What is the best case for a rugged outdoorsman?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
This outdoorsman (I'm an archaeologist) and I use the Otterbox Defender case. I'll be using that until the Lifeproof case comes out, which will make my S6 both dust proof and water proof.

Please let us know how the external speaker sounds.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ballistic makes awesome rugged cases but they always seemed a bit klunky trying to hard to be Otterbox. The Defender has had a lot of bulk slimmed out of it and has a more classic look.
Does otterbox list a drop rating for the s6 defender? I looked on their website but couldn't find it.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Does otterbox list a drop rating for the s6 defender? I looked on their website but couldn't find it.

http://youtu.be/Hlbp0JFp3PQ

Couldn't find it on their site either. This video demonstrates that short of slamming it on concrete that protection should adequate at 8 to 9 feet being dropped on to concrete.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
http://youtu.be/Hlbp0JFp3PQ

Couldn't find it on their site either. This video demonstrates that short of slamming it on concrete that protection should adequate at 8 to 9 feet being dropped on to concrete.

Just weird that otterbox didn't post something. Realistically for most even a ballistic jewel case which is a lot less bulky than an otterbox defender is rated 6' drop. And only costs $11ish on Amazon, an otterbox defender is around $45-50ish on Amazon.

For heavy outdoors activities, the jewel wouldn't be adequate, but for most people who don't need this, a jewel is adequate for everyday usage with good drop protection

uploadfromtaptalk1430620848588.jpg

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just weird that otterbox didn't post something. Realistically for most even a ballistic jewel case which is a lot less bulky than an otterbox defender is rated 6' drop. And only costs $11ish on Amazon, an otterbox defender is around $45-50ish on Amazon.

For heavy outdoors activities, the jewel wouldn't be adequate, but for most people who don't need this, a jewel is adequate for everyday usage with good drop protection

View attachment 174967

I am not going to engage a moderator but have you actually seen the Defender on a GS6 versus earlier models. The drop test shows real world application versus whatever your source for the six foot drop.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not going to engage a moderator but have you actually seen the Defender on a GS6 versus earlier models. The drop test shows real world application versus whatever your source for the six foot drop.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

I haven't seen a defender for the s6 yet,or for that matter the ballistic s6 jewel case. If someone has seen both then I would value their input. For now, I am just basing it in the pictures.

The 6 foot rating is directly from ballistic. I have a s6e, so a moot point anyway as otterbox doesn't make a defender for it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen a defender for the s6 yet,or for that matter the ballistic s6 jewel case. If someone has seen both then I would value their input. For now, I am just basing it in the pictures.

The 6 foot rating is directly from ballistic. I have a s6e, so a moot point anyway as otterbox doesn't make a defender for it.

I'm using the Defender and at this point...I'm not going to do a drop test! :) No way! :) I'm sure though, I'll find out soon enough as I drop my phones at least once...

I haven't seen the ballistic in the wild...nor have I seen another S6 in the wild either. I'm still debating the Ballistic Explorer or the Lifeproof case even though I love this defender.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Defender and at this point...I'm not going to do a drop test! :) No way! :) I'm sure though, I'll find out soon enough as I drop my phones at least once...

I haven't seen the ballistic in the wild...nor have I seen another S6 in the wild either. I'm still debating the Ballistic Explorer or the Lifeproof case even though I love this defender.

I think what contributes to the slimmer Defender profile is that the silicone outer layer is more dense around the body but the power and the volume rockers are still just as responsive. The Ballistic cases for the GS6E look pretty awesome. The cost of the device, the lack of rugged cases prior to and launch, and the feel in the hand deterred me from buying the device. For the price of the base GS6E, I got a 64GB GS6. That may be why Otterbox gambled on not producing one until demand reaches a certain point. I hope that Otterbox makes a Preserver series as I liked the one I got for my dads GS5.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I really liked the otterbox armor series. Imo, the best outdoors case I have used. Unfortunately, it is discontinued. Glad to see otterbox improved.

Kevin Stevenson

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I just replied on another thread here for someone after a waterproof case for the S6.
My pick is the Dog & Bone Wetsuit. It's waterproof but also military grade shockprooof so ideal for someone doing a lot of outdoorsy stuff!

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Too bad he didn't wait for the S6 Active. Sounds like that would be perfect for an outdoorsman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD