Oh my. How the mighty have fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, seems like they should worry more about their crappy screen resolution, lack of functioning NFC and crappy camera, etc., not taking a micrometer to the elements of the phone.

I agree with the display resolution, think they should add a few mm and squeeze in a large battery to help power it.

I think the camera is actually pretty nice. S6 has forced them to make an upgrade, perhaps a more significant one than they might've originally intended on the 6s. but I've always noticed most the photos I've seen from iPhones actually come out pretty nice.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
It's weird, I know my S6 has a much better screen than my wife's iPhone 6, but for some reason I really feel like I can't tell much of a difference looking at them side by side.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Jony Ivy makes milk curdle.

Ive is the iExec that also annoys me the most. He comes across like such an arrogant person. Every time they show a video of him discussing the design during a keynote, this dude looks like talking about the design physically pains him. Seriously, take some muscle relaxants for your face.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Whilst I read this article and browsed many of the comments I can't say that no one seem to mention the basic presumptions of the article

ie Symmetry/alignment is foremost in Apples aesthetics and symmetry/alignment is better

Whist symmetry and alignment has its place so does asymmetric designs and both are subjective and can be equally appealing in many instances

I certainly don't defend Samsung's lack of symmetry or applaud Apples symmetry

If anything this article has allowed over speculation of Apples design premise and if the posters looked a little harder they would of seen the off centered CD drive in many Macbooks or the change is spacing on I/O for audio on the high end MacBook Pros

Maybe this is another reason Apple dropped the CD and now on the new MacBook only has one port as it saves 1000's of hours on alignment design :)

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit ... I noticed the lack of alignment of things when I first inspected the S6. It bothered me a LITTLE at first, but nothing even close to the level that Rene seems to take it to. I also respect Apple very much for the attention to detail and overall design of the hardware they have put out - not just smartphones, but computers etc. as well. They KNOW there are plenty of people out there that will buy into that aspect of their designs, regardless of what their software offers, or doesn't offer. That's how Apple has always been.

I'm a designer, so my brain just works in that same kinda way. I have practiced architecture for almost 20 years, and have spent countless hours on the side producing artwork and digital graphics. One of the things I have learned is that it IS the "little things" and the "tiny details" that truly bring a design to the next level.

All that said, Rene seems like a first-rate D-Bag, completely obsessed with Apple to the point of fault.

With respect to the overall design of the iPhone 6 vs. the GS6, I still think that the iPhone is a slightly more refined piece of hardware. However, that has no bearing at all on the overall quality of the phone - if you ask me.

You have to realize, while it may take a lot more engineering to align all the buttons/ports/etc on the sides and/or top/bottom of the phone, that also means you MAY have had to make sacrifices INSIDE the phone to make that happen. THAT is what we do NOT know ... how much of what did Apple have to sacrifice on the inside to make the outside look that way? It may have been quite a bit, or it may have been nothing. I don't think any of US can really know.

Me ... well, I'd prefer that all that stuff align on the GS6 as well, but if they kept it from aligning so that the phone could be engineered better for functionality, then I'll take that all day every day, because at the end of the day, my phone (GS6) works just fine, and I don't feel like the 'experience' is diminished at all due to a very slight lack of alignment in exterior buttons/ports.

Why this Rene guy thinks that puts the iPhone over the top, I'm not sure. Yes, I get the point he's making (poorly at that) - that Apple is just "proving" their overwhelming attention to detail in every aspect. But does that attention produce a better FUNCTIONING phone? That's debatable.

(Sorry, I know this post is getting long, but I still have one more thing to address LOL)

I loved my iPhones back when I had them, but also realized there were many things lacking in them on the software/functional side of things. I came from a Blackberry originally, and there are/were aspects of their software that I thought for sure by now would have been integrated into all the new smartphones. To cut to the chase, I still can't believe that the following things are NOT part of an iPhone:

1. User Profiles for Sound Adjustments - There should be an app/settings module that allows you to pre-set all kinds of sounds, volumes, vibrations, etc. for your phone/media/notifications/alerts/etc. so that you can quickly hit a button and change from silent to loud to vibrate to whatever profiles you set. Android offers Audio Manager Pro which does this. Blackberry had this built into the OS for their phones. Apple still has yet to address this at all.

2. Home Screen Layouts - Why Apple does not allow you to arrange icons on the screens however you want is beyond me. I hated that they auto-arrange and force up to the top left. What's the problem with allowing you to spread them out and have them arranged like you want?

3. iTunes - This program is great for what it does, but the fact you are FORCED to use it to do anything other than drag pictures OFF your phone is beyond me. You SHOULD be able to drag/drop pictures and music at will on your iPhone, but also use iTunes if you prefer that method.

4. Ability to Access Free Storage Space - I always hated that you can't plug your phone into your PC and drag/drop data files as if your phone is a USB storage device. I wouldn't care if Apple locked you out of the main file system for the phone (other than music and pictures) ... but there should at least be access to drag/drop files from work and bring them home on the phone to work on them there.

5. Widgets - God only knows if Apple is EVER going to allow widgets. Widgets are one of the more useful things a smartphone can have - if you ask me. It boggles the mind that Apple has yet to implement widgets.

6. LED Indicator Light - OK, I know this is a hardware issue, not a software issue ... and it's not even an "android" thing. But one of my most beloved features of my Samsung phones (and my blackberry phones back in the day) was/is the blinking LED indicator. I absolutely love being able to just look at my phone across the room and see if there's a light blinking to let me know if I need to check my phone. Again, another feature for smartphones I can't believe that everyone else has not implemented on at least the flagship models.

Sorry again for the long post ... and for going off on tangents ... but I just wanted to point out that while Rene might be right that Apple does spend more attention to detail on some little things that do matter to some people on some level ... there are PLENTY of things that Apple should probably be spending more time on instead of making sure that the exterior buttons/ports/etc are perfectly aligned on the outside of the phone.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit ... I noticed the lack of alignment of things when I first inspected the S6. It bothered me a LITTLE at first, but nothing even close to the level that Rene seems to take it to. I also respect Apple very much for the attention to detail and ov day) was/is the blinking LED indicator. I absolutely love being able to just look at my phone across the room and see if there's a light blinking to let me know if I need to check my phone. Again, another feature for smartphones I can't believe that everyone else has not implemented on at least the flagship models.

Sorry again for the long post ... and for going off on tangents ... but I just wanted to point out that while Rene might be right that Apple does spend more attention to detail on some little things that do matter to some people on some level ... there are PLENTY of things that Apple should probably be spending more time

It is noticeable (the alignment), but your good point seems to be the S6 is designed from the inside - out. I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
its hilarious that all of the comments that say the article is dumb or that are defending samsung get mega downvoted

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Do iPhone lovers not realize that Samsung makes about 50 percent of the parts in iPhone? Next iteration even more, because they will be using Samsung's processors again. Very misinformed followers.

And Samsung display I believe

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
And Samsung display I believe

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge??????(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

I dont think they use samsung displays. It's not confirmed they will be using AMOLED for the iPhone 6s. If anything at all they will just have the typical processor and maybe camera upgrade.

At the moment LG, and JDI are their suppliers.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I rarely visit imore anymore the attitude there is quite unbecoming of Mobile Nations. I honestly thought it would be an open environment like it is here in Android central but nope. It's very much a closed off mentality with little tolerance for anything not Apple praising.

They also have a denial complex going around that goes up to staff/management as well. This includes telling off new members because of the slightest mention of a negative comment.

I've never owned an iPhone or iPad, I've tried them out but it just didn't meet my wants or needs. Recently I've tried to learn as much about mobile tech as possible so I ventured on to imore to see what ppl (on the other side) thought and what's good and bad in the world of Apple and what their fans thought about the surge of "premium build material" now being used in most Android flagships like the HTC one , Sony z, and now Samsung s, and LG g, lines of smartphones. Thinking they would be praising the new Android models much like many ppl on AC do when they refer to Apple products on here. But what I found was a vast amount of negativity, sarcasm, hate, ill informed, and basically clueless comments from Apple fans and some of the articles themselves.

I was bewildered when 1 person who was clearly an iPhone fan mentioned how apple needs to catch up to Samsung’s s6 with hardware and camera when they come out with the iPhone 6s, it seemed ppl completely ignored him and continued their praise of their beloved iPhone 6. It's not a forum of ideas and well rounded informed debates, it's more like a cult following over there. I just stopped reading because I realized I wasn't going to learn anything from imore just blind love fests for anything apple.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's not a forum of ideas and well rounded informed debates, it's more like a cult following over there. I just stopped reading because I realized I wasn't going to learn anything from imore just blind love fests for anything apple.

Those who close their minds are nothing but fanboy homers. I have one PC, MacBook Pro, iPad, iMac, Apple Extreme, Apple Airport, Apple TV, and Android phones. I love all my Apple devices but I think the iPhone is sophomoric. Plenty of Apple products in this household but I'm not sold on exclusivity, you just limit your resources that way.

The iPhone cult is nauseating though.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I rarely visit imore anymore the attitude there is quite unbecoming of Mobile Nations. I honestly thought it would be an open environment like it is here in Android central but nope. It's very much a closed off mentality with little tolerance for anything not Apple praising.

They also have a denial complex going around that goes up to staff/management as well. This includes telling off new members because of the slightest mention of a negative comment.

The forums are brutal there. The moderators are some of the worst offenders and they close threads constantly if they aren't going the way they want. I was pretty shocked at how poorly that site is run. It doesn't fit in with mobile nations in my opinion.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I read this article and browsed many of the comments I can't say that no one seem to mention the basic presumptions of the article

ie Symmetry/alignment is foremost in Apples aesthetics and symmetry/alignment is better

Whist symmetry and alignment has its place so does asymmetric designs and both are subjective and can be equally appealing in many instances

I certainly don't defend Samsung's lack of symmetry or applaud Apples symmetry

If anything this article has allowed over speculation of Apples design premise and if the posters looked a little harder they would of seen the off centered CD drive in many Macbooks or the change is spacing on I/O for audio on the high end MacBook Pros

Maybe this is another reason Apple dropped the CD and now on the new MacBook only has one port as it saves 1000's of hours on alignment design :)

This is true, for all we know Samsung may have designed the phones asymmetrical on purpose to meet whatever internal placement they used to make the phones so thin. By the way if every port or hole on the phone were symmetrical all those apple ppl would say "you see Samsung copying apple again! They're even making their ports perfectly symmetrical like iPhone! have they no shame!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781