This S6 phone is ravenous for data, how can I control it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new member, first time poster...

I've just ended a three-generation-long relationship with iPhone and shacked up with the Galaxy S6; my first Samsung since the T259 like, 100 years ago. My question is in regards to conserving data usage. I have a simple monthly plan which allows for 1GB of data. With the iPhones, this was easy to stay within because I could actually individually turn off data for specific apps and leave only the ones I use daily (browser, email, text, banking) enabled. In my limited knowledge of the S6 (although it grows, daily) it seems that turning data on and off is an all-or-nothing feature. Is this correct?

Andrea

First.. Welcome to Android Central! I am glad you decided to join :D.

Second - No - you can control background data on a per app basis :).

Go to settings, data usage, and select the app you want to restrict background data for. Once you tap on it you can select to restrict background data for that app (see below).

This way it won't do anything in the background and will only pull data when the app is in the foreground... Or if you're on wifi.

Attachments

• 1431186787321.jpg
    1431186787321.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new member, first time poster...

I've just ended a three-generation-long relationship with iPhone and shacked up with the Galaxy S6; my first Samsung since the T259 like, 100 years ago. My question is in regards to conserving data usage. I have a simple monthly plan which allows for 1GB of data. With the iPhones, this was easy to stay within because I could actually individually turn off data for specific apps and leave only the ones I use daily (browser, email, text, banking) enabled. In my limited knowledge of the S6 (although it grows, daily) it seems that turning data on and off is an all-or-nothing feature. Is this correct?

For instance, since receiving this Galaxy S6, I seem to have used 800MB of data in seven days. At this rate, I'm going to be going over on my data every month (me: $$ = :mad: and :'(). So far, I've enabled Restrict Background Data and configured Set Mobile Data Limit - but I know the latter is only simply a warning and something I can override. I've tried talking to a Samsung rep at the store however I seem to have known more about this phone than he did! All he really shared with me was how jealous he was that I had the S6. Then, I've chatted with online support but it seems as though the moment the agent read the word 'data' he gave me some copy/paste instruction to contact my service provider. So, that's that.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Thank you! And, bear with me,

Andrea

Welcome to Android Central and Android!

I do not have the S6 myself, but have the other suggestions seemed to help? Or at the moment is it too early to tell?

I would guess the bigger suggestion would be the auto update over WiFi only suggestion.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
since receiving this Galaxy S6, I seem to have used 800MB of data in seven days.

One thing that's been overlooked is that a large chunk of this was probably app (and maybe OS-level) updates. If you're new to Android this can catch you off guard, and it can chew through a whole pile of data in minutes and ask for more besides - which is why I connect a new device to wifi as soon as I'm able - as in I make sure I can connect to wifi as soon as I put the password in. That way any apps I install or update will all pull the data through wifi and not my precious GBs.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
One thing that's been overlooked is that a large chunk of this was probably app (and maybe OS-level) updates. If you're new to Android this can catch you off guard, and it can chew through a whole pile of data in minutes and ask for more besides - which is why I connect a new device to wifi as soon as I'm able - as in I make sure I can connect to wifi as soon as I put the password in. That way any apps I install or update will all pull the data through wifi and not my precious GBs.

That's what i would do but i have unlimited data. Never have to worry about micro management.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's what i would do but i have unlimited data. Never have to worry about micro management.

Some may not have that option / luxury though. So unfortunately not all can just go with a carrier that has unlimited.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It's been a while since I've used iOS, but one thing that was different was the way apps update.
On Android, your apps typically do an auto-update through the Google Play Store. My iOS experience was that I had to manually update that.

This may or may not be affecting you... but it's worth looking. Open the Play Store and go into settings. Make sure that you have it set to either NOT auto-update, or better yet, set it to only auto-update when you're on wifi.
iOS also auto updates apps but you can turn it off as well.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. My plan refreshed as of today so I'll see how the data is used through the month. I know someone mentioned it as well, but I ended up disabling/uninstalling the FB app and just ended up bookmarking the mobile website instead.

I've tweaked synching and fiddled with restricting background data, but, what surprises me is I still seem to get notifications that suggest that app is still running on data. Then again, I'm not entirely clear on what "restricting background data" actually does. One iPhone it was all or nothing from a user level, data on or off... there was no background or foreground data being used.

I also installed My Data Manager and noticed that GooglePlay seems to use the most data - is this something I can just end in running applications? I tried ending it once, got the warning, and then launched it again just fine.

I have another question that is slightly off topic ... how do texting images work? I notice that when someone sends me an image I have to actually click a download button vs the texted image just coming straight through. Is this because of something I've changed regarding trying to save on data? I also notice that my photos seem to often be too large and I can't send more than two at a time. How can I change the resolution of the photos I can text?

Thank you!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not true at all. The resolution of your device has little to no bearing on youtube streaming.

It does make a difference. Running youtube at the highest setting on a iphone 6 will use a lot less data than on a s6 at the highest setting. Of course, you can change the quality of the stream, just pointing out that streaming can vary depending on the device

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It does make a difference. Running youtube at the highest setting on a iphone 6 will use a lot less data than on a s6 at the highest setting. Of course, you can change the quality of the stream, just pointing out that streaming can vary depending on the device

Once again, not true. Video resolution is not limited to your screen size. You can still play 4k video on an iPhone 6.

As for youtube, the highest setting you can even choose in the app is 720p.

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Golfdriver, thanks! I've tried all the suggestions and will see how this month goes because my plan resets as of today.

Thanks for checking in.

Welcome to Android Central and Android!

I do not have the S6 myself, but have the other suggestions seemed to help? Or at the moment is it too early to tell?

I would guess the bigger suggestion would be the auto update over WiFi only suggestion.

WBSnow

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
One option you may want to try is to use Wi-Fi as much as possible. Where ever I go or am, I try to use the free Wi-Fi, which helps with data usage. Depending on your carrier also helps. AT&T has a promotion of free Roll-over data each month....

WBS

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Once again, not true. Video resolution is not limited to your screen size. You can still play 4k video on an iPhone 6.

It can support up to 1440p. On my g2 it supports 1080p.

uploadfromtaptalk1431314690823.jpg

Sent from my AT&T LG G2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Just helping to show that in the S6 you have upto 1440p on the app.

7d3053d716ed7e8e001478060a75053e.jpg

Beemed to you with the GS6

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That is not correct for the YouTube app on the S6... My S6 can get 1440p (see below)... Are you only seeing 720 on your S6? Ensure you're selecting a 1440 video otherwise you won't see it.

Attachments

• 1431354266957.jpg
    1431354266957.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 14

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is not correct for the YouTube app on the S6... My S6 can get 1440p (see below)... Are you only seeing 720 on your S6? Ensure you're selecting a 1440 video otherwise you won't see it.
He could have a glitch... I remember some on the note 4 having a problem where youtube would only be 720p.