What is Knox and how does it work on the GS6?

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So when searching, I only find basic info. I want to know what does it do to the GS6 if installed or activated.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
In a nutshell, it's all about security. It sets up a virtual/sandboxed area for work, keeping it from mingling with the personal side. Looks good for devices in an enterprise that have/use sensitive data, especially that it can integrate with AD, but has an added cost for managing. It gets real deep real quick at this point.
For the average user that's not going to use there device in a sensitive enterprise environment, Knox has no purpose, so far.

GeorgeChief

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I use it for My financial/banking apps and info. My best understanding is that stuff in Knox is secured from the rest of the phone, like what they call "Chinese Wall". The unsecured side cannot access info behind the wall. Therefore, if the phone got compromised by malware or a WiFi intruder, the info remains safe. It was set up to meet some govt security standard so federal law enforcement could used it.

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Another good explanation GeorgeChief! Any Knox stuff is in it's own little world.

Another tid-bit, if anyone is thinking about rooting, it will trip the Knox counter and Knox will not work. Root is considered a breach in security.
Even where I work, and we don't use Knox, we have a BYOD program set in place, and rooted android devices can not get exchange mail through AirWatch.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about rooting the S6. Some devs over at XDA with previous devices running Knox, have been able to root without tripping it. So I might wait until they figure out the S6 to do the same.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So in my job we have access to the enterprise account through an app called Good for enterprise. They enforce a lock screen on the device and a password to access the app. If I activate knox, will this allow me to install the Good app within knox so it won't ask for a lock screen on the non-knox part of the phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay