I'm thinking of factory reset my phone. I have a few questions though.
    1. what apps or suggestions ya recommend to do before I do this?
    2. Or any recommendations of threads?
    3. Google Drive will backup all my contacts?
    05-06-2015 02:30 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, is there a reason why you want to do a factory reset? Is the phone misbehaving?

Before resetting, you could backup a lot of your information using Samsung Kies. This doesn't back up 3rd party app data, though, so if you want to keep that, consider using Helium. Keep in mind that Google Play Store will still have a list of all apps you've installed in the past, so you can easily reinstall them after the reset (even ones you had to purchase).

Contacts are automatically synced to your Google Contacts in the cloud as long as those contacts are associated with your Google account. Make sure they aren't associated with the Phone/Device account, because that doesn't sync anywhere. Phone account contacts can be backed up using Kies, but that requires you to initiate it.
    05-06-2015 03:45 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, is there a reason why you want to do a factory reset? Is the phone misbehaving?

Before resetting, you could backup a lot of your information using Samsung Kies. This doesn't back up 3rd party app data, though, so if you want to keep that, consider using Helium. Keep in mind that Google Play Store will still have a list of all apps you've installed in the past, so you can easily reinstall them after the reset (even ones you had to purchase).

Contacts are automatically synced to your Google Contacts in the cloud as long as those contacts are associated with your Google account. Make sure they aren't associated with the Phone/Device account, because that doesn't sync anywhere. Phone account contacts can be backed up using Kies, but that requires you to initiate it.
    Smart Switch replaced Kies?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    05-06-2015 03:49 PM
    I thought Smart Switch was more for transferring data from one phone to another, while Kies was more useful for backing up data and installing system updates.
    05-06-2015 04:09 PM
    Oh I forgot to mention I use a a Samsung Galaxy S6 and the battery life isn't superb. I've read a factory reset could help my battery life. I already turn off alot of things ex GPS, Bluetooth, disable quiet a few samsung and Google Apps. I came from having a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I already gave old phone away. So Kies is useful with samsung as a backup. I'll look into it.
    05-06-2015 05:08 PM
    Kies doesn't work with S6 and edge. You can use Samsung Smart Switch as mentioned above, see here,http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ch-pc-mac.html. But I'd seriously advice you to use Helium so you have can backup most of your Apps with their data, pro version allows you to backup to the cloud, the free version will backup to your Device so you must pass that folder to a PC before you do the Factory reset and then copy it back to the phone after the reset.

For last, try reading this thread, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...hout-root.html, it will tell you what to do to create a Full Backup of your phone without Root, it's very easy to get a full backup but I still haven't need a restore from it so I don't really know how it will work after the restore. But nevertheless it's another way of do a backup.

If I was you, I'd use Smart Switch, backup everything it allows you to, then do the same with Helium and save the folder to a PC, then do the Wipe cache partition and Wipe Data/factory reset on recovery menu, then reboot and set your basic stuff, do the restore from Smart Switch and see what it does and what it doesn't then download Helium from the Play store and do the restore from it, at least I can tell you that it works great with all the apps it can back up.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-06-2015 05:24 PM
    Thank you erasat! :-)
    05-06-2015 06:03 PM
    1) A factory reset works after an update. If the phone came with the version of Android it's running, you're just wasting time resetting it.

2) If you have contacts that aren't Google contacts, see the Contacts section of Backing up an Android Device. (All contacts should be Google contacts. Phone or device contacts disappear if the phone goes bad or is lost or damaged. The only reason for SIM contacts was back when there was no other place to store contacts on a phone.)
    05-06-2015 06:22 PM
    Rukbat, I'm experiencing dropped calls and some have said a factory reset solved it for them. The version is the same and I read your comment. I'm wondering if unchecking Enhanced HD LTE services in mobile data might help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    05-06-2015 06:48 PM