the S6 dropped calls issue. The tech told me this while he was getting the credit applied to my account. It's a new phone and will need patching. At least they are fixing the issue relatively quickly.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma