RAM issue fix from Samsung

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You're right. In common English multitasking is doing 2 or more things at once. So when I'm cleaning the house while listening to music, I'm multitasking well. But we aren't talking about common English. We are talking about computers or technical terms of said computer function. So when talking about multitasking in computers, while they multitask tons of things in the background, what we are describing is two or more things on your screen.

So when I talk about task switching or switching between the latest tasks that you have performed, I don't just use words that are not related and can confuse a typical consumer. For example, I don't call the recent app button the multitask button because a) that's not what Google or Android calls it, and b) the function doesn't do a multitask event on your screen, it just opens up the task switcher to allow you to switch between your recent apps.

Speaking of the task switcher, why didn't Google just call it the multitasking page if it describes what your taking about? The answer is simple. It doesn't. They call it the task switcher because you use it to switch between the apps that you recently used. And if you read some of the functions of such "thingie" you'll find that you can remove such recent apps (not multitask apps) from the task switcher by swiping them away (or in the case of the S6 you not only can do it that way, but also by hitting the close button (the X)).

This might be a boring topic to discuss in your point of view. But remember, this forum is here to help people learn about their phone and not confuse them more. It's because people in general didn't learn the technical terms properly is how this got confusing to most people. So confusing for some that when they try to make an informative video that the do called experts sometimes call it the wrong name and further confusing the general public on what he is talking about.

I'm just wondering, do you always call the screen on a phone the lookieloo or do you call or the screen? Do you call the home button the dropdown button? Do you call the battery the energy dodad? And lastly do you call the back button the forward button because it forward you to the last thing that you were on?
Many of the above are words used by lay people and that's fine as they are not here to help, teach, or inform anyone, but are here to ask for help. There is also no reason not to use general terms to describe a button when a lay person doesn't know what you are talking about, such as the overflow menu button is described allot like a button that looks like a hamburger.... But we don't call it the hamburger button generally, we call it the overflow menu button.

Notice how I still didn't talk about the test in question yet? That's because this test can have drastically different results for each time that you do it. In fact, if I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time the S6 was tested in such a way by this website. Only the m9 wasn't included back then just before the reviews were out. And in that test between the two phones (S6 vs ip6) the iPhone 6 won instead of the S6 like in this case.
Just think, the S6 was winning the whole time, yet maybe location services enabled just before he tried to open the game and NOW the game couldn't connect to Google's play game service to log in the user and enable any saves, thus why the game hung the second time it tries to load. It's a bad test. A really bad test and should be taken with a huge grain of flavor infusion material that everyone calls salt and not some other name because it is popular at the time to mix up words.

PS: I'm sorry to the readership for not keeping my promise.

Posted via the Android Central App

Switching between two open apps using the recent apps button is multitasking only by the semantic distinction that more than one task being accomplished on a concurrent basis. With the browser and email open on the display simultaneously, the technical definition is fullfilled. If a task is running in the background, then the GS6 is performing multitasking while concurrently running another one. To get to the concurrent task, we need to access the recent apps button to perform the actual switch so the two tasks that were being performed at the same time are paused while the separate, concurrent task is accessed. At this point, you are accessing only one task. In the GS6 multitasking example mentioned earlier, you have two tasks available at the same time to be accessed without having to stop and select the recent apps button to get the other task.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Warpdrive ... I'm no expert, so I'll concede that what you are saying is technically correct. However, I have a hard time wrapping my head around what you're saying.

By your logic/explanation, even if I'm running windows 7 and have 4 applications open, but only have ONE of them pulled up on my monitor (even though all 4 are "maximized" behind it ... I'm not (ie: the computer is not) "multitasking"???

I just find it hard to understand how displaying an open app vs. not displaying it determines whether or not you are "multitasking". By that logic, multitasking depends as much on the video card and video capabilities as it does the ability of the computer to run multiple processes and applications simultaneously.

I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just genuinely confused since you say (to paraphrase) that you have to have the apps VISIBLE ON SCREEN AT THE SAME TIME to consider it "multitasking".

Read my reply just above yours and I hope I described it more clear for you. And yes, true multitasking does require far more resources such as a better video card and normally far more ram.

Minimized programs or apps can and do run in the background all the time. But in the case we are talking about we are talking about apps that were closed or put to sleep and are NOT running in the background all the time.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Funny being separated by a common language. With concurrent tasks, the device is running two apps at the same time needing the recent apps button thus task switching. In the multitasking example, the user is performing more than one task at a time or has them available at the same time.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Minimized programs or apps can and do run in the background all the time. But in the case we are talking about we are talking about apps that were closed or put to sleep and are NOT running in the background all the time.

This is exactly the case with iOS.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly the case with iOS.

This is exactly the case with all Android phones as well. The difference with an S6 is that like most of the latest flagships from Samsung (and LG) it can an does true multitasking if the app is supported.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly the case with all Android phones as well. The difference with an S6 is that like most of the latest flagships from Samsung (and LG) it can an does true multitasking if the app is supported.

Android at it's core is not built that way, if the app as you stated is truly multitasking, on Android it can be done whereas on iOS it cannot...that's the major difference.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Android at it's core is not built that way, if the app as you stated is truly multitasking, on Android it can be done whereas on iOS it cannot...that's the major difference.

If you press and hold the recent key on the S6, you get true multitasking. Of course, you can also do it from the task switcher with anything that has the two Windows label on it.

Yes, on Android it can be done if programed to do so and the app supports it. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple wanted it to work on iOS, it would be done as well.

The problem really is getting the developers to add such a feature on the app. it's why the myth that iphones have better apps is false. Because if that were true then on a Samsung device you would never have true multitasking wroth some non Sammy apps because who would want to spend time and resources creating a feature for just one brand of phone? But both the fanbois of iphones as well as Apple are never into speaking the truth. They are just into flaming anything not Apple.

But like others and I said before, on all of our phones we have tons of apps or system programs running in the background. Such as your clock/Weather widget or app syncing of any app.

But the real difference is that with Apple, they are willing to pay big money for exclusives. Be they games or standard apps. While Google promotes nothing. Not games or even Google wallet. Google let's the manufacturer promote features and/or exclusives.

What I'm getting at is that if an app developer puts out an app on android that is not as good as on iphones, then a) the developers are lazy or
b) they were paid not to improve it for Android.
Conspiracy much? Sure, it sounds outrageous. But it happens all the time. Just look at some exclusive games like bioshock 2 that still never made it to Android. Or how on the NVidia shield tablet you can play half life 2, but not on the latest nexus tablet that has an Nvidia chipset in it or on iOS. Such exclusivity is only because of payments and in my book only hurts the developers and consumers the most in the long run.

But my point is that developers that are not lazy can do anything they want on both iOS and Android if they put their heart and soul into it. Including true multitasking. So again, if Apple wants it too, then and only then will iOS have it. It's not that hard to implement and if Samsung can do it then clearly Apple can. Most developers are willing, but might need a push or payment to do so. After all, you don't work for free so why should an app developer?

The only other thing that hurts Android when it comes to app development are what I call Apple myths. The total BS that Apple and it's fanbase regurgitate repeatedly that not only the fanbois believe but maybe the developers of some apps do as well. There is no other possible explanation why a developer wouldn't want to make extra money on Android other than he/she believes that the phones are not worth it to produce for the platform. After all, android has about a 45% user base in just the US. World wide, it's more like 75%. Just look at the loss of revenue regardless that some Android devices aren't flagship material. But the myths are strong with the dark one. Only the educated know the truth.

But multitasking is not truly built into Android. Samsung added it in. LG followed. The rest are only task switching at best.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The two screen shots below are true multitasking.
bf38700f98903306a88badef2206229f.jpg

5c48252e10667dca4b80ecc8895b5cde.jpg

As you can see, both YouTube and an after market browser are both displayed because Samsung added in the feature and the app supports it. Some apps from tiny company's even support such multitasking, like cpuz. Now while totally unrelated, if a small company with a tiny budget like cpuz can add in a multitasking feature for Samsung devices, do you really think that a huge company like instagram can't fix a compression algorithm for Android phones in a year and a half?
So while off topic, yes it is always the developers fault if something is or isn't done to improve it. It's not that Apple has better apps, it's that the bad apps are the developers fault on android because they are lazy or not paid off.

Beemed to you with the GS6

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Another multi-window or true multitasking with a Microsoft app that only came to Android a few months ago and cpuz (a tiny company) .

e0bf587b0635e835147ef5bf52427901.jpg

Beemed to you with the GS6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000