05-11-2015 09:44 AM
38 12
tools
    That's what i would do but i have unlimited data. Never have to worry about micro management.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Some may not have that option / luxury though. So unfortunately not all can just go with a carrier that has unlimited.
    OtisIsMyCat likes this.
    05-10-2015 03:27 PM
    It's been a while since I've used iOS, but one thing that was different was the way apps update.
    On Android, your apps typically do an auto-update through the Google Play Store. My iOS experience was that I had to manually update that.

This may or may not be affecting you... but it's worth looking. Open the Play Store and go into settings. Make sure that you have it set to either NOT auto-update, or better yet, set it to only auto-update when you're on wifi.
    iOS also auto updates apps but you can turn it off as well.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk
    05-10-2015 05:23 PM
    Also, you have an HD screen now. Everything comes in a higher resolution now. Especially YouTube
    Not true at all. The resolution of your device has little to no bearing on youtube streaming.

05-10-2015 05:28 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. My plan refreshed as of today so I'll see how the data is used through the month. I know someone mentioned it as well, but I ended up disabling/uninstalling the FB app and just ended up bookmarking the mobile website instead.

I've tweaked synching and fiddled with restricting background data, but, what surprises me is I still seem to get notifications that suggest that app is still running on data. Then again, I'm not entirely clear on what "restricting background data" actually does. One iPhone it was all or nothing from a user level, data on or off... there was no background or foreground data being used.

I also installed My Data Manager and noticed that GooglePlay seems to use the most data - is this something I can just end in running applications? I tried ending it once, got the warning, and then launched it again just fine.

I have another question that is slightly off topic ... how do texting images work? I notice that when someone sends me an image I have to actually click a download button vs the texted image just coming straight through. Is this because of something I've changed regarding trying to save on data? I also notice that my photos seem to often be too large and I can't send more than two at a time. How can I change the resolution of the photos I can text?

Thank you!
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-10-2015 07:12 PM
    Not true at all. The resolution of your device has little to no bearing on youtube streaming.

It does make a difference. Running youtube at the highest setting on a iphone 6 will use a lot less data than on a s6 at the highest setting. Of course, you can change the quality of the stream, just pointing out that streaming can vary depending on the device

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    05-10-2015 07:48 PM
    It does make a difference. Running youtube at the highest setting on a iphone 6 will use a lot less data than on a s6 at the highest setting. Of course, you can change the quality of the stream, just pointing out that streaming can vary depending on the device

Once again, not true. Video resolution is not limited to your screen size. You can still play 4k video on an iPhone 6.

As for youtube, the highest setting you can even choose in the app is 720p.

05-10-2015 08:01 PM
    Yes, Golfdriver, thanks! I've tried all the suggestions and will see how this month goes because my plan resets as of today.

Thanks for checking in.

Welcome to Android Central and Android!

I do not have the S6 myself, but have the other suggestions seemed to help? Or at the moment is it too early to tell?

I would guess the bigger suggestion would be the auto update over WiFi only suggestion.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-10-2015 09:43 PM
    One option you may want to try is to use Wi-Fi as much as possible. Where ever I go or am, I try to use the free Wi-Fi, which helps with data usage. Depending on your carrier also helps. AT&T has a promotion of free Roll-over data each month....

WBS

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-10-2015 10:12 PM
    Once again, not true. Video resolution is not limited to your screen size. You can still play 4k video on an iPhone 6.

It can support up to 1440p. On my g2 it supports 1080p.

This S6 phone is ravenous for data, how can I control it?-uploadfromtaptalk1431314690823.jpg

Sent from my AT&T LG G2
    05-10-2015 10:25 PM
    Some may not have that option / luxury though. So unfortunately not all can just go with a carrier that has unlimited.
    Come on. It's Sprint. Anyone can go with that option....may not have great service....but......
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-11-2015 02:35 AM

Just helping to show that in the S6 you have upto 1440p on the app.

Beemed to you with the GS6
    05-11-2015 05:04 AM

That is not correct for the YouTube app on the S6... My S6 can get 1440p (see below)... Are you only seeing 720 on your S6? Ensure you're selecting a 1440 video otherwise you won't see it.
    Attached Thumbnails This S6 phone is ravenous for data, how can I control it?-1431354266957.jpg  
    05-11-2015 09:32 AM
    That is not correct for the YouTube app on the S6... My S6 can get 1440p (see below)... Are you only seeing 720 on your S6? Ensure you're selecting a 1440 video otherwise you won't see it.
    He could have a glitch... I remember some on the note 4 having a problem where youtube would only be 720p.

05-11-2015 09:44 AM
38 12