07-01-2015 04:05 PM
51 123
tools
    Saw this article this morning.

Samsung confirms Galaxy S6 and S6 edge RAM issue, says fixes are coming

I'm not having any issues, and I checked and there is no update available on my phone.
    Gray Area and cbreze like this.
    05-01-2015 11:17 AM
    Interesting .. didn't know there was a bug.
    05-01-2015 11:20 AM
    Saw this article this morning.

Samsung confirms Galaxy S6 and S6 edge RAM issue, says fixes are coming

I'm not having any issues, and I checked and there is no update available on my phone.
    Not to put too fine a point on it. The article title has "coming". I agree that it will be interesting.
    05-01-2015 11:44 AM
    Not to put too fine a point on it. The article title has "coming". I agree that it will be interesting.
    Actually it says it is being rolled out in the UK so he may be in the UK .

“Micro-updates are in the process of being rolled out to correct issues relating to device performance and stability,” the company posted on its U.K. Facebook page. “Keep checking for these on your device via Settings > About device > Software update > Update now.”
    05-01-2015 11:47 AM
    So does this mean that if I'm not having a problem, and they try to fix the problem I'm not having, I'll then have the problem? I think that's how it usually goes. LOL.
    HMBgal likes this.
    05-01-2015 11:48 AM
    I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog. My Moto X was essentially nuked by the 5.0 update.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-01-2015 11:52 AM
    Actually it says it is being rolled out in the UK so he may be in the UK .
    Could be. It's not in the US so "coming" still applies as far as US owners are concerned.
    05-01-2015 11:57 AM
    Could be. It's not in the US so "coming" still applies as far as US owners are concerned.
    True but no reason to go into semantics that much with people .. It does nothing but promote bad taste in the forum. Especially since what he said was he just didn't see the update .. and the article suggests to check .
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-01-2015 11:59 AM
    I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog. My Moto X was essentially nuked by the 5.0 update.

Not experiencing any issues either. Refresh my device every morning as i turn it off the charge overnight.
    05-01-2015 12:00 PM
    True but no reason to go into semantics that much with people .. It does nothing but promote bad taste in the forum. Especially since what he said was he just didn't see the update .. and the article suggests to check .
    I was thinking the same thing about semantics.
    05-01-2015 12:02 PM
    I feel like my ram usage is overly high at times, so im happy about this. Does anyone know if it is necessary to do a factory reset after an update? Ive read it is a good idea but would be a pain to do, does it work to just clear the partition cache instead, or would that do nothing?
    05-01-2015 12:09 PM
    I feel like my ram usage is overly high at times, so im happy about this. Does anyone know if it is necessary to do a factory reset after an update? Ive read it is a good idea but would be a pain to do, does it work to just clear the partition cache instead, or would that do nothing?
    Clearing the cashe partition is highly recommended after a major update and a factory reset should be done only if you still have issues after that.

jcp007 and ballzac like this.
    05-01-2015 02:12 PM
    I'm experiencing some slowdown for sure. It happens after not rebooting the phone for a few days. I've always chalked it up to Lollipop being a dog.
    Not exactly a dog - 5.0-5.0.2 had a memory leak issue, so as the phone kept running, day after day, more and more RAM was being set aside and unavailable, making the phone slower.

It's nice that Samsung is finally "addressing the issue", but it's been a known issue for a long time, and the actual fix is just 5.1 (which they evidently didn't start working on yet, being too busy doing things that look like thy're doing something, without fixing bugs that won't make the phone look any different, so the average user will think that Samsung sold them a phone, then forgot them. Keep pumping out those pimped-out screens, even if the phone crashes. People want cheap and they want new. "Working" isn't important - the lie of the day covers that. [Like "these things are so complex now that you can't make one without having a few bugs".])
    05-01-2015 02:37 PM
    Not exactly a dog - 5.0-5.0.2 had a memory leak issue, so as the phone kept running, day after day, more and more RAM was being set aside and unavailable, making the phone slower.

It's nice that Samsung is finally "addressing the issue", but it's been a known issue for a long time, and the actual fix is just 5.1 (which they evidently didn't start working on yet, being too busy doing things that look like thy're doing something, without fixing bugs that won't make the phone look any different, so the average user will think that Samsung sold them a phone, then forgot them. Keep pumping out those pimped-out screens, even if the phone crashes. People want cheap and they want new. "Working" isn't important - the lie of the day covers that. [Like "these things are so complex now that you can't make one without having a few bugs".])
    I think that it fair to say that Google, Samsung and carriers have to do a better job of addressing issues especially on nonGoogle devices. It is not fair to infer because Samsung is the the largest of these devices that they don't care about the customer. They are not the only maker...HTC, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Sony to name a few. Google needs to make the updates available in a more timely manner so that a Samsung can push out their update sooner so we avoid even the appearance of the purported arrogance that you posted.
    05-01-2015 02:50 PM
    So does this mean that if I'm not having a problem, and they try to fix the problem I'm not having, I'll then have the problem? I think that's how it usually goes. LOL.
    I'm thinking the same thing

mxrider821 likes this.
    05-01-2015 02:59 PM

Yes, I know there was a memory leak...doesnt make it not a dog.

And Samsung actually IS working on 5.1. Multiple reports...feel free to Google.
    05-01-2015 03:16 PM
    I think that it fair to say that Google, Samsung and carriers have to do a better job of addressing issues especially on nonGoogle devices. It is not fair to infer because Samsung is the the largest of these devices that they don't care about the customer. They are not the only maker...HTC, LG, Huawei, Motorola and Sony to name a few. Google needs to make the updates available in a more timely manner so that a Samsung can push out their update sooner so we avoid even the appearance of the purported arrogance that you posted.
    Google usually gets it to Samsung pretty fast ... Then Samsung to carriers .. It is usually always the carrier that is the huge slow point for updates.
    05-01-2015 04:45 PM
    Any update to us sprint users is welcome. So bring it on!!!!!!

05-01-2015 04:52 PM
    Google usually gets it to Samsung pretty fast ... Then Samsung to carriers .. It is usually always the carrier that is the huge slow point for updates.
    Maybe there is hope now that 5.1.1 has made its way to Nexus devices.
    05-01-2015 04:53 PM
    Maybe there is hope now that 5.1.1 has made its way to Nexus devices.
    Def. hope so.
    05-01-2015 04:55 PM
    Def. hope so.
    Come on, AT&T, TMO, VZW and Sprint!
    05-01-2015 04:59 PM
    I was wondering why my Ram usually sits between 85-90% utilization on practically idle state lol let's hope the fix is soon as they say

05-01-2015 05:57 PM
    I'd expect 5.1.1 to start trickling out around the July-ish time frame. T-Mobile apparently has a 5.1.1 test build so Samsung has already at least gotten it to some carriers, which is fairly quick in itself, so another 60 of so days sound about normal for carrier testing and all that good stuff.

I don't think 5.1 will come out to any of the S6's since the Lollipop memory leak bug is supposedly fixed in 5.1.1, which may be way Samsung held off on 5.1. Not sure what Samsung could could do to 'fix' RAM other then change the firmware to be less aggressive in killing apps. Android is, by design, set to use as much RAM as it can anyway. 'Only' having 700-800 MB of ram open isn't necessarily a bad thing, but memory leaks running rampant and pushing it to 90+% usage are bad and will clog up the phone. I just reboot once or twice a week before bed and it's all good.
    05-01-2015 11:44 PM
    Mines is having a hard time operating its sekf. I constantly check my ram and clear it but my phone still operstes laggy

05-02-2015 04:21 AM
    Of course there's a ram issue. This again just highlights how some users don't notice things or are happy with performance because they're used to it. One size doesn't fit all. Like saying no lag but then I play on the S6 and see dropped frames and make it lag within minutes. It's there, but if you're used to it or don't mind it, then it's nothing to worry about

Here is how crappy the 3gb ram utilisation is. It gets destroyed in multitasking and reloading apps by the M9. Even the iPhone beats it!
    Galaxy S6 vs. HTC One M9 vs. iPhone 6 Speed Test:

Lollipop does have a memory leak issue but Samsung has it's own problems since you don't see the M9 struggling
    Some of you are in denial but will quickly change your tune when you see improvements.

05-02-2015 04:55 AM
51 123