RAM issue fix from Samsung

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not to put too fine a point on it. The article title has "coming". I agree that it will be interesting.

Actually it says it is being rolled out in the UK so he may be in the UK :).

“Micro-updates are in the process of being rolled out to correct issues relating to device performance and stability,” the company posted on its U.K. Facebook page. “Keep checking for these on your device via Settings > About device > Software update > Update now.”

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So does this mean that if I'm not having a problem, and they try to fix the problem I'm not having, I'll then have the problem? I think that's how it usually goes. LOL.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog. My Moto X was essentially nuked by the 5.0 update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Could be. It's not in the US so "coming" still applies as far as US owners are concerned.

True but no reason to go into semantics that much with people .. It does nothing but promote bad taste in the forum. Especially since what he said was he just didn't see the update .. and the article suggests to check :).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog. My Moto X was essentially nuked by the 5.0 update.

Not experiencing any issues either. Refresh my device every morning as i turn it off the charge overnight.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
True but no reason to go into semantics that much with people .. It does nothing but promote bad taste in the forum. Especially since what he said was he just didn't see the update .. and the article suggests to check :).
I was thinking the same thing about semantics.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I feel like my ram usage is overly high at times, so im happy about this. Does anyone know if it is necessary to do a factory reset after an update? Ive read it is a good idea but would be a pain to do, does it work to just clear the partition cache instead, or would that do nothing?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I feel like my ram usage is overly high at times, so im happy about this. Does anyone know if it is necessary to do a factory reset after an update? Ive read it is a good idea but would be a pain to do, does it work to just clear the partition cache instead, or would that do nothing?

Clearing the cashe partition is highly recommended after a major update and a factory reset should be done only if you still have issues after that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog.
Not exactly a dog - 5.0-5.0.2 had a memory leak issue, so as the phone kept running, day after day, more and more RAM was being set aside and unavailable, making the phone slower.

It's nice that Samsung is finally "addressing the issue", but it's been a known issue for a long time, and the actual fix is just 5.1 (which they evidently didn't start working on yet, being too busy doing things that look like thy're doing something, without fixing bugs that won't make the phone look any different, so the average user will think that Samsung sold them a phone, then forgot them. Keep pumping out those pimped-out screens, even if the phone crashes. People want cheap and they want new. "Working" isn't important - the lie of the day covers that. [Like "these things are so complex now that you can't make one without having a few bugs".])

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly a dog - 5.0-5.0.2 had a memory leak issue, so as the phone kept running, day after day, more and more RAM was being set aside and unavailable, making the phone slower.

It's nice that Samsung is finally "addressing the issue", but it's been a known issue for a long time, and the actual fix is just 5.1 (which they evidently didn't start working on yet, being too busy doing things that look like thy're doing something, without fixing bugs that won't make the phone look any different, so the average user will think that Samsung sold them a phone, then forgot them. Keep pumping out those pimped-out screens, even if the phone crashes. People want cheap and they want new. "Working" isn't important - the lie of the day covers that. [Like "these things are so complex now that you can't make one without having a few bugs".])

I think that it fair to say that Google, Samsung and carriers have to do a better job of addressing issues especially on nonGoogle devices. It is not fair to infer because Samsung is the the largest of these devices that they don't care about the customer. They are not the only maker...HTC, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Sony to name a few. Google needs to make the updates available in a more timely manner so that a Samsung can push out their update sooner so we avoid even the appearance of the purported arrogance that you posted.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So does this mean that if I'm not having a problem, and they try to fix the problem I'm not having, I'll then have the problem? I think that's how it usually goes. LOL.

I'm thinking the same thing

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I know there was a memory leak...doesnt make it not a dog.

And Samsung actually IS working on 5.1. Multiple reports...feel free to Google.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think that it fair to say that Google, Samsung and carriers have to do a better job of addressing issues especially on nonGoogle devices. It is not fair to infer because Samsung is the the largest of these devices that they don't care about the customer. They are not the only maker...HTC, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Sony to name a few. Google needs to make the updates available in a more timely manner so that a Samsung can push out their update sooner so we avoid even the appearance of the purported arrogance that you posted.

Google usually gets it to Samsung pretty fast ... Then Samsung to carriers .. It is usually always the carrier that is the huge slow point for updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan