Galaxy S6 = Lemon

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The Good, the phone was fast and smooth.
The Bad, the S6 dropped every call I made using it, almost every incoming call went straight to voice mail or if I did get the call it dropped with in 30 seconds.
It's battery life was horrible only holding a charge with very light usage for a little more than 4 hours.
The finger print scanner would stop working shortly after setting it up forcing you to use the password you set up and lastly for me at least the speaker sounds terrible.
I make these comparisons owing a Galaxy S4 that performs flawlessly with the exception of lag here and there.
In looking at other forums many other users of the S6 are experiencing the same issues. I read one report where an AT&T customer said they were having no problems at all but only one.
I have a Sprint as my carrier in the US. I got my S6 from Best Buy and 7 days later returned it there.
Good luck to those who have this phone, I'm gonna sit this one out for a while, it seems to be crawling with bugs. I need my phone first and foremost to function as a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say it was a carrier issue if you were dropping calls a ton. There may have been things going on in your area or a PRL update was needed.

Also my fingerprint scanner works fine. It sounds like your phone itself was a lemon but the phone as a whole isn't a lemon.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Good, the phone was fast and smooth.
The Bad, the S6 dropped every call I made using it, almost every incoming call went straight to voice mail or if I did get the call it dropped with in 30 seconds.
It's battery life was horrible only holding a charge with very light usage for a little more than 4 hours.
The finger print scanner would stop working shortly after setting it up forcing you to use the password you set up and lastly for me at least the speaker sounds terrible.
I make these comparisons owing a Galaxy S4 that performs flawlessly with the exception of lag here and there.
In looking at other forums many other users of the S6 are experiencing the same issues. I read one report where an AT&T customer said they were having no problems at all but only one.
I have a Sprint as my carrier in the US. I got my S6 from Best Buy and 7 days later returned it there.
Good luck to those who have this phone, I'm gonna sit this one out for a while, it seems to be crawling with bugs. I need my phone first and foremost to function as a phone.

Sprint is a bad life decision.

Please wait while I transfer your call
Sprint and T-Mobile were the first two major wireless carriers in the U.S. to support Wi-Fi calling. The lack of network coverage, especially in rural areas, made it a necessity to compete with AT&T and Verizon. Sprint and T-Mobile usually pay roaming fees to use the bigger networks to connect their customers. Getting more customers to connect over Wi-Fi saves those roaming charges.

But users may be hesitant to turn on Wi-Fi calling if they know it's going to result in a dropped call should they leave their router's coverage. The problem stems from Sprint's undeveloped LTE network. The key to transferring a call seamlessly is to treat the voice call like any other data connection, then just flip a switch to route the data. This is easily done with LTE by utilizing Voice over LTE, or VoLTE.

So, Sprint is getting hit twice by its poor network. It's paying to connect calls through Verizon's network, and when it tries to offload users to Wi-Fi, they're hesitant again because of its network. The only solution is to build out the network faster, but considering the company just fired thousands of employees last fall, including hundreds of network engineers, it doesn't look like that's in the plans.

Why Sprint Subscribers Might Drop Calls if They Turn on Wi-Fi Calling (S)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Have a Rogers S6 and have not faced any of those problems, sorry to hear you had a bad experience and have decided that ALL S6 must be suffering problems similar to what you have...except for the Battery inconsistency which we know some are definitely having.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I must be very lucky, because my AT&T S6 doesn't have any of the issues others are complaining about. So far, my camera is good, battery life is amazing, screen is flaw-free. LTE signal is great in my area. Haven't had any dropped calls.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Have a Rogers S6 and have not faced any of those problems, sorry to hear you had a bad experience and have decided that ALL S6 must be suffering problems similar to what you have...except for the Battery inconsistency which we know some are definitely having.

I agree. OP your experience doesn't cover everyone. I've yet to have an issue. Get no less than 15 hours a charge. It's probably Sprint. Lousy service. At least around here.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the second Verizon Galaxy S6 and it's nothing but problems. This one has slow data and I can't get my email push notifications to work.

The first one you could not get a 5 minute conversation out of it without nasty call quality or dropping the call all together.

I'm about ready to give up on the S6. :'(

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the second Verizon Galaxy S6 and it's nothing but problems. This one has slow data and I can't get my email push notifications to work.

The first one you could not get a 5 minute conversation out of it without nasty call quality or dropping the call all together.

Sorry you are not having a good experience.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I must be very lucky, because my AT&T S6 doesn't have any of the issues others are complaining about. So far, my camera is good, battery life is amazing, screen is flaw-free. LTE signal is great in my area. Haven't had any dropped calls.

Me too except I'm on Verizon. It sucks to hear all the problems but man the s6 i have is seriously amazing.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

My S6 is on AT&T also....no issues here.

Bradskey

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint. The phone has issues but it hasn't been a disaster. Some of it is just Lollipop annoyances. Overall there is little to like about Lollipop, especially breaking so many old apps and games I paid for, and its just ugly, but the lock screen notifications and Smart Lock are nice. I'd much rather just have the new hardware with Jellybean or Kitkat though. Maybe 5.1 will change my mind.

WiFi calling on Sprint is actually pretty nice. Can send and receive calls just fine in perfect clarity. If you're moving indoors to outdoors or between WiFi networks it won't hand-off though. I can usually just carry on a quick conversation in one place, I don't enjoy holding a hot phone to my ear very long. But it definitely saves big on battery life, because in WiFi calling mode the phone stops trying to talk to the cell towers. In spite of Lollipop's atrocious battery hogging WiFi calling goes a long way toward improving battery life while on WiFi at work or home every day. Sometimes it does struggle to turn on or connect WiFi calling though, and this could be improved.

My biggest issues are battery life (same as everyone) and occasional Bluetooth instability. BT seems to just crash every few days, says its enabled but won't connect to anything. Resetting BT and ultimately rebooting the phone is usually required. Otherwise some minor TouchWiz UI annoyances I hope they address. I think all of this will be worked out with updates.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

About your Email notifications, I think I read in other thread you posted that it was Gmail, so the short answer is, go to your Accounts, and remove your Google Account(s), then clear cache and data on Gmail, then Add that or those account(s) back and go to Gmail and set your stuff (Obviously setting your Gmail Sync to On), then send yourself a test email and see if it notifies you.

And just for you to know, this is not an S6 or even a Samsung issue, it's a Google and Gmail app issue, it has happened to me a lot of times with all my devices, Motorola, LG, Samsung, OnePlus One and Sony Xperia Z3.

Last edited:

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm another very satisfied AT&T S6 user ... superb camera w/ the Sony sensor ... 64gb on-board stoarge ... flawless screen/glass/bezel/etc ... no battery life issues ... quick-charge works amazing ... no lag (using TW or Nova Prime) ... no dropped calls ... yadda yadda yadda.

I came from an AT&T S4, which worked perfectly as well, except for the built-in lag, and the fact that as it's gotten older (read: more software, updated software, etc.) it's gotten a little slower over time ... but functionally, the phone was flawless when I switched to the S6.

All the complaints I'm reading about the S6 (well, maybe not complaints, but "issues") ... I find it hard to believe that it's the fault of the S6 with the exception of a few random hardware units that are out there. Seems that a lot of this stuff is the newness of the phone, and the Lollipop OS and all the carriers getting things ironed out. I mean, the phone just hit the market. I know they do testing etc prior to release, but it always takes time once the phones are out there in droves so that people can find other flaws, bugs, etc. that need to be ironed out.

It really sucks for those who have issues, but I would just say "Be patient and let "them" work out the issues so that you can truly enjoy your new phone.".

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm another very satisfied AT&T S6 user ... superb camera w/ the Sony sensor ... 64gb on-board stoarge ... flawless screen/glass/bezel/etc ... no battery life issues ... quick-charge works amazing ... no lag (using TW or Nova Prime) ... no dropped calls ... yadda yadda yadda.

I came from an AT&T S4, which worked perfectly as well, except for the built-in lag, and the fact that as it's gotten older (read: more software, updated software, etc.) it's gotten a little slower over time ... but functionally, the phone was flawless when I switched to the S6.

All the complaints I'm reading about the S6 (well, maybe not complaints, but "issues") ... I find it hard to believe that it's the fault of the S6 with the exception of a few random hardware units that are out there. Seems that a lot of this stuff is the newness of the phone, and the Lollipop OS and all the carriers getting things ironed out. I mean, the phone just hit the market. I know they do testing etc prior to release, but it always takes time once the phones are out there in droves so that people can find other flaws, bugs, etc. that need to be ironed out.

It really sucks for those who have issues, but I would just say "Be patient and let "them" work out the issues so that you can truly enjoy your new phone.".

Similar upgrade circumstances and agree that we need to be patient until everything is sorted.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is a bad life decision.

Please wait while I transfer your call
Sprint and T-Mobile were the first two major wireless carriers in the U.S. to support Wi-Fi calling. The lack of network coverage, especially in rural areas, made it a necessity to compete with AT&T and Verizon. Sprint and T-Mobile usually pay roaming fees to use the bigger networks to connect their customers. Getting more customers to connect over Wi-Fi saves those roaming charges.

But users may be hesitant to turn on Wi-Fi calling if they know it's going to result in a dropped call should they leave their router's coverage. The problem stems from Sprint's undeveloped LTE network. The key to transferring a call seamlessly is to treat the voice call like any other data connection, then just flip a switch to route the data. This is easily done with LTE by utilizing Voice over LTE, or VoLTE.

So, Sprint is getting hit twice by its poor network. It's paying to connect calls through Verizon's network, and when it tries to offload users to Wi-Fi, they're hesitant again because of its network. The only solution is to build out the network faster, but considering the company just fired thousands of employees last fall, including hundreds of network engineers, it doesn't look like that's in the plans.

Why Sprint Subscribers Might Drop Calls if They Turn on Wi-Fi Calling (S)

Sprint has been in a downward spiral since the Nextel acquisition. I don't see anything changing that until it crashes and burns.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like you definitely got a lemon. You should've at least exchanged it for another one to see if that one experienced the same issues. I doubt it would have.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint has been in a downward spiral since the Nextel acquisition. I don't see anything changing that until it crashes and burns.

On my first visit to Best Buy prior to release, the Samsung rep asked if I was on Sprint. I told him that I was with AT&T and said that was a good thing.