This S6 phone is ravenous for data, how can I control it?

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new member, first time poster...

I've just ended a three-generation-long relationship with iPhone and shacked up with the Galaxy S6; my first Samsung since the T259 like, 100 years ago. My question is in regards to conserving data usage. I have a simple monthly plan which allows for 1GB of data. With the iPhones, this was easy to stay within because I could actually individually turn off data for specific apps and leave only the ones I use daily (browser, email, text, banking) enabled. In my limited knowledge of the S6 (although it grows, daily) it seems that turning data on and off is an all-or-nothing feature. Is this correct?

For instance, since receiving this Galaxy S6, I seem to have used 800MB of data in seven days. At this rate, I'm going to be going over on my data every month (me: $$ = :mad: and :'(). So far, I've enabled Restrict Background Data and configured Set Mobile Data Limit - but I know the latter is only simply a warning and something I can override. I've tried talking to a Samsung rep at the store however I seem to have known more about this phone than he did! All he really shared with me was how jealous he was that I had the S6. Then, I've chatted with online support but it seems as though the moment the agent read the word 'data' he gave me some copy/paste instruction to contact my service provider. So, that's that.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Thank you! And, bear with me,

Andrea

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried going into Settings--Acounts and disabling anything you don't want to auto sync?

I did this for the Samsung account, not because of data, bit because of battery. Bit I am pretty sure it would help lower some data usage, not sure how much.

Also, the account for google wants to sync all kinds of stuff, Doc, Drive, Google Fit...etc...I turned off auto sync for the stuff I dont want to sync, technically, you can turn it off for everything, just don't forget to manually sync occassionlally...

Not sure if this will help you much, but best of luck regardless

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, new member, first time poster...

I've just ended a three-generation-long relationship with iPhone and shacked up with the Galaxy S6; my first Samsung since the T259 like, 100 years ago. My question is in regards to conserving data usage. I have a simple monthly plan which allows for 1GB of data. With the iPhones, this was easy to stay within because I could actually individually turn off data for specific apps and leave only the ones I use daily (browser, email, text, banking) enabled. In my limited knowledge of the S6 (although it grows, daily) it seems that turning data on and off is an all-or-nothing feature. Is this correct?

For instance, since receiving this Galaxy S6, I seem to have used 800MB of data in seven days. At this rate, I'm going to be going over on my data every month (me: $$ = :mad: and :'(). So far, I've enabled Restrict Background Data and configured Set Mobile Data Limit - but I know the latter is only simply a warning and something I can override. I've tried talking to a Samsung rep at the store however I seem to have known more about this phone than he did! All he really shared with me was how jealous he was that I had the S6. Then, I've chatted with online support but it seems as though the moment the agent read the word 'data' he gave me some copy/paste instruction to contact my service provider. So, that's that.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Thank you! And, bear with me,

Andrea

What did you have off on your iPhone?

What apps do you frequently use?

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I've used iOS, but one thing that was different was the way apps update.
On Android, your apps typically do an auto-update through the Google Play Store. My iOS experience was that I had to manually update that.

This may or may not be affecting you... but it's worth looking. Open the Play Store and go into settings. Make sure that you have it set to either NOT auto-update, or better yet, set it to only auto-update when you're on wifi.

Philip Manwaring

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Here's how to track down what's going on:

1. Go to settings
2. Go to the "Connections" tab and then tap "Data Usage"
3. The phone will show the data usage graph.
4. Scroll that graph page up and you'll see beneath it a list of usage by app. This will show you which apps are using all the data.

I've found no particular need on my Android phones to limit background data usage at the operating system level. Usually if there's an app using a lot of data you can spot it from this list and reconfigure it to only do whatever it's doing while on WiFi.

Hope this helps and enjoy your shiny new S6!

Best,
Philip.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Also, you have an HD screen now. Everything comes in a higher resolution now. Especially YouTube

Last edited:

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Mike! I just went into accounts and turned off synching where I could. I'll see if this makes a difference when my plan refreshes on the 11th.

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
What did you have off on your iPhone?

What apps do you frequently use?

I essentially had everything disabled except banking, browsing, maps, and WhatsApp. Whenever I needed an app (to check Facebook, for example), I'd just enable the data, then turn it off again. It really helped save on data use because FB alone can be huge.

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
It's been a while since I've used iOS, but one thing that was different was the way apps update.
On Android, your apps typically do an auto-update through the Google Play Store. My iOS experience was that I had to manually update that.

This may or may not be affecting you... but it's worth looking. Open the Play Store and go into settings. Make sure that you have it set to either NOT auto-update, or better yet, set it to only auto-update when you're on wifi.

Done. WiFi only now. TY!

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
90509e6bcb5d10a1be2fd067ab7aceab.jpg

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That seems a little weird. Why don't you try going to Settings > Application Manager > All and clearing the data on Knox and restart the phone?

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Cleared it and wiped data but it didn't bothered me...Just info for the topicstarter.

Hour overview is fb on top.
Day overview still is Knox.
This week Knox is on 11th place with 3% of the total data usage.

e6e40501816237de16572e85290ab5e8.jpg

Philip Manwaring

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you using Facebook a lot? The app has a setting to disab look e video auto play which may help. If you're not using it much you can disable FB sync and notifications. My FB barely uses any data. Also, you can disable Knox if you're not using it.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Facebook a lot? The app has a setting to disab look e video auto play which may help. If you're not using it much you can disable FB sync and notifications. My FB barely uses any data. Also, you can disable Knox if you're not using it.

Disabling Facebook and using it from a browser is always a good idea. However, Knox can't be disabled on my S6 I found but I've never had it eat up data like Enahmir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech