Using Galaxy S6 in Europe

del2484

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Can I use a SIM card in Europe with my Verizon S6? I know there are some issues with CDMA/GSM. Verizon has a data plan but I'll be there for a month and $25/100MB is less than ideal.

Thanks.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Can I use a SIM card in Europe with my Verizon S6? I know there are some issues with CDMA/GSM. Verizon has a data plan but I'll be there for a month and $25/100MB is less than ideal. Thanks.

If you are only going to one country in Europe I would get the phone unlocked and use a local sim, else there is an abundance of free WiFi in hotels cafe's etc to keep your usage down

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you are only going to one country in Europe I would get the phone unlocked and use a local sim, else there is an abundance of free WiFi in hotels cafe's etc to keep your usage down

Thats what he was asking about. And the phone is factory unlocked already.

del2484

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll be visiting seven different countries, so a local sim in each would be quite a pain. There's nothing that has the same data plan across Europe? If not, the data plan for Verizon may make the most sense.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'll be visiting seven different countries, so a local sim in each would be quite a pain. There's nothing that has the same data plan across Europe? If not, the data plan for Verizon may make the most sense.

No sorry I don't think there is. There are some international sims available (they use to sell them on some airlines) but not sure if this was more for just calls than data but its worth looking into but I suspect it wont be significantly cheaper. The EU are trying to clamp down on cross country charges but currently you still get stung.

You are also not guaranteed connection as it depends who Verizon have agreements with. I think you will be able to adapt to a WiFi regime quite quickly if you are in major cities and hotels are easy.

Most countries also have an automated SMS message on arrival that advises you on call charges etc and they often offer a plan that does not require a sim these may help you supplement your Verizon roaming charge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon s6 is already factory sim unlocked. You can use a local sim

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

macbak281

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I recently tried to use a local sim card for my S6 from Verizon while in Dublin, Ireland on vacation, it would not work.
When I returned to the US called Verizon and was told before they would unlock the phone needed to be paid off fully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool